Pulse Wave Scanner Works...Backwards

Hey Angus, I had a brief second of thinking "maybe that's because it's now on the fixed page?"

Nope. It's listed still there.

Mocking us.

OK, FD. We'll make nice, play on our little wheel for you.

See, we play with our toys! We can ring the little bell.

Now, how 'bout a little treat? Maybe PWA flavor?

View attachment 191574
Who is this FD you speak of? You don't think they ever read this crap do you?

I am not sure why you guys think the PWS is "broken"? I mean, maybe glitchy, OK, but broken? I just spent a few hours Core mining, filled up my 128t of cargo, filled up my 6 bins and had to leave like 10 chunks behind, which is always painful. Seems to work fine. I have noticed some real quick hits and then doesn't hit on that rock again, went up and prospected that rock(s) and they weren't VO. Some were nothing, some were another Core, but the VO hits are fine. I have the same haul every time I Core mine, never fails. Sometimes it takes longer, sometimes faster, sometimes downright painful, but I don't think it has anything to do with the PWS. Just sayin'. There's nothing fast about Core mining, that's for sure, but it shouldn't be. It pays the most, so therefore should not just be a hand me. You gotta hunt for it! All this talk of flying backward and upside-down, I don't get it. I've even tried it, doesn't do anything differently on the hunt for VOs, in my case at least. Maybe yours IS broken. :unsure:

VO2.jpg

VO3.jpg

VO1.jpg

Depends on your definition of "broken", I guess. I use rather specific definitions for terms like that (occupational hazard), so for me it means "not working to specs", which it isn't. Sometimes it'll light up a core, sometimes it won't. It's Schrodinger's PWA right now.

If your definition of "broken" is "not working at all", then you're right, it's not "broken". But I use a different term for that: INOP (inoperative).

I am not sure why you guys think the PWS is "broken"? I mean, maybe glitchy, OK, but broken? I just spent a few hours Core mining, filled up my 128t of cargo, filled up my 6 bins and had to leave like 10 chunks behind, which is always painful. Seems to work fine. I have noticed some real quick hits and then doesn't hit on that rock again, went up and prospected that rock(s) and they weren't VO. Some were nothing, some were another Core, but the VO hits are fine. I have the same haul every time I Core mine, never fails. Sometimes it takes longer, sometimes faster, sometimes downright painful, but I don't think it has anything to do with the PWS. Just sayin'. There's nothing fast about Core mining, that's for sure, but it shouldn't be. It pays the most, so therefore should not just be a hand me. You gotta hunt for it! All this talk of flying backward and upside-down, I don't get it. I've even tried it, doesn't do anything differently on the hunt for VOs, in my case at least. Maybe yours IS broken. :unsure:

View attachment 191616
View attachment 191617
View attachment 191618
bet you wish you'd bought the ten bin refinery now?. :cool: (y)

Depends on your definition of "broken", I guess. I use rather specific definitions for terms like that (occupational hazard), so for me it means "not working to specs", which it isn't. Sometimes it'll light up a core, sometimes it won't. It's Schrodinger's PWA right now.

If your definition of "broken" is "not working at all", then you're right, it's not "broken". But I use a different term for that: INOP (inoperative).
I'd say you are likely correct on that. Certainly does seem a little glitched 😉

View attachment 191616
View attachment 191617
View attachment 191618
You are extraordinary. A mining Commander with no peer! Yes, Super Duper Glitchy PWA sounds much better! Kudos to you for having an only slightly glitchy PWA! woot!

You are extraordinary. A mining Commander with no peer! Yes, Super Duper Glitchy PWA sounds much better! Kudos to you for having an only slightly glitchy PWA! woot!
It did take me, and does take, me several hours to mine VO, but it did before the patch that lead people to believe the PWS is broken. I don't know, but I do know mining VO has always been a time sink. After the patch, maybe it added a little more pain, yes, but I don't think because the PWS is broken, I just think FDEV thinned the VO fields, or I'm not in the best spot. I've only ever mined the same ring since I stared VO mining, but I've made several billion doing it. Some days are better than others, finding them, but I always find them, with of course the PWS. I've never had to resort to flying upside-down or backwards, just scanning for hours. But, that's always been the case, for me. I have noticed that they tossed in a lot of "fake" VO that turns out to be something else, but that's about it. The occasional hit on a rock and doesn't hit again glitch, but I've checked those rocks and never been VO anyway.

It did take me, and does take, me several hours to mine VO, but it did before the patch that lead people to believe the PWS is broken. I don't know, but I do know mining VO has always been a time sink. After the patch, maybe it added a little more pain, yes, but I don't think because the PWS is broken, I just think FDEV thinned the VO fields, or I'm not in the best spot. I've only ever mined the same ring since I stared VO mining, but I've made several billion doing it. Some days are better than others, finding them, but I always find them, with of course the PWS. I've never had to resort to flying upside-down or backwards, just scanning for hours. But, that's always been the case, for me. I have noticed that they tossed in a lot of "fake" VO that turns out to be something else, but that's about it. The occasional hit on a rock and doesn't hit again glitch, but I've checked those rocks and never been VO anyway.

Exactly my impression. But please... Stop calling it PWS, the official term is PWA (from analyzer) for a reason. Just in case my theories turn out to be true and instead of "scanning" it's "analysing", hence it needs more time to process the data. This could explain quite a lot of its so called 'broken' behaviour, including backwards flying (a similar effect can be reproduced by moving slowly below 200m/s, now think for yourself what this possibly can mean)... But it's basically the thinned out VO distribution that upsets a lot of people and the reason why even in VO hotspots it's often easer to find other cores. This could be perfectly intended - if VOs are meant to be super rare. I blame FDev for not properly communicating this change, in case it really was intended.

Exactly my impression. But please... Stop calling it PWS, the official term is PWA (from analyzer) for a reason. Just in case my theories turn out to be true and instead of "scanning" it's "analysing", hence it needs more time to process the data. This could explain quite a lot of its so called 'broken' behaviour, including backwards flying (a similar effect can be reproduced by moving slowly below 200m/s, now think for yourself what this possibly can mean)... But it's basically the thinned out VO distribution that upsets a lot of people and the reason why even in VO hotspots it's often easer to find other cores. This could be perfectly intended - if VOs are meant to be super rare. I blame FDev for not properly communicating this change, in case it really was intended.
PWA 😉 👍

Yesterday went Multicrew mining with a friend. Was a first.
He sent me screenshots and showed me that he saw A LOT more 'roids being lit up.
He was constantly pointing me into directions where non lit up from my view and his screenshot showed several.

Anyway it was fun actually playing captain and ordering him to shoot this and scan that ...

Yesterday went Multicrew mining with a friend. Was a first.
He sent me screenshots and showed me that he saw A LOT more 'roids being lit up.
He was constantly pointing me into directions where non lit up from my view and his screenshot showed several.

Anyway it was fun actually playing captain and ordering him to shoot this and scan that ...
That's actually good info. So it's not "broken" for everyone. Thanks!

It's still listed as an acknowledged issue on the Frontier Developments Issue Tracker. Guess the PWA is still "glitchy," but obviously only for the many people who reported and continue to report the "glitchy-ness" of the PWA.

I will say one thing about the PWA, at least somewhat indirectly related to it's functionality. It doesn't work any better in a "Major" reserve location, that's for sure! I found a double overlap VO HotSpot located in a major reserve ring and couldn't find a VO Core in it to save my life! I did find 1, ONE!!, and spent the better part of an hour or more. I have been Core mining the same "Low Reserve" spot for months, and always fill the racks. I thought this spot would be better, MUCH better, since it was tagged Major Reserve and had a double VO overlap, but horrible! Maybe I just got a bad RNG of the field and was going to stick it out for another day but then got attacked by pirates to add insult to injury! I wonder, if the PWA was working as it should be, or as people say it should be (I don't really notice an issue, I did but went back to "normal" for me) if that double overlap would have had better results. Hmm. Oh well, back to the tried, tested and true location of Low Reserve that seems good enough to fill my credit account balance, with a broken or glitchy PWA, that seems to find them where I've been, and will be staying!

Tested it today...
Still doesn't work after the last update...
I wonder if someone at Frontier ever reads the forums... and if it does couldn't care less
Way to go... backwards

Tested it today...
Still doesn't work after the last update...
I wonder if someone at Frontier ever reads the forums... and if it does couldn't care less
Way to go... backwards
What doesn't work for you? What experience are you having that leads you to believe that it doesn't work? I just used it yesterday to scan a ring and found many VO and LTD Cores. Is it that you think it's glitchy or outright broken, for you? Just curious. Seems OK to me, I have seen where it will light a droid and then not the second pulse, but overall it finds Cores just fine, for me at least. I make 99% of my credits VO Core mining and I'd be the first one yelling if it were broken. I did notice that it was "broken" when they fixed the backup trick but then it went back to working as normal, again, for me. I'd like to hear what happens when you use it. Not doubting you, just want to know what you're seeing, or not seeing.

What doesn't work for you? What experience are you having that leads you to believe that it doesn't work? I just used it yesterday to scan a ring and found many VO and LTD Cores. Is it that you think it's glitchy or outright broken, for you? Just curious. Seems OK to me, I have seen where it will light a droid and then not the second pulse, but overall it finds Cores just fine, for me at least. I make 99% of my credits VO Core mining and I'd be the first one yelling if it were broken. I did notice that it was "broken" when they fixed the backup trick but then it went back to working as normal, again, for me. I'd like to hear what happens when you use it. Not doubting you, just want to know what you're seeing, or not seeing.
Wait, are you saying it is working again? Huh, I'll have to try this after all the weekend hubbub ends.

Top Bottom