Pulse Wave Scanner Works...Backwards

Helpful, Mr. T and Red House. Actually, I was only joking about flying backwards, but I suppose it could be done. Loonies for Lode. Rock on.

Ah, yes the chunks getting stuck inside the asteroids. I despise that, and have seen many a hapless limpet burn themselves out trying to be good boy and retrieve them for me.

I admit, since the Pulse Wave Scanner is broken, I've found myself drifting off into other pursuits, racing my SRV around on outback worlds, blowing up pesky pirates and so on.

Really hoping FD fixes the mining ( without - you know, messing something else up in fixing the code ) soon.

If you do a little experiment, like I have done, you will find that the issue has little to do with flying backwards.
The issue will be either resolved in some manner by devs and stealth-patched, or it will be this way for a very very long time. If the case is the latter, I suggest we get a little more inquisitive on the current mechanic. The worst case .. for me.. is that the change is INTENDED, as a deterrent for other exploits.

\\///
Oo
Spike.k

PS. in one small part of my "experiment" I sat at zero throttle and waited for 45 minutes for the rocks to load. It worked.

If you do a little experiment, like I have done, you will find that the issue has little to do with flying backwards.
The issue will be either resolved in some manner by devs and stealth-patched, or it will be this way for a very very long time. If the case is the latter, I suggest we get a little more inquisitive on the current mechanic. The worst case .. for me.. is that the change is INTENDED, as a deterrent for other exploits.

\\///
Oo

Spike.k

PS. in one small part of my "experiment" I sat at zero throttle and waited for 45 minutes for the rocks to load. It worked.
Highly likely it’s this ^
The PWS is a 360 degree pulse is it not?

Therefore if rocks in front of a ship aren’t glowing and rocks behind are it’s because the game simply hadn’t loaded their properties in time as you fly by.

Would make sense, the whole games pretty laggy at the moment.

I took The Merry Pig out for a couple hours of core mining today, and think I may have discovered something in relation to the very recently suggested mining troubles. First, let me say - I really like this game. I'm not down on Frontier or anything, just want to have fun with the game. Also, I like mining. I'm not all that great at combat, and I usually fall asleep exploring.

Mining...

Anyway, I lined myself up on the planet - on the edge of the rocky ring and keyed my Pulse Wave Scanner (PWS). Nothing ahead of me, not even a slightly glowing asteroid. I'm used to seeing 5 or 6 of some type, and at least one brightly glowing - which is what I'm after. So, I keep moving forward. Hitting the PWS lots of times. Moving forward. And forward. Scanning. One asteroid slightly glowing off to my starboard side. Kept moving, scanning. Lots of time passes. Nothing.

Then the thought struck me - what if the resources are out there, but something is preventing me from seeing them? What if the PWS is not functioning like it should - like I'm used to?

I recalled seeing something about the PWS, and something about a fix to refresh resources or something in the game. A connection somehow?

So, I tried experimenting with the PWS. Slowed my ship, sped up. Might be picking up a few more pings. Then I stopped my ship and pulled back on the flight stick until I was completely flipped over, facing away from the landmark of the planet. Pinged the PWS and lots of returns. What? It didn't make sense, because I'd already pinged away at all those asteroids and seen nothing. Odd. So, I flipped my ship around again until I faced the other direction, pinged the PWS and nothing. So, I set an asteroid ahead as a marker, and once I arrived at it, I flipped The Merry Pig over again and pinged the PWS. There they were. Glowing asteroids.

I have no idea if it's just me or if the Pulse Wave Scanner in the game is now dis-functional?

For the next hour, I was able to core mine by setting a marker asteroid, moving forward, then flipping over and firing the PWS to find asteroid targets. It was an annoying process, a work-around but it worked. One step forward, two steps back.

I would like for the PWS to work in my game like it did before - so I can travel to a resource rich area, scan for resources, see plenty of prospects, then narrow down to the best candidates for a prospector limpet, then a carpeting of seismic explosives to free the goodies for my collector limpets (I call 'em piglets) to bring to me.

Frontier, are you listening? Can you look into this, fix it if it's not working? Please?
I was core mining today and same thing. The scanner does work, sort of.
Something weird though, while looking out the starboard window I saw an asteroid miraculously appear out of empty space. I pinged it and sure enough it was a VO core.

I did a quick session this arvo and yes at one point when I stopped and flipped over there were a whole plethera of candidates which were not even glimmering when I just came that way. Result was 2 VO core 'roids and one grandaddywrotealetter core 'roid all in a group. So summat is going on, it isn't just not noticing things as you go along. Is it 'roids spawning after you have passed? 'cos I'm sure I wouldn't have missed three glowing popcorns in a group.

Last edited:
I have a secret "nest egg" of three core asteroids in close proximity I go to mine every week and I have noticed in the last few attempts to find It they haven't appeared in my first fly by. I know they are there as I've done this many times before and eventually they do show after circling the area for a minute. I just assumed I was slightly off or looking in a slightly wrong direction. The pws being bugged does make a lot of sense now.

Last edited:
I haven't mined for a couple of weeks, but I noticed the PWS behaving oddly as well, everything stated above sums up what its doing.

Yea that's what I was doing, I fly fa-off all the time anyways, but you can map a key to make toggle easy. It was more like slowly spinning left to right to left to right while drifting backwards just above the belt.

While we're on stuff thats broken with mining, the bits after a core detonation getting stuck in rocks, was only half /\ss 'fixed'. I just had 2 VO bits expire inside a piece of rock. I'm going to say they 'could have' floated out, but the 'fix' was not to stop them from going inside a chunk in the first place, simply to allow them to pass out again. But if they dont have any velocity... yes they can remain stuck. Usually they'll drift out in a reasonable amount of time and Im not hanging around waiting, but not tonight!
Im noticing as well that half the time I get back to my FC, I cannot transfer cargo to my carrier. The menu option (inventory - right panel) doesn't work, have to exit to main menu and back in, then I can do the transfer. shakes fist

The 'fix' I've found for the transfer bug is to simply go left one to filter and select, then de-select one of the filter items. Then simply hit back and its magically selectable again. Poor programming... I suppose they'll be expecting everyone to purchase Odyssey.... they seem to have no clue that they're p*ssing us all off with these delightful quirks and making us not want to play. Fix little issues FDEV for the love of the community spirit!!! You're alienating your player base because you have lazy coders.

Highly likely it’s this ^
The PWS is a 360 degree pulse is it not?

Therefore if rocks in front of a ship aren’t glowing and rocks behind are it’s because the game simply hadn’t loaded their properties in time as you fly by.

Would make sense, the whole games pretty laggy at the moment.
Well kind of but it's not purely a timing thing. If you sit there without moving and just pulse it does nothing, I gave that a try last night. It's not until you physically pass the rocks and then turn around that you see them glowing.

Glad i made all my billions Before the mining fixes madness that started with the Carriers introduction in June '20

Glad i made all my billions Before the mining fixes madness that started with the Carriers introduction in June '20
same but I still like the odd mining session for a bit of variety
not that long ago I swore I would never buy a carrier but then I figured what the hell else was I gona spend my billions on?
as I already have the ships I want
and it makes a handy mobile ptatform for all your STUFF!

Surely, you have some feelings for those who are not as well-off. Fly a few Mm in their shoes, no?
Whether intended or not, the mechanics of DC finding/blasting have changed, and I believe it falls upon our shoulders, as responsible gamers, to bring new techniques of doing so effectively to light. The patch notes certainly do not. Where else will new miners learn the ropes, if not us billionaires?

Do not worry, new miners who find no joy in hunting for orange rocks in reverse. There is a link to report this issue. Shall we do the good thing, and upvote the heck out of it?

\\///
Oo.
Spike.k

Well, my advice for beginners would be to stay away from core mining until the PWA issue is fixed. Laser mining painite is your next best option if you want to do mining, even though it may not be as fun as blowing up rocks.

You should NOT have to give up VO Cores just because FDEV jacked up your PWS! If your PWS is truly broken, mine is meh, iffy, and still want VOs because LTDs, and anything else, pretty much blows, plus core mining is just a blast, literally.... Just look for the Popcorn asteroids. I can spot them without a PWS now that I have done it enough, and you can too! So this is for anyone that might be a beginner or unsure. They will almost certainly have all three of the characteristics:

1. Slightly Icy but not Overly Icy.
2. Will ALWAYS, IME, have at least one, but more often, two little mountain bumps that plateau at the top with fissures smack in the middle of the plateau. Can't miss these!
3. Fissures. Look for the prominent spidery fissures, with their veins a greenish, nearly glowing, color of a green'ish hue.

Now, these could also be LTDs, so you may as well take 'em if you hit 'em. You should not have to stop VO mining just because FDEV messed up your PWS. Just look for the characteristics above, and pictured below, and Prospect that rock! Also, the VO cores are never, again in my experience, inside the field. They will always be at the edges of the ring. I have never seen a VO Core that was not either right on the ring's edge, or more common, no more than one asteroid back. I think they do this to give you a little room to get out of the way before detonation. Also, two last observations would be there's almost always a LARGE asteroid very close to the VO Core (more so after this break patch), but not always, and VO Cores tend to spin a little faster, than directly adjacent asteroids, umm, mostly. If they are spinning too fast, I usually pass 'em up, as trying to keep up with aiming at the fissures can be a little much, but if your ship and your flying is good, you should be fine. Don't let them take your money, just learn to "Read the Rocks". One thing I will say, that's about as bad as a jacked up PWS, is that FDEV has now tossed in (more) impostor Cores. You think you hit a Core, you're SURE this is a Core and nope, it's a dupe! I guess we just got to play their "game". Good luck! Hope this helps a new miner, that doesn't want to sit there and laser for chump change. And use your Night Vision, helps with the fissure spotting.

endless.jpg

Perhaps if we send DEV a pubescent girl, naked on horseback.
That Greta Thunberg, she'd be looking for work wouldn't she?
Get her to sit outside DEV'sville with a sign complaining about the destruction of our imaginary ventures. "You have stolen my asteroids. How DARE you?"

Perhaps if we send DEV a pubescent girl, naked on horseback.
That Greta Thunberg, she'd be looking for work wouldn't she?
Get her to sit outside DEV'sville with a sign complaining about the destruction of our imaginary ventures. "You have stolen my asteroids. How DARE you?"
WAIT... "imaginary"?! :unsure: :oops: :mad: :cry:

WAIT... "imaginary"?! :unsure: :oops: :mad: :cry:
No, sorry, you're right. When I spend long hours picking and popping those dark webbed wonders of the wooniwervse, it is very real.
It was fully real a few days ago when I made a dash in my Python to sell my 192t of VO and ran out of gas in Solo.
And it was really real today when I tried to go get some more VO and found the gameplay has been knocked out of whack.

Well that explains my duster of a core mining session last night. I had to resort to laser mining, which killed my enthusiasm for mining.

Top Bottom