Engineers Pristine Metallic near Engineer Selene Jean

I'd recommend going to an inhabited system with a pristine metallic ring. Why? Because if you can handle RES sites, your chances of finding painite become much better. Plus you can count on system security to back you up too. I went to Delkar with my Imperial Cutter, and got 14 painite in a High RES there quite quickly - 11 from a single asteroid, in fact. However, I had to fight off pirates constantly (thank you for the turret buff, FD!), so prepare for fun times I'd also recommend winging up.
Low RES-es are much easier though, and still offer improved chances and yields over "regular" mining.

Last edited:
I'd recommend going to an inhabited system with a pristine metallic ring. Why? Because if you can handle RES sites, your chances of finding painite become much better. Plus you can count on system security to back you up too. I went to Delkar with my Imperial Cutter, and got 14 painite in a High RES there quite quickly - 11 from a single asteroid, in fact. However, I had to fight off pirates constantly (thank you for the turret buff, FD!), so prepare for fun times I'd also recommend winging up.
Low RES-es are much easier though, and still offer improved chances and yields over "regular" mining.

I am 99% sure there is 0 difference between mining at a RES or mining at some random ring location. I have done quite a lot of mining and have tested this a number of times (including at Delkar incidentally). I highly recommend not using the RES zones. Just drop into a random spot on the ring. You'll have 100% uninterrupted mining (except for the initial scripted AI that show up when you first drop in to the ring location).

I think the same code is used to randomly dictate what quantity of mine-able resources you'll get when you drop in to a ring location, weather it's a RES zone (high or low etc) or just some random spot on the ring. In other words..you may drop into a random ring location and the Panite quantity seems rubbish, but you drop in again and now its great...same thing can happen with the RES zones. I think its the same "dice roll" code that is used in other places when you "drop into" an instance (like determining what Ai spawn at a RES zone, what resources are on a planet surface etc)

Again, this is just my theory on mining based on my observations.

Last edited:
I am 99% sure there is 0 difference between mining at a RES or mining at some random ring location. I have done quite a lot of mining and have tested this a number of times (including at Delkar incidentally). I highly recommend not using the RES zones. Just drop into a random spot on the ring. You'll have 100% uninterrupted mining (except for the initial scripted AI that show up when you first drop in to the ring location).

I think the same code is used to randomly dictate what quantity of mine-able resources you'll get when you drop in to a ring location, weather it's a RES zone (high or low etc) or just some random spot on the ring. In other words..you may drop into a random ring location and the Panite quantity seems rubbish, but you drop in again and now its great...same thing can happen with the RES zones. I think its the same "dice roll" code that is used in other places when you "drop into" an instance (like determining what Ai spawn at a RES zone, what resources are on a planet surface etc)

Again, this is just my theory on mining based on my observations.

Totally agree. Don't mine in a res site, unless you like getting hammered!

By the way, mine until your cargo hold is full, and then sell everything to her base - that way you can rank up quite fast. I sold her 528 tons of some random commodity and ranked from Grade 1 0% to Grade 2 12% immediately.

Bumping this thread because I found it after a quick google and the location was perfect. First painite 'roid I found yielded 12 tons. Quick and painless for unlocking Selene.

do you need to bring the 10 units all at one time?
thanks

well I found more Painite:D

so I'm good.

Still if anyone knows my origin question. Perhaps add answer for future commanders.

o7

Last edited:
Bumping this thread because I found it after a quick google and the location was perfect. First painite 'roid I found yielded 12 tons. Quick and painless for unlocking Selene.
Thanks for bumping :) Yes, people still play ED, because it's a good game. I lost my tatty worn-out notepad and I can't find it anywhere, lol.

New players, players who have lost all their notes:
Gonna be thorough, to assist in future searches, because most of the others are garbage. Most people doing this kind of search will have already been informed of unlocking Selene, by mining 500 Tonnes of rock. But once that's unlocked Selene, she wants you to bring her 10 units of Painite, so you may as well get that before going there only to have to go back out again.

Painite mining location:
System: LFT 65 / planet: 4 / Inner ring [A] Pristine reserves.
(Outfit a Discovery Scanner and more importantly, a Detailed Surface scanner. It's not too far from KUK System, where https://inara.cz/galaxy-engineer/8/Selene Jean, the Engineer for Hull reinforcement, is located).

I'm using a Python; Hardpoints- 3 Large, 2 Medium [slots].
[x2] 2D-mining beam Lasers, 2B-Sub-surface missile Launcher, 1D-Abrasion blaster, and in one of the L Hardpoints, (in the prow slot, for central accuracy), I have got a 2B Seismic launcher, just in case I feel like blasting out some cores for fun :)

Top Bottom