ps4 bugs , new update, 23 april 2019

The last update, while improving some areas, have created havoc in others. I'm surprised that they haven't moved on the FSS bug yet. It seems to be widespread. Also, now that I'm back in the Bubble, just noticed that COMBAT AFTERMATH (Threat 1) is still empty. This was an issue after the Dec 11 2018 update.

Interesting points Duck, but they do apply specific fixes platform dependant, but I wonder if they test it on the Xbox and PS4 before releasing as well. Starting to think the answer is no.

Not all machines are created equal.

Gary

Does anyone have problems with setting bookmarks on PS4? Since the April Update I cannot set any bookmarks, not on the Galaxy or the System map. Just nothing happens when selecting "set bookmark". Did delete a few old bookmarks (thinking about a potential max. limit for bookmarks) but didn't help.
And since the patch update today the bookmark icon has disappeared from the System map...it's just a blank button now.
There is a limit on boomarks.ypure probably full and ned to dump som.

This engine allows the game teams to develop and debug their titles primarily on PC, without the need to concern themselves with the technical details of the individual target platforms unless necessary. It also makes for clean, structured code where the game logic only needs one set of verification at the beta stage of the project, greatly reducing the amount of testing time required for additional platform versions of a game.

Old Duck, I work on a very similar overall architecture, and we develop and debug primarily on Windows machines because only a small fraction of our codebase is platform dependent. As a dev I read it as "we have a game engine that takes care of platform specific stuff under the hood, we just develop on PC and 99%+ of the time, it works just the same on other platforms." Which is just the way it should be. I wouldn't read any more into it.

The fact that they probably just barely test the end result on all non-PC platforms, let alone test extensively to figure out stuff like your darling nemesis EBL before it hits production, is another thing entirely. While I think FDev definitely should NOT be reinventing the wheel by maintaining their own game engine, the quoted part is actually a modern best practice of game development. The platform specific stuff should only be a concern for engine developers, not game developers.

I've only played for about 30 minutes since the April update, but interestingly performance has not been an issue for me on my PS4 Slim over the years, with the exception of those things that haunt everyone for a long time now - framerate drop when side panel is open, stutter in supercruise, etc.

Having done a bit of experimenting yesterday in a system that had one of those weird star density anomalies (half the sky densely starred, then a hard border line with the other half of the sky almost devoid of stars) I can confirm that star density definitely affects performance - at least on my standard PS4. Pitching and rolling (in supercruise) over the clear portion of sky = smooth as you like. Pitching and rolling (still in supercruise) over the densely starred bit = slowdown, stutters, pops, even great jumps in movement sometimes.

I know the sky background in each system is accurate, and I love that. I'll also admit I'm not a coder or game developer, but I am a professional TV & film animator and I've had experience of building/generating these sort of environments. This sort of behaviour strongly implies to me that the background stars are being continuously generated. Now, if I were making a 'scene' of an ED star system instance in an animation package I might want to generate the stars from the galaxy model at first for accuracy and continuity, but then I'd immediately bake them to a spherical image and use them as an environment map - much less processor intensive (at least in animation, but I repeat - I'm not a games coder). I guess if that's how their game engine works, then that's what they do.

To your last point, I honestly don't think Frontier writes PS4 code anymore. From their website regarding the Cobra engine (emphasis mine):

I'm pretty sure that in Frontier's reasoning, they see the PS4 as an individual platform "without the need to concern themselves with", despite this being far from the truth. I sometimes wonder if they still have a PS4 team for Elite Dangerous. 🤷‍♂️
Okay, then (sadly) that's a very specific Frontier Developments problem. I've not seen that Cobra engine info before. That does seem to imply they do no optimisation at all for non-PC platforms (in the section you emphasised the phrase "unless necessary" suggests only critical customisation to simply make things work rather than optimisation to make things better). As a console gamer I read that as "No Frontier Developments game is ever going to fulfil its potential on consoles, nor match graphic performance of games from other developers who optimise specifically for consoles". Disappointing if that's the case.

As PS5 has now been announced as being backwards compatible with PS4 games I wonder what that will look like when we get the first 'New Era' update, which may well be about the same time as PS5 launches.

Quick feedback for the bookmark issue I reported a few days ago.
I deleted quite a few bookmarks and I am now able to set new bookmarks again, so obviously I have reached the limit. It looks like this is set to 150.

I realised there was a limit while bookmarking all the waypoints in DW2, but never bothered to count, so thanks for doing that!

Even with a limit of 150, there really needs to be a search/filter box to enable faster navigation to bookmarks in the list.

Wow - they added so many more bugs with this last update huh? Good work. I mean we were getting bored because the old bugs were being fixed and we really needed some new ones to complain about, or some older ones resurrected.

The platform specific stuff should only be a concern for engine developers, not game developers.
Oh I agree wholeheartedly, but I'll also argue that the Cobra game engine has been neglected on PS4 after the initial launch. Graphics have gotten worse (performance for some, visuals for others), networking has always been crap, etc. IIRC, the Cobra game engine is a huge part of ED, and Frontier should have a team working on it constantly to fix and improve it, until it's "right". Evidence is to the contrary, however..
As a console gamer I read that as "No Frontier Developments game is ever going to fulfil its potential on consoles, nor match graphic performance of games from other developers who optimise specifically for consoles". Disappointing if that's the case.
Of this I have no doubt. Now to be fair, I don't expect a cross-platform game to compete with a console exclusive. If I compare a game like Horizon Zero Dawn to Rise of the Tomb Raider, HZD wins (especially in shadow quality). Same with Spider-Man. This is why I actually like console exclusives, as long as my console gets the good exclusives ;)

However, the Tomb Raider series shows that even a cross-platform game can look darn good and work relatively flawless. I'm sure there are bugs in ROTR, but nothing that has jumped out at me. There is no excuse for ED to be in the state that it's in on PS4. No excuse.

Guest193293

G
I'm not sure if it's related to the last update but I'm in sol right now for the first time and Earth textures are not loaded correctly, textures are in low quality. Never happened on any earth-like world I've seen before.

I'm not sure if it's related to the last update but I'm in sol right now for the first time and Earth textures are not loaded correctly, textures are in low quality. Never happened on any earth-like world I've seen before.
Another zombie bug (one we had long ago, Frontier fixes, and then it comes back again later).

I had 3 PS4 blue screen crashes today. All 3 were identical, I was in a busy ax cz and opened the contacts panel and tried to scroll down ... Boom. :(

Relentless, potential OS corrupting, Error C34878-0 blue screens when jumping to sc in a wing. Like EVERY jump someone crashes.

Regardless of the fact that my internet connection works fine for every other PS4 app, all day I get error messages that my internet is not fast enough for ED or that I need to check for updates. Sometimes I get in eventually, but it takes forever.

Top Bottom