Product Update - Planet Coaster is coming to Steam

Edward Lewis1

Frontier
Hey everyone!

We have exciting news and some important information for all Planet Coaster Pre Order members including Early bird bundle, Coaster Head bundle, Deluxe bundle and standard pre order.

After many requests we have decided to re-assure you by confirming early that Planet Coaster will be available on Steam. Every one of our amazing community of players and future players who have already ordered the game will be able to generate a free Steam key from our Frontier Store which they can add to their Steam game library.
We can also reveal today that Alpha 3 will be released on 23 August - we’re really excited to share development progress with you!

Another benefit of announcing Steam integration early is that the community features that debut in Planet Coaster’s Alpha 3 build on Steamworks functionality so we can prioritise and test the Steam support as early as possible.

Although Alpha will not be available to buy through Steam, if you are an Alpha player you will need to have a Steam account to access Alpha 3. This is because we are adding Steamworks at this stage in the development. We will contact you nearer the time with details on how to redeem your free Steam key.

Finally, we wanted to let you know that we are going to be closing Alpha to new players on 25 August. Current Alpha players or those who upgrade or order before that date will continue to be able to play the Alpha until just before Beta (dates to be announced in due course), and we will continue to support the Alpha until that time.

We have a detailed FAQ available here including details on how to create a free Steam account if you don’t already have one - please do take a look and if you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to ask.

EDIT RE $5 limitations - We've spoken with Steam and they were really helpful on this matter. Anybody who already owns Planet Coaster will receive a code that waives the initial $5 account limitation. Basically if you haven't got a Steam account already, the code you receive from us will de-limit new accounts.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got the e-mail.
I think its a good choice, besides i am using steam for decades so it realy dont mind.
Prefer having all my games in one place :)

Yay! Hopefully the weekly streams with Ed & guests will start next week again. Looking forward to all the new things we get in Alpha 3.

NOOOOOO that is the week me school starts[cry][cry][cry][cry]
now i have to try not to cry.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

so i think te first live stream wil be on the 3rd

Only three things which worries me a bit about Steam:
1. Too much power in one hand.
2. Seems, when i look at RCTW, if a blueprint/ UGC is pulled from the workshop it is gone.
Correct me please if i am wrong there.
3. I cannot review there, because i haven't bought something at Steam yet. All my keys come from outside. (Either game was bought in store with DVD or i got it because it was implemented into Steam)

Last edited:
Im a little confused. Will Alpha owners get access to the beta?

Yes, they will

READ THE FAQ: https://support.frontier.co.uk/kb/f...Developments Ltd&dm_i=3F35,9XXX,3AG8GT,XWDP,1

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Only three things which worries me a bit about Steam:
1. Too much power in one hand (valve)
2. Seems, when i look at RCTW, when a blueprint is pulled from the workshop it is gone.
Correct me please if i am wrong there.
3. I cannot review Planet Coaster, because i haven't bought soemthing at Steam yet. All my keys come from outside. (Either game was bought in store or i got it because it was implemented into Steam)

1. What exactly are you thinking they could do?

2. That is both correct and wrong, depending on game. For example, if a item is removed from Cities Skylines workshop, the subscribers can still use the item, bu no new users can subscribe to it. TLDR: It doesn't disappear from the game just because it disappeared from Workshop. (I don't own RCTW so can't comment on that game in particular)

3. When Alpha 3 is released you have received a steam key, giving you the full access to the game on the steam platform. Its just like any other game on steam. It gets a forum, a store page, and review-ability.

I don't like it if everything is concentrated.

Well i didn't read what went wrong at RCTW in detail, but there had been some issues with pulled UGC if i remember corretly. It was still in the saved games, but couldn't be build anymore.
I don't know if this still a topic, but some here have a better overview then me.

You are wrong there. You can review at Steam when you bought a Minimum of €5,- (I think it was) at Steam directly. I tried to review Parkitect and i am not allowed to. At least that is the message i got.

Last edited:
Top Bottom