Prof. Palin glitch

Hello everyone,
I'm working on unlocking the engineers and I've noticed an apparent glitch:
Prof. Palin has listed be as having traveled 0.0 Ly from my home system out of the 5000 he is requiring to meet him.
I've already unlocked Elvira and I have traveled around a bit doing missions ~100Ly from my home system since being told of Palin my Marco Qwent.

Hello everyone,
Prof. Palin has listed be as having traveled 0.0 Ly from my home system out of the 5000 he is requiring to meet him.
I've already unlocked Elvira and I have traveled around a bit doing missions ~100Ly from my home system since being told of Palin my Marco Qwent.

That "traveled 0.0 Ly " doesn't look right. Go into your Codex. Commander > Stats > Exploration.
There you will see Max Distance From Start. That is the distance that counts.

The point was for players to setup a ship for a little exploration and go out 5000LY and back. I did it with a passenger mission in an Orca. With the arrival of fleet carriers with 10 jumps out and back the game may have less explorers who know what they are doing.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
You can see your actual max distance from start in your commander section of the codex. Pailin will not note your travel until you pass the 5000LY (at which point he will somehow email you whilst you are in the middle of nowhere!!)

I have the same issue and I did definitely travel more than 5000 LY from my starting system. I haven't played the game in years, but back in Beta, I did a exploration trip to EE Cephei, which is like 6500 LY away from the Bubble, as far as I can remember.
Seems my travel distance achievements were wiped in the years of my absence, even though everything else (like the money and ships I had) was still there when I came back to the game.

hi all, i am finding the same thing with Palin. however i am also finding that the codex is saying that my max distance from start is 1728ly but i am currently over 2500ly away.. has anyone else found this? its gonna suck if i do the 5k and dont get Palin at the end of it...

I have the same issue and I did definitely travel more than 5000 LY from my starting system. I haven't played the game in years, but back in Beta, I did a exploration trip to EE Cephei, which is like 6500 LY away from the Bubble, as far as I can remember.
Seems my travel distance achievements were wiped in the years of my absence, even though everything else (like the money and ships I had) was still there when I came back to the game.

Beta is Beta.. You will have to do the trip again as those Ly do not count

hi all, i am finding the same thing with Palin. however i am also finding that the codex is saying that my max distance from start is 1728ly but i am currently over 2500ly away.. has anyone else found this? its gonna suck if i do the 5k and dont get Palin at the end of it...

Codex measures from Sol. You did not start @ Sol.. Tho the 700ish ly difference is too big indeed

Codex measures from Sol. You did not start @ Sol.. Tho the 700ish ly difference is too big indeed
i did wonder this but yeah i was still expecting it to have gone up. i am also doing this using my Fleet Carrier so i though maybe it was something to do with that.

so it seems if you do this in a FC then it doesnt register youre distance untill you leave the carrier and jump to another system. i have just done that and it now show my distance as 3208ly from start but does not change untill i take a ship out and jump to a new system. hope that makes sense lol

I may be wrong but, when I started playing LHS 3447 was the start of my journey in elite, there was no beginners' area then. All distance measurements referred to this point as the start point. So find which station and system you landed in on day one and that is your start point.

I may be wrong but, when I started playing LHS 3447 was the start of my journey in elite, there was no beginners' area then. All distance measurements referred to this point as the start point. So find which station and system you landed in on day one and that is your start point.

That was one of the starting points in the early days. The starting point changed with the starting option you picked. LHS 3447 was my starting point. I think.

so it seems if you do this in a FC then it doesnt register youre distance untill you leave the carrier and jump to another system. i have just done that and it now show my distance as 3208ly from start but does not change untill i take a ship out and jump to a new system. hope that makes sense lol
Have thought about this a little and if what you are saying is you're doing this in a fleet carrier and it is not registering your distance. This is because you are not actually travelling, as you are sitting in a "relative station" while it travels. Hence the game does not register you as "actually" travelling the distance required. I think this is a good thing with the FC's as it keeps all of the "rites of passage" and "endurance" achievements intact that many many CMDRs have historically completed before FC's.
If my thinking is correct then Kudos to Fdev for thinking about this.

Top Bottom