PS4 to PC cross-save please?

Since Arthur has said no plans for Cross-platform, can we get an answer to cross-save please?

With the new openness, and "no answer is worse than a bad answer", and CMs supposedly watching the forums now, an answer would help clear up expectations.

For those unsure what it is, this is where platform accounts are linked to a user account, and game progress is saved in the cloud / servers. Typically this is used intrinsically in MMO live-service games (like Elite Dangerous).
This means one can play on a platform, for example PS4, finish a session, next time play on a different platform like PC, and you continue with the progress you last had on PS4.

Now there's various ways to enable this, needing to buy a copy per platform, and restricting DLC to the platform it was purchased on only. While other companies are more open with this stuff, just basic crosssave would be appreciated at this point in Elite's lifespan (leaving last-gen consoles behind, and get 4K 60fps with our PS4 cmdr saves).
Here's how it is implemented in Destiny 2 (informative on linking etc): https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/destiny-2-cross-save-setup-supported-platforms-6007

Some console-PC games that have cross-save are:
  • Destiny 2
  • Dauntless
  • Diablo 2 Ressurected
  • Divinity Original Sin 2
  • Eternal Card
  • Fortnite
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Gears 5
  • Immortals Fenyx Rising
  • Mechwarrior 5
  • Minecraft
  • Ori and Blind Forest
  • Paladins
  • Realm Royale
  • Rocket League
  • Rogue Company
  • Sea of Thieves
  • Sid Meir's Civ 4
  • Smite
  • Subnautica Below Zero
  • Witcher 3

Last edited:

Deleted member 166264

D
I'm betting the real issue is some sort of clause with Sony that says FDev has to pay Sony money if someone moves from PS4/5 to PC. That's the real reason why there's not many cross-platform games on the PS4/5 either.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
I'm betting the real issue is some sort of clause with Sony that says FDev has to pay Sony money if someone moves from PS4/5 to PC. That's the real reason why there's not many cross-platform games on the PS4/5 either.

We've discussed this before on another thread. The clause appears to be for games which are dominant in terms of numbers on PS4 such as Fortnite.

Elite Dangerous appears to be the smallest player base on PS compared to both PC and Xbox.

It's not something Sony are probably even bothered about. The fact is FDev have no plans to support cross play and I doubt we'll magically get plans for cross save.

When they do and say Sony are stopping them, then we can blame Sony.

For some reason I still believe that finally, at the last moment the PS version of Odyssey will be cancelled. The player base is so small that it is not worth it.
I hope I am wrong as I really like the game, but if it happens I will not move to another platform as like PS even more :)

There is no cross save ability even PC and Xbox platforms are independent and have never seen any mention of them intending to add the ability.

For some reason I still believe that finally, at the last moment the PS version of Odyssey will be cancelled. The player base is so small that it is not worth it.
I hope I am wrong as I really like the game, but if it happens I will not move to another platform as like PS even more :)
Exactly what are the numbers of the player base? Or is this just speculation?

Only on a Free to Play game and then only when in-game purchases are made disproportionately on another platform, combined with gameplay predominantly taking place on the PS platform.

Which if you think about it

a) is a really niche scenario
b) makes business sense
c) doesn't fit in with the reality that FDev just can't be bothered putting Dev time into Cross platform gameplay.

This was my take on it too. Now with Microsoft owning 90% of the companies I buy games from, I worry. I may just have to destroy Microsoft instead of playing video games......

I'm guessing they'd just forgo cross-save altogether and focus on cross-play, which I believe is the easier of the two to implement.

Cross-save may be easier to implement, as they then dont need to do any coding changes to networking etc. Really it should just be database stuff, and have all CMDR data readable by any platform (in case there's platform specific entries).

As you said CMDR names supposedly are unique, so stop further duplicates, and just allow two "CMDR Stinja" in the same instance, as discoveries would still be unique to the player, and i doubt many have tried to impersonate anyone but themselves across platforms.
Then check the first post, some games only allow cosmetics to show on the platform they were bought on. ie: buy a skin on PS4 but play on PC and it doesnt show.

As a slight divergence, Elite is on Xbox Cloud Gaming, meaning Xbox players can play on PC, Xbox, tablets, phones, etc now:

As @sallymorganmoore seems to be a CM responding to topics sometimes: Sallly, any chance to dig about for an answer on cross-save please?
The first post has more info if you're not up to speed on things.

Last edited:
Cross-save may be easier to implement, as they then dont need to do any coding changes to networking etc. Really it should just be database stuff, and have all CMDR data readable by any platform (in case there's platform specific entries).

As you said CMDR names supposedly are unique, so stop further duplicates, and just allow two "CMDR Stinja" in the same instance, as discoveries would still be unique to the player, and i doubt many have tried to impersonate anyone but themselves across platforms.
Then check the first post, some games only allow cosmetics to show on the platform they were bought on. ie: buy a skin on PS4 but play on PC and it doesnt show.

As a slight divergence, Elite is on Xbox Cloud Gaming, meaning Xbox players can play on PC, Xbox, tablets, phones, etc now:

As @sallymorganmoore seems to be a CM responding to topics sometimes: Sallly, any chance to dig about for an answer on cross-save please?

I suspect the whole back-end architecture is segmented and they have no wish to change it. I'd always assumed that's why something like Squadrons is baffling platform-specific.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
I suspect the whole back-end architecture is segmented and they have no wish to change it. I'd always assumed that's why something like Squadrons is baffling platform-specific.
The core network side of Elite Dangerous is pretty long in the tooth now also, so to change all that back-end is probably an absolute minefield.

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous

I do try and reply sometimes, you're right hehe. Happy Tuesday Stinja!
I would never be so bold as to assume an "easy implementation" of anything unless the "ins and outs" of the framework of anything is known I'm afraid so I can't make casual comment on my thoughts on this here, however let me make a note and I'll see what I can do. I need to channel all of my energy onto update feedback and other Odyssey heavy stuff right now, but I'll jot it down! Thanks!! Sorry it's not an immediate answer :)

I would never be so bold as to assume an "easy implementation" of anything unless the "ins and outs" of the framework of anything is known I'm afraid so I can't make casual comment on my thoughts on this here, however let me make a note and I'll see what I can do.
I said "easier" not "easy", and in relation vs digging thru the network code ;) just having done a fair number of data migrations and refactoring schema, lookup tables etc, and without knowing the code or databases, i'd guess even if PC, XBox and PS have different schema you can still just filter in/out as needed if implementing cross-save.
Anyways... thats just us hypothesising.

Sorry it's not an immediate answer :)
No worries, a bad answer is better than no answer :)

The xbox sub-forum also gets questions around the game, so if the CMs could pop into each console side more often it would be appreciated.

edit: i'll just reiterate some pros cross-save i feel would give console users.
  • Things like being able to hop platforms and retain your cmdr-state could stop players bleeding off from (essentially) unsupported platforms. eg: we could play on PC, buy Odyssey, and go back to PS4/5 if/when they get supported, instead of jumping to other games like Star Citizen or NMS or X4 like currently.
  • doubling up cosmetic purchases. As in first post, some devs/publishers only allow purchases for the original platform, so people may buy ship skins on both.
  • related to this, it would be good to have free stuff applied to both platforms though: eg: i have the Frontier Expo gold python/conda and David Braben bobblehead on PS4 only. PC i've got FX charity skin only.
  • increased player numbers for events. For example Xbox meetups could have cmdrs return for a platform only reunion; or Distant Worlds 3 PS cmdrs could jump to PC for a mega jump, then back to PS4/5 for the next travel section; or taking part in organised PvP fights.
  • longevity. If consoles became unsupported, id bet many would just go "thats that then" and stop playing. Cross-save means they could continue on PC with everything they've done to date.

Hopefully others will chip in with advantages i've forgotten (not had 2nd coffee yet).

Last edited:
I said "easier" not "easy", and in relation vs digging thru the network code ;) just having done a fair number of data migrations and refactoring schema, lookup tables etc, and without knowing the code or databases, i'd guess even if PC, XBox and PS have different schema you can still just filter in/out as needed if implementing cross-save.
Anyways... thats just us hypothesising.

No worries, a bad answer is better than no answer :)

The xbox sub-forum also gets questions around the game, so if the CMs could pop into each console side more often it would be appreciated.

edit: i'll just reiterate some pros cross-save i feel would give console users.
  • Things like being able to hop platforms and retain your cmdr-state could stop players bleeding off from (essentially) unsupported platforms. eg: we could play on PC, buy Odyssey, and go back to PS4/5 if/when they get supported, instead of jumping to other games like Star Citizen or NMS or X4 like currently.
  • doubling up cosmetic purchases. As in first post, some devs/publishers only allow purchases for the original platform, so people may buy ship skins on both.
  • related to this, it would be good to have free stuff applied to both platforms though: eg: i have the Frontier Expo gold python/conda and David Braben bobblehead on PS4 only. PC i've got FX charity skin only.
  • increased player numbers for events. For example Xbox meetups could have cmdrs return for a platform only reunion; or Distant Worlds 3 PS cmdrs could jump to PC for a mega jump, then back to PS4/5 for the next travel section; or taking part in organised PvP fights.
  • longevity. If consoles became unsupported, id bet many would just go "thats that then" and stop playing. Cross-save means they could continue on PC with everything they've done to date.

Hopefully others will chip in with advantages i've forgotten (not had 2nd coffee yet).
Also the advertising for cross-save would look good, pick up where you left off on any (supported) platform.

How would this cross-save work? Let's say I create five CMDRs on PS4, one paid and four free. How do I access these on PC? Do I have to pay for a new copy of Elite on PC for each CMDR, or do I basically get five free PC accounts because they already exist on PS4?

BTW, I paid for Elite three times (once on PS4 and twice on PC) and that gave me four CMDRs. If cross-save works per my first suggestion above, the same amount of money would have only bought me two CMDRs, though they would be shared across two platforms.

Oh, and I almost forgot the most obvious point! Cross-save only serves a fraction of the community - those with multiple gaming platforms. Cross-play, on the other hand, benefits everyone. Or does everyone own both a Playstation and a gaming PC these days?

Giving CMDRs more options to play and integrate is a must requirement for the game's long term success in my opinion. According to various CM's going back the past few years, Frontier have been 'looking into it' for quite some time.

Cross Save, followed by Cross Play is how Bungie implemented it for Destiny.

Both features are implemented in NMS, as well as native support for PS5, XSX, VR support on all platforms, etc.

A small step in the right direction from Frontier would be better than none.

Top Bottom