Procyonids (aka, raccoon family)

Ok, so, we don't have any members of the raccoon family. So here is a list of all the species:

• Raccoons
    Raccoon_climbing_in_tree_-_Cropped_and_color_corrected.jpg
  1. Raccoon
  2. Cozumel raccoon
  3. Crab-eating raccoon

• Coati
    180px-Nasenbaer_Nasua_nasua_Zoo_Augsburg-04.jpg
  1. Western mountain coati
  2. Eastern mountain coati
  3. White-nosed coati
  4. South American coati
  • Kinkajou
    Potos_flavus_(22985770100).jpg
  1. Kinkajou
  • Ring-tail cat
    180px-Squaw-ringtail-28073.jpg
  1. North American ringtail
  2. Cacomistle
  • Olingo
    177px-Bushy_tailed_olingo.jpg
  1. Western lowland olingo
  2. Olinguito
  3. Northern olingo
  4. Eastern lowland olingo

Personally, I'd be happy with 1 member from each type:

1. Raccoon
2. North American ringtail
3. White-nosed coati coati
4. Kinkajou
5. Northern olingo

What about y'all?

Last edited:
I really want to have a raccoon. I know for Americans it's not an exciting animal to see in a zoo and that they are causing problems in some places in Europe where they are a pest. However, I've seen them in some European zoos and I really enjoy watching them. They are very smart and playful with the enrichment items. I also saw many of them in a park in Canada and I loved seeing the babies.

Unfortunately, the raccoon from my local zoo was sent to the Netherlands and I can't see it anymore.

I'd definitely want a coati out of this if anything. Raccoons to me are too "common" for zoos, but that's just the North American bias talking. I'm sure people in other continents are less excited about their common animals than we over in North America are, so I get why there would be some interest.

I really want to have a raccoon. I know for Americans it's not an exciting animal to see in a zoo and that they are causing problems in some places in Europe where they are a pest. However, I've seen them in some European zoos and I really enjoy watching them. They are very smart and playful with the enrichment items. I also saw many of them in a park in Canada and I loved seeing the babies.

Unfortunately, the raccoon from my local zoo was sent to the Netherlands and I can't see it anymore.
I see them all the time, but it's always fun to watch them (Especially since the domesticated ones remind me of weird cats).

It's a shame they are a pest in Europe and that your zoo got rid of them. I visited a small zoo, and they had a small family in a cage. Well, when I got close to them they stick their hands out begging for some food (for a while this zoo wasn't the best, but it's improved since)

I'd definitely want a coati out of this if anything. Raccoons to me are too "common" for zoos, but that's just the North American bias talking. I'm sure people in other continents are less excited about their common animals than we over in North America are, so I get why there would be some interest.
Yeah, I know the feeling. But I've learned that every animal is interesting, and those that I see often, like white-tailed deer, I'm excited for even those.

I can picture the world begging for gibbons, and people in SE Asia are like: "I see them all the time. Nothing special. Now if it's a coyote we're talking about..."😆

It's a shame they are a pest in Europe and that your zoo got rid of them.
If I understood it right, the raccoon at the zoo was rescued from someone who had it at home and couldn't take care of it anymore. They kept it at the zoo for a while but they ended up sending the raccoon to a zoo which had more raccoons so that it had a better life.

I just remembered that when I was in New York I also saw some wild raccoons in central park. I guess all these different good memories make me want this animal in the game. I also liked Meeko from Pocahontas as a kid 😂

Coatis all the way! Ringtails and kinkajous would be dope too.

It feels unlikely at this point, but a Central America pack would be a great spot to slide in some of these critters!

Coatis all the way! Ringtails and kinkajous would be dope too.

It feels unlikely at this point, but a Central America pack would be a great spot to slide in some of these critters!
Hey, yeah. At least 1 member of each type is found in that range. Also would be a great inclusion for primates

Raccoons would be so great. Maybe with a dark brown Color Mutation so we'll also have Raccoons that look like the European Population.

I see them all the time, but it's always fun to watch them (Especially since the domesticated ones remind me of weird cats).
There are domesticated Raccoons? I do only know about the Barbados Raccoon which might have evolved from Raccoons that were kept as Pets. This Topic reminded me that I should look up if there are any existing Photos and they look very interesting. They had blonde Fur without any Markings

Well, more like tamed, I guess. Because I've seen videos of people having them like normal pets.

There's a big Difference between domesticated and tamed. That's why it bothers me so much that Frontier still hasn't fixed Domesticated in the German Version of the Zoopedia where it shows up as tame.
Edit : can't watch the Link but I'm aware that Raccoons can be kept as Pets and that it is a extremely big Challenge

There's a big Difference between domesticated and tamed. That's why it bothers me so much that Frontier still hasn't fixed Domesticated in the German Version of the Zoopedia where it shows up as tame.
Edit : can't watch the Link but I'm aware that Raccoons can be kept as Pets and that it is a extremely big Challenge
As I understand it raccoons are basically like big rats as pets. Both are extremely clever, wily, and curious, both will eat anything they can get their hands on, but the difference is that raccoons are too large to be contained in a cage like rats so they're much more difficult to manage.

They're cute but I definitely wouldn't want one as a pet.

As for the game, the basic common raccoon would be a neat addition, I think.

As I understand it raccoons are basically like big rats as pets. Both are extremely clever, wily, and curious, both will eat anything they can get their hands on, but the difference is that raccoons are too large to be contained in a cage like rats so they're much more difficult to manage.

They're cute but I definitely wouldn't want one as a pet.

As for the game, the basic common raccoon would be a neat addition, I think.
Don't forget their destructive Behavior when they are too bored. It's also extremely important to keep at least 2 Raccoons together. People need to research as much as possible before getting a new Pet. There's a japanese Raccoon Population too because they became very popular as Pets thanks to the Anime Adaptation of Rascal
Edit: just realized, this would be the perfect Opportunity to add a Education Board about invasive Species to the Game
and awesome Food Enrichment where the Animals need to climb😃

Last edited:
How interesting that raccoons are the 1st choice, then coati, then kinkajou. Olingos haven't received any notice, and ringtail cats not much either

Top Bottom