PSA: VR works in the Odyssey Vanity Cam

Exactly that - when you go into the camera suite you can flick through the various views.

“Right Shoulder” is great for Mass Effect-style third person, or “Right Profile” is good for stepping into.
Fantastic, will save me some play area :)
Cheers !

Here's a vid of some quick messing about with it:

Source: https://youtu.be/n8G2BtCXg7A

It's obviously not meant for outright gameplay, but it's still fun to charge about in. Can operate your basic weapons and tools, throw grenades etc, but without interactions or a target reticule it's not really practical for any of that as such.

With a bit of tinkering with the camera position I'd guess you could probably fudge a form of first person here, for exploration at least. (At points when I was edging around on rooftops checking for scavengers I could almost believe I was doing it in first person. But then my avatar would run into a wall out of sight ;))

Frame rate was totally comfortable for me, although I was reprojecting obviously at points for sure. Was running it on the standard High defaults at the time (not VR defaults) on this kit:
1080, i7 4790K, 16gb ram
You can't do that! VR is tooooo hard to implement!

You can't do that! VR is tooooo hard to implement!

Ach, I’m sure they could totally do third person VR right now (performance aside).

Problem is they don’t want the game to be playable in third person generally. (And I can see why. At minimum it means third person becomes the default view for combat, as seeing round corners is so OP. Suddenly all that first person work gets hardly any use. It’s a poor return on all the dev. A fine indulgence when you’ve got a guaranteed hit like Star Wars: Battlefront or something. Less so when you’re rolling the dice as EDO is.)

I’m fine with the philosophy. A first person view is more 'Elite', more immersive. And would be a ton more fun in a proper VR port ;)

It is kinda tortuous to be able to muck around in VR, but not properly play though, for sure.

But if you’re in a making lemonade frame of mind, it means it’s one less blocker to proper VR Legs down the line. (Or even some backdoor access in the meantime).

The VR certainly works :)

Last edited:
Ach, I’m sure they could totally do third person VR right now (performance aside).

Problem is they don’t want the game to be playable in third person generally. (And I can see why. At minimum it means third person becomes the default view for combat, as seeing round corners is so OP. Suddenly all that first person work gets hardly any use. It’s a poor return on all the dev. A fine indulgence when you’ve got a guaranteed hit like Star Wars: Battlefront or something. Less so when you’re rolling the dice as EDO is.)

I’m fine with the philosophy. A first person view is more 'Elite', more immersive. And would be a ton more fun in a proper VR port ;)

It is kinda tortuous to be able to muck around in VR, but not properly play though, for sure.

But if you’re in a making lemonade frame of mind, it means it’s one less blocker to proper VR Legs down the line. (Or even some backdoor access in the meantime).

The VR certainly works :)

You're completely right. I was being facetious. It's pretty obvious from what folks have cobbled together through experimentation that VR really isn't much of a stretch. Makes me wonder why they are pretty much stonewalling VR.

Here's a vid of some quick messing about with it:

Source: https://youtu.be/n8G2BtCXg7A

It's obviously not meant for outright gameplay, but it's still fun to charge about in. Can operate your basic weapons and tools, throw grenades etc, but without interactions or a target reticule it's not really practical for any of that as such.

With a bit of tinkering with the camera position I'd guess you could probably fudge a form of first person here, for exploration at least. (At points when I was edging around on rooftops checking for scavengers I could almost believe I was doing it in first person. But then my avatar would run into a wall out of sight ;))

Frame rate was totally comfortable for me, although I was reprojecting obviously at points for sure. Was running it on the standard High defaults at the time (not VR defaults) on this kit:
1080, i7 4790K, 16gb ram
I've been playing it this way, the experience from 2d to 3d is night and day, this game is incredible in VR, and going back to the 2d theater screen just ruins the immersion.

I wouldn't want VR in third person anyway. it's bad enough on flat screen but in VR completely disorienting and unplayable.
Would have been just fine had the camera been orbiting the player character under immediate mouse control (...and the PC turning to camera-relative running direction when moving, but not when still), instead of being fixed position and the character catching up with rotation in little chunks of movement.

Elite is first person, though. :7

Craith

Volunteer Moderator
Thanks for this, you officially unlocked odyssey for me!

Weirdly though, I can't enter free cam, anyone else getting this?
You need to bind a key to it. In Alpha it couldn't be the same as for ships/SRVs, but I heard that has changed (haven't changed mine yet though)

CTRL+ALT+G removes your HUD, as usual. It also throws a grenade with my keybindings :D

Thanks for this, you officially unlocked odyssey for me!

Weirdly though, I can't enter free cam, anyone else getting this?

Cool :)

Freecam didn’t work in VR in the alpha. I tested the default keybinds in non-VR and they worked fine there. Not sure if it’s a bug or by design.

You need to bind a key to it. In Alpha it couldn't be the same as for ships/SRVs, but I heard that has changed (haven't changed mine yet though)

CTRL+ALT+G removes your HUD, as usual. It also throws a grenade with my keybindings :D
Thanks, although according to my settings, it is set. I'll have another go soon. Either way, wooooooooooooow guys, Odyssey!!! <3

if it works in vanity cam which is more demanding btw then should work even better in first person.
I don't even have controllers so giving us basic VR functionality and not waiting to get it "right" is way to go IMO
I'd rather have a limited but working VR than what we got....

I finally got it to work last night (I had alt bound to throw grenade) and I hate to say it but I had that Armstrong moment that the devs were talking about.

Top Bottom