Pulse Wave Scanner Works...Backwards

"poking a stick into the spokes of the bike we are all still riding," An apt word picture, indeed.

Taking a short break from mining, and thinking of tripping off into the black for a bit anyway. Maybe they'll take pity on us poor miners and fix the PWA in my absence.

Im fine really.png

"poking a stick into the spokes of the bike we are all still riding," An apt word picture, indeed.

Taking a short break from mining, and thinking of tripping off into the black for a bit anyway. Maybe they'll take pity on us poor miners and fix the PWA in my absence.

View attachment 190980
So I've sort of gotten used to the PWA now. I can't fill up my 230ton python in about 2.5 hours. Still slower than it was, but not too bad. I've got a really nice dbl VO hotspot about 700Ly outside the bubble.
I've often found up to 4 cores right next to each other, one even within the cloud from the previous one.
One bit of advice I do have though is, don't be too rigid in your approach and If you find a core, don't rush to move on, explore the immediate area thoroughly, chances are there are more nearby. Let me know if you want the location of my spot.

This can't be serious has it not been fixed yet? I'm 13k Ly out of bubble with my carrier and I'm running on trit fumes what are you doing have to mine some soon but not looking forward to it... sigh

This can't be serious has it not been fixed yet? I'm 13k Ly out of bubble with my carrier and I'm running on trit fumes what are you doing have to mine some soon but not looking forward to it... sigh
Mining tritium without the PWS is certainly not a problem unless you didn't take a mining laser or two with you?.

Ya'll are amazing, gifted, perfectly splendid.

Now, get yer chops over to the Issues Tracker and vote. Yes, it's time to vote, damn it.

Listen porkchop, don't make me come in that hanger and get you.

Ya'll are amazing, gifted, perfectly splendid.

Now, get yer chops over to the Issues Tracker and vote. Yes, it's time to vote, damn it.

Listen porkchop, don't make me come in that hanger and get you.
Done 👍 Don't bloody give 'em ideas, u will have to wait till odyssey to come to hangar 🙈

Okay … and what does that have to do with the PWA being broken?
Level of frustratiin in both are comperable... SC is just a framework of game with jack all working as it should be... after 8 years in development is not even remotly comperable in playability to Elite. And on top elite is dropping odyssey soon so SC can go and ef itself, at the rate they are working on it, it should be released about 3306... 🤘

So I'm out in the black in a decent dbl hotspot, overlap is quite good, both centers of hotspots are nearly next to eachother. I tried using the ANALizer for first say half an hour and then ditched it. Just flying from roid to roid prospecting and after 3 hours of blazerzzz mining my cutter is 460T deep with tritium so I would say NOT BAD AT ALL :) so far I mostly find 25-28% but there where 32-38% roids as well, few ssds but with 2-3 chinks per xplosion, I say it's not worth focusing on thise realy unles the roid is almost still and there is 0 manoivering involved, other than that I just ignore them. Could be worse I guess :) so unless they buff amount of chunks from ssds PSW is worth di€k 4 me atm, until I go VO hunting that is.

I'll repeat: All I wish for is for the PWA to be reliable. I'm not asking for more cores/SSDs/SDs, they were ridiculously abundant prior to the "nerf" to the point where nothing else made sense if you needed to fill up your bank balance, I'm just asking for what we used to have, which is:

Ping: No glowing cores, go somewhere else, ping again.

What I DON'T like is "ping, no glowing cores, continue for a few minutes, flip around, ping again, suddenly barren asteroids are glowing".

Just like I expect my multi-cannons to do damage when I actually hit the target, not just do damage when they feel like it. I'm fine with them not doing anything when I miss, I'm not asking for them to do more damage either, I just want to know that they work when I'm using them appropriately.

I don't know why that's still controversial.

Oh, and further, I actually liked it when the tools we could buy did what it said on the tin. Not because doing VOs was something I ever did, because if you're hunting those that's the ONLY thing you can do, but because when I was hunting Painite or LTDs, I could bring ALL the tools so I could spice up the experience by switching between laser mining (boring), core blowing (cool) and SD/SSD mining (skill).

Now I just feel like an idiot if I do anything other than just prospect/laser/collect/next rock, because the PWA is about as reliable as a politician's promises.

I'll repeat: All I wish for is for the PWA to be reliable. I'm not asking for more cores/SSDs/SDs, they were ridiculously abundant prior to the "nerf" to the point where nothing else made sense if you needed to fill up your bank balance, I'm just asking for what we used to have, which is:

Ping: No glowing cores, go somewhere else, ping again.

What I DON'T like is "ping, no glowing cores, continue for a few minutes, flip around, ping again, suddenly barren asteroids are glowing".

Just like I expect my multi-cannons to do damage when I actually hit the target, not just do damage when they feel like it. I'm fine with them not doing anything when I miss, I'm not asking for them to do more damage either, I just want to know that they work when I'm using them appropriately.

I don't know why that's still controversial.

Oh, and further, I actually liked it when the tools we could buy did what it said on the tin. Not because doing VOs was something I ever did, because if you're hunting those that's the ONLY thing you can do, but because when I was hunting Painite or LTDs, I could bring ALL the tools so I could spice up the experience by switching between laser mining (boring), core blowing (cool) and SD/SSD mining (skill).

Now I just feel like an idiot if I do anything other than just prospect/laser/collect/next rock, because the PWA is about as reliable as a politician's promises.
Yeah agree but having more chunks from tritium ssds is hardly gonna make you a rocefeler now will it, bit it would vastly help explorers with fcs out there who went exploring. Increasing efficiency on fuel usage does not change the fact that I have to spend 10 ingame hours mining to fill the damn thing. I could spend that time flying arround uncharted systems which was my goal. I dont mind sacrificing 1 session every now and then but 10 freking hours?
Hence I say that PWA atm even if it does work ok is still somewhat useless FOR MY PURPOSES

Yeah agree but having more chunks from tritium ssds is hardly gonna make you a rocefeler now will it,
Not at all. My main issue is with the PWA not being reliable. As long as it does what it's supposed to do, the frequency with which is returns good signals is a different discussion. I just want to know that when it comes up empty, it's because the area I scanned really IS empty.

It's now been over a month since I typed my original post regarding the Pulse Wave Analyzer (PWA) not functioning up to "spec" since the last ED update. As of this morning - it's early here, the issue is noted as "acknowledged," moved forward from "confirmed" by Frontier Developments (FD) and as reported by many other players, is still at the number three position in the listing of items to be fixed. ( https://issues.frontierstore.net/reported-issues/elite-dangerous )

As the wait for FD to fix the PWA, restoring it to full usability, goes on, I've noticed some unusual responses from the ED gaming community on forums. Namely, that the issue is somehow isolated to only a few, and perhaps only to those who don't truly understand how the PWA functions or some other such nonsense. Perhaps some tired rehash of the ailment of objective truths - your truth is yours, my truth is mine? Nice try, but the PWA is indeed busted.

Now, let me be the first to admit I'm not a hard-core ED gamer. My Commander status is middling, and I probably won't be invited to any Federation gala events on the A List. But then, I'm only a casual gamer, one who plays for fun and not for some kind of personal transference between the real world and the ED world. In my real world of daily work, I serve a high-needs population of human persons, with the result of needing some serious "down time" each week. Or, would that be "up time" in outer space? Regardless, the credits I have in my Commander account do not measure in the billions - as constantly touted by some players, but then those credits are meaningless when I log out of the game. Those credits in game will not even buy me a carton of milk in the real world.

No, the PWA bug issue is not limited to a few ED gamers, unless only those few downloaded the September 8th micro-update. It is quite real, and affects gameplay in mining asteroids. I've never stated, nor have any of the other folks reporting the issue, that the PWA no longer works, only that it no longer works accurately. I'll spare you the details, as you can read them for yourself.

Look, imagine for a moment, you're a driver and you rely upon your GPS to get you to a pick-up or destination. Miner is driver for those who may miss my analogy. Suddenly, your GPS updates and then scrambles every other location report. It's still usable, though only somewhat, forcing the need to rely on a bit of guesswork for locations. Yes, some drivers don't need a GPS - they are phenomenal memory machines, can tell a location by the "look" of it all, but most drivers don't have the patience for that, would go batty, weary at the attempt. I'm a GPS kind of driver, and I drive (play ED) with helps.

Something else has me curious. Motivation. Intent. If I were the only one who noticed the PWA misbehaving, I could understand the dubiety of others regarding the existence of the game bug, but I'm certainly not. In fact, I didn't even report it first, as I was a ways back in the line of reporting the issue. So, what exactly would be my intent for continuing to chew on this particular bone, or to even mention it in the first place, if it did not truly exist? I mean, I'm not a super-star player, having no need to pursue influence or status, I have no intention of making any YouTube videos to lavish in my followers adoration, and my ego is in quite a fine place, not needing any aggrandizement by other writers of postings here. I - am not my Commander in the game. I'm only a player of ED, one of many thousands I suppose. And one who just would like to see a simple feature of this fun game restored to pre-September 8th functionality. Honestly, it's pretty simple - I just want to play like a child, and have fun while I'm at it.

Finally, I'm leaving in a few days for a week at my family ranch in Texas, and with hopes upon my return to see the PWA issue moved to the "fixed" status on the list at FD. Maybe a few days on the range, fixing fence, nursing campfires and shooting at stuff will be just the thing for me, no "simple miner" to fuss over in a world far, far away from this one.

Onward to Odyssey then!

Or would that be to Odyssey and beyond?

~ Tennozan

INARA Signature 2020.jpg

It's now been over a month since I typed my original post regarding the Pulse Wave Analyzer (PWA) not functioning up to "spec" since the last ED update. As of this morning - it's early here, the issue is noted as "acknowledged," moved forward from "confirmed" by Frontier Developments (FD) and as reported by many other players, is still at the number three position in the listing of items to be fixed. ( https://issues.frontierstore.net/reported-issues/elite-dangerous )

As the wait for FD to fix the PWA, restoring it to full usability, goes on, I've noticed some unusual responses from the ED gaming community on forums. Namely, that the issue is somehow isolated to only a few, and perhaps only to those who don't truly understand how the PWA functions or some other such nonsense. Perhaps some tired rehash of the ailment of objective truths - your truth is yours, my truth is mine? Nice try, but the PWA is indeed busted.

Now, let me be the first to admit I'm not a hard-core ED gamer. My Commander status is middling, and I probably won't be invited to any Federation gala events on the A List. But then, I'm only a casual gamer, one who plays for fun and not for some kind of personal transference between the real world and the ED world. In my real world of daily work, I serve a high-needs population of human persons, with the result of needing some serious "down time" each week. Or, would that be "up time" in outer space? Regardless, the credits I have in my Commander account do not measure in the billions - as constantly touted by some players, but then those credits are meaningless when I log out of the game. Those credits in game will not even buy me a carton of milk in the real world.

No, the PWA bug issue is not limited to a few ED gamers, unless only those few downloaded the September 8th micro-update. It is quite real, and affects gameplay in mining asteroids. I've never stated, nor have any of the other folks reporting the issue, that the PWA no longer works, only that it no longer works accurately. I'll spare you the details, as you can read them for yourself.

Look, imagine for a moment, you're a driver and you rely upon your GPS to get you to a pick-up or destination. Miner is driver for those who may miss my analogy. Suddenly, your GPS updates and then scrambles every other location report. It's still usable, though only somewhat, forcing the need to rely on a bit of guesswork for locations. Yes, some drivers don't need a GPS - they are phenomenal memory machines, can tell a location by the "look" of it all, but most drivers don't have the patience for that, would go batty, weary at the attempt. I'm a GPS kind of driver, and I drive (play ED) with helps.

Something else has me curious. Motivation. Intent. If I were the only one who noticed the PWA misbehaving, I could understand the dubiety of others regarding the existence of the game bug, but I'm certainly not. In fact, I didn't even report it first, as I was a ways back in the line of reporting the issue. So, what exactly would be my intent for continuing to chew on this particular bone, or to even mention it in the first place, if it did not truly exist? I mean, I'm not a super-star player, having no need to pursue influence or status, I have no intention of making any YouTube videos to lavish in my followers adoration, and my ego is in quite a fine place, not needing any aggrandizement by other writers of postings here. I - am not my Commander in the game. I'm only a player of ED, one of many thousands I suppose. And one who just would like to see a simple feature of this fun game restored to pre-September 8th functionality. Honestly, it's pretty simple - I just want to play like a child, and have fun while I'm at it.

Finally, I'm leaving in a few days for a week at my family ranch in Texas, and with hopes upon my return to see the PWA issue moved to the "fixed" status on the list at FD. Maybe a few days on the range, fixing fence, nursing campfires and shooting at stuff will be just the thing for me, no "simple miner" to fuss over in a world far, far away from this one.

Onward to Odyssey then!

~ Tennozan

View attachment 191457
I work with a high needs population as well. It's hard work man. I know how you feel and more than other jobs downtime is absolutely necessary.

Back on topic I haven't checked it in about 2 weeks but I have a nest egg I mine every week of a few easy to find core asteroids. I know exactly where it is. I've been there dozens of times; but I have to circle the area several times for it to show up and i used to not have to do that.

Onward to Odyssey then!

~ Tennozan

View attachment 191457
Excellent posting...just imagine what would possibly happen if the Dev's read it.

I just get a page saying the issue can't be loaded. :-/
Hey Angus, I had a brief second of thinking "maybe that's because it's now on the fixed page?"

Nope. It's listed still there.

Mocking us.

OK, FD. We'll make nice, play on our little wheel for you.

See, we play with our toys! We can ring the little bell.

Now, how 'bout a little treat? Maybe PWA flavor?

INARA Signature 2020.jpg

Top Bottom