PS4 Fresh Galaxy/Unexplored?

I was thinking about this due to other posts and threads, are we joining the galaxy that PC and XBOX have been exploring? or does each "platform" have their own?

will a PS4 user have a blank slate so to speak? I have never played the game before so this would be nice for me.

I mean its so big its a bit irrelevant, but it would be nice to have a clean slate so on day 1 there is more to put your name to.....

Please check the FAQ before posting. We 'join' the existing galaxy as it were.

Salt much?
Frontier FAQ doesn't really say much, and asking him to read through 17 pages of the FAQ sticky here is a bit harsh.
I've read conflicting things on this and would like clarification also. 'Existing galaxy' doesn't really tell us much.
For instance, will all discoveries and major (player driven) events that have already occured on PC Xbox ED have happened in PS4 ED?

I mean its so big its a bit irrelevant, but it would be nice to have a clean slate so on day 1 there is more to put your name to.....

All due respect, it's almost totally irrelevant...

400 billion systems, and less than 1% (a lot less) have so far been discovered. There is so much to put your name to that all the players who ever play the game will never put names to more than a fraction of it.

Plenty of Earth-Like Worlds left to discover, don't fret. ;)

For instance, will all discoveries and major (player driven) events that have already occured on PC Xbox ED have happened in PS4 ED?

Yes, you are joining all other platforms in the existing galaxy simulation. There is only one galaxy simulation.

Not quite as easy as it seems. There is another thread on the discussions board about this entitled 'explorers suck!' if you want to go there and read the difficulties. The most common traveled routes are already well explored.

The big question is perhaps - does it matter? If you haven't been there it is unexplored to you!

Salt much?
Frontier FAQ doesn't really say much, and asking him to read through 17 pages of the FAQ sticky here is a bit harsh.
I've read conflicting things on this and would like clarification also. 'Existing galaxy' doesn't really tell us much.

I know bro??

Frontier says there will be no cross-play and we will not be able to see any PC/XBOX data, if this is the case then maybe we get a fresh galaxy. As if we cant see there actions/consequences/dicoveries then how would we know what is going on or has went on?

Yes, you are joining all other platforms in the existing galaxy simulation. There is only one galaxy simulation.

Thanks for clearing that up. Kind of cool though, even though theres no crossplay between platforms what happens on one will still affect the others.

I was thinking about this due to other posts and threads, are we joining the galaxy that PC and XBOX have been exploring? or does each "platform" have their own?

will a PS4 user have a blank slate so to speak? I have never played the game before so this would be nice for me.

From what I've read, it's still possible to find unexplored systems pretty close by. It's hard, because most of them have been discovered, but in a dense three-dimensional space, it's possible to miss a system or two. I'd love to discover a "real" system, one from the stellar catalogues. I think there's only 130,000 +/- of those? I'm not sure where I got that number from. Still, a few may have fallen through the cracks.

It's really not a problem finding undiscovered systems.
Space is big. Really big. You just won’t believe how vastly hugely mindbogglingly big it is. I mean you may think it’s a long way down the road to the chemist’s, but that’s just peanuts to space.
Just pop outside the human bubble and you're laughing.

It's really not a problem finding undiscovered systems.
Space is big. Really big. You just won’t believe how vastly hugely mindbogglingly big it is. I mean you may think it’s a long way down the road to the chemist’s, but that’s just peanuts to space.
Just pop outside the human bubble and you're laughing.

unless you're going in a straight line to a landmark, obviously that's all discovered.

unless you're going in a straight line to a landmark, obviously that's all discovered.

Even on the most visited space ways undiscovered systems are still there,it really is just massive.
For instance,i have used specific trade routes for nigh on 2 years in the bubble and i still come across systems i've never visited.

Actually I did(frontier one) the official web page does not tell you. one OP on the forum thread says we get a new galaxy from scratch, you say we are joining it? So which one is it? hence the reason for my thread

In the all the time ED has been available, less than one percent of the galaxy has been documented (recorded). One can assume that though we (PS4'ers) are joining a galaxy in progress, there is significant fresh space available.

Last edited:
Any idea how many stars 400.000.000.000 is? :D And each of those stars has at least 1 planet circling it, most of them have many more. So...... there will be a lot to discover there, maybe even other alien races than the infamous Thargoids. Unlimited adventures of exploration and discovery. What more does an aspiring space cadet want? And yes, we are joining the same universe shared by pc/xbox players, so all that has been discovered will be there. Generation ships, barnacles, ancient ruins, etc. But I think that with us, ps4 players joining, it will all really start. A conflict with the Thargoids is imminent, and we'll be there. So it's a good case to upgrade your ship as soon as possible. Life out there is 'dangerous'. ;)

Last edited:
Believe me, you will find unexplored systems even a few hundred LJ out of the bubble.

There are too many, that not all are "found".

PS4-Commanders will join the existing galaxy and will, like XBox- and PC-Commanders, influence the same BGS.
Problem is: you may NOT see PC or XBOX-Commanders.

You will only see PS4-Commanders.

ED has a P2P-Client-Structur. This means there are no "Server", that you connect to, to see other players. Only the information about P2P-Clients to connect to is shared via a centralized transaction server. Your gameaccount is updated there too .

PC-, PS4 and XBox-Networks cannot see each other. But PC can see PC, XBox can see XBOX and PS4 can see PS4.

In short: the Universe is the same, but the playerbases are seperated.

Last edited:
Michael Brookes answered me directly in another thread. All platforms, PC, Mac, Xbox and PS4 share the same background galaxy state. So all systems already discovered by players on the other platforms will show as such on PS4 (as eventually will PS4 first discoveries on the others).

Top Bottom