Pulse Wave Scanner Works...Backwards

I must admit, you can still mine by flying back and forth. Slow and annoying but doable. One good thing has come of this, I got 1.677mil per opal, 2 jumps from home.

I noticed that too, the VO chunks getting "stuck" inside the asteroid. I was like why the heck can't I get to these VOs?!! They were INSIDE the asteroid! Oy! By the way... how do you fly with FAO all the time? I find that impossible, but have seen people do it. There's no way I can control my ship with my X52 Pro with FAO for any real amount of time and use it just for quick split second maneuvers. My hat's off to you, and anyone, that can fly with it off all the time. That's some skill.
It takes lots of practice, I used these vids, there are others out there too, https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIQVVKXGd78AiYjhGUNZL9dFm23hYgc8R
After a bit it just switches in your head from concious effort to a reflex, and when it does it is magic, every aspect of flying becomes fun fun fun =)
If you take the plunge stop by Newtons Gambit discord server 07

I noticed this last night, I've been away for a while.
It can be added to the long list of everything else in ED that is always behind a star, rock formation or just behind you in general.

o7,

I'm experiencing a similar or maybe the same issue when looking for Tritium SSDs lately. When I drop into a Trit hotspot it usually works fine for a while, I ping the roids with the PWA and a few light up as they should. Then after a while it seems the hotspot forgets it's a hotspot and nothing lights up anymore although the previous yield was good.

Solution: log out to main menu, log back in, ping the roids again and be amazed that you were sitting directly in front of a few nicely glowing rocks.
I realize this might not work for miners inside the bubble as a relog will prompt pirates to spawn. But if you're out in the void looking for Trit it might just work for you. I've not tested this with core hunting, though.

Maybe it helps a few of you, good luck!

Three hours of core mining this morning, and I did mostly OK out on the run while flipping my ship, The Blind Squirrel (formerly The Flipping Pig, formerly The Merry Pig) over and over again in the asteroid field then pinging the Pulse Wave Scanner to find some good mining candidates (glowing asteroids). Since I have no idea when - if at all, Frontier is going to fix the Pulse Wave Scanner (PWS) I've adapted to the broken tool, and long for the days when the equipment worked as advertised. I wonder if new players - new miners, will think the PWS is supposed to be this wonky?

I almost went crazy by the time I filled my Python with saleable stuff. I've noticed some rocks will glow then go dark until you go past them and turn back.
I used to enjoy mining but this just feels like a 'urine' take. The complete lack of comment or action from those who threw this spanner into mining game play, make it seem cynical and deliberate.
The money I paid for this game is paltry compared to the many hundreds of hours I have spent learning and playing.
The time, effort and experiences along the way build a relationship with the game that runs much deeper than any game that can be easily picked up - or put down.
Then something like this happens and we are reminded that the experience cannot be relied upon and that the relationship we have built is only in our own minds.

In the last few days I have been doing nothing but VO-Mining and I simply cannot see what you are talking about. I have seen the described behaviour twice, but that was a few days ago and then never again. What is it and why? Is it maybe my slow ship (CMK4)? Note that the way I check the rocks for fishures, I always wrap my ship around the rocks anyway (in FA Off, while pulsing all the time) and thus should see it. Something is really fishy here...

Apart from that, if I have a good session, I bring 58 tons of VO home in about 40 minutes. That certainly doesn't make me a top earner, but let's face it: Does that sound like a broken PWA* to you?

*(Smart-hat on: It's called pulse wave Analyser, not pulse wave Scanner) :geek:
I (used to) fly on a constant heading toward the targeted hotspot, among the asteroids, swerving out to one side then the other, pulsing all the time and looking for the tell-tale flashes of super-bright or blocky black. Reactive asteroids always reacted from every angle, if they were swept by the wave they showed you their hand.
Now I can travel among the nuggets with my intergalactic depth sounder pinging it's heart out and see damned well nothing for ping after ping after ping after ping. Nothing but dead grey clangenheimers.
Then spin on the spot and look back the way I've just come and hello - there's all the lovely yellow rocks.
But if you keep going back in the other direction, the roids go grey again and you see nothing until you turn back on those you have just passed.

It's about as much fun as a speed hump.

I spent 6 hours today in a "Void Opal HotSpot" (Pff!) looking for and finally finding... 98 VOs, 17 LTDs (which, less than a month ago I would have just passed by) and 13, umm, whatever the hell they were... they broke Core mining so badly I want a refund! These STUPID "developers" act like this is REAL money coming out of their paychecks. If you're going to break the only thing in the game that PAYS for stuff, then at least offer to SELL credits for real money. I would have NO problem paying say $100 for $10 Billion credits. Then I wouldn't have to spend my time in some worthless felid of rocks, with a PWS scanner that half works, and more time enjoying combat, exploration, Thargoid hunts, building ships and having FUN. Listen you dim-witted developers, it's a game and a game is supposed to be fun! Yes, I get it's "Elite", the grind and all that and I appreciate a lot of the mechanics. You do feel good when you've busted your butt to get all the stuff to put together the ship of your dreams, but DEV dudes... provide a means to make the credits. Either FIX the broken PWS and PUT BACK the VOs or start selling credits. Pick one, please! And the argument that you can do "Passengers" missions or something else is rot, nothing pays as well as VOs. My ENTIRE existence in this game is due to my Krait, 128t of cargo and VOs. That's how I pay my bills. Tomorrow, I am buying a Type-10 and trying my luck at (shudder) laser mining, which has to be the MOST boring thing I can think of in this game, besides maybe doing circles around Dav's Hope 4000 times! :mad:

I (used to) fly on a constant heading toward the targeted hotspot, among the asteroids, swerving out to one side then the other, pulsing all the time and looking for the tell-tale flashes of super-bright or blocky black. Reactive asteroids always reacted from every angle, if they were swept by the wave they showed you their hand.
Now I can travel among the nuggets with my intergalactic depth sounder pinging it's heart out and see damned well nothing for ping after ping after ping after ping. Nothing but dead grey clangenheimers.
Then spin on the spot and look back the way I've just come and hello - there's all the lovely yellow rocks.
But if you keep going back in the other direction, the roids go grey again and you see nothing until you turn back on those you have just passed.

It's about as much fun as a speed hump.
So, if the Pulse Wave Scanner (PWS) snafu is somehow not affecting the game of some folks, you've been able to avoid it - then please send me whatever you're having! On my part, I've most definitely noticed (and reported to FD in their bug fix forum) the dramatic difference in the PWS operation since the last update. Again, I really don't mind a challenge. It's a fun game, but when the PWS is now behaving in such as way as to make mining discoveries annoying, then I'd like Frontier to fix it - make it the way it was before. I engaged in 3 hours of mining yesterday (which I used to enjoy more) and after flipping around like a june bug in a Georgia front porch light, I managed to find a few candidates for core mining (in a pristine resources asteroid field) but it was rather grueling instead of fun. Personally, I think the solution is pretty straightforward - whatever you did to the PWS with the last update - just undo that. Thanks Frontier. Hugs.

I have been laser mining in my Python since the problem began with PWS but tonight after unloading painite at my FC i decided to take my CobraMkIV core miner out and see if there was any change. Normally when mining I will drop into a ring about 700k from the hotspot and head in that direction but tonight as an experiment after reading many of the posts on looking behind you I decided to drop right on top of the hotspot and work in ever widening circles out from it and it worked. Right away I started seeing decent shiny asteroids when I came around and had 30 void opals and 20LTD's in a bit under an hour. To be honest although happy enough with that result considering that I filled up my python with 128units in the hold and 10 in the refinery in a bit over an hour I will keep on laser mining but going round in circles did give benefits.

I think this discussion is already getting pretty unspecific here, at least you are talking about VO core mining which is probably what suffers most from a not properly working PWA. Since I did exactly this over the past couple of days, even in the same ship, I can confirm that's a good idea to start far outside of the center where I usually get the worst results. It doesn't make much difference if you start at 2Mm, 1Mm or 500km, as long as you get enough room for scanning without inadvertently turning in circles. As always with such delicate stuff: replace 'is' and 'will' with 'seems' and 'IMO'. Currently I see no way to provide clear evidence for these theories, it's all based on personal experiences which always can lead to false conclusions of course. When in doubt, make up your own mind.

I don't fly always in a straight line, but frequently change my direction and keep it for a while (by using other markers like other hotspots or my carrier position for instance). Also looking back frequently is part of the way I approach my 'candidates' anyway. And yet, my results differ and suggest a great random factor - which is basically a good thing, IMO.

But one thing seems pretty clear to me now: I'm getting better, each day a little more, which strongly suggests a certain aspect of skill, or let's call it experience. It certainly helps for instance to be able to identify your candidates as soon as possible, as this will spare you a lot of wasted time to get closer only to draw a blank. I also believe (though there's still room for error here) that pristine rings increase your chances (which isn't quite easy to prove with such rare stuff like VOs). I also would not chose recommended systems by community apps, but explore my mining grounds for myself instead by choosing systems with preferably as little signs of mining activities as possible, like the presence of FCs and detonation clouds.

That said, last night I made 58 tons (full hopper included) in about 40 minutes. Certainly still not sensational, but pretty decent when the top selling prices are ~1.6Mio per ton. Currently it dropped down to 1.4Mio something, which is still quite ok as long as you don't expect these insane outcomes of triple hotspot mining in Borann. Something that will hopefully never come back, as there's nothing worse (in avoidance of the words stupid and embarrassing) than exploits provided by the devs themselves.

But then I'm fine with only a few patient miners doing VO mining as this will hopefully keep the demand high. That's basically where VO core mining should be IMO: not the mainstream road to riches but a fun activity for all those who like this sort of patient 'truffle hunting'. There's certainly something odd right now with the PWA, but also not as 'broken' as some are trying to hide their own incompetency behind. It's also not helpful to describe them in a way that no developer will be able to reproduce.
I totally agree, VO Core mining should be a little, maybe even a lot, "harder"... you shouldn't be tripping over them, that's for sure. This is "Elite" Dangerous, so I agree, there needs to be some degree of skill involved, but not a glitchy PWS, flying backwards, upside down, flying in circles, yada yada... Personally, I am just asking that the PWS be "fixed", and I am not even saying it's totally broken, but it IS highly glitching. I've VO Core minded enough to know. So yeah, fix the thing. Also, they thinned out VO Cores BIG TIME! Again, I have mined enough VOs, so I see what they've done. They even tossed in a ton more "fake" asteroids that appear to be VOs but are not. I don't know what the "balance" here is, but surely they can come up with something more creative than glitching the PWS and removing probably 95% of the VO Cores, no? Maybe move VOs further out, make you travel further... add pirates that actively search out VO Core miners instead of just scanning you on drop and leaving, or dying ;) As far as developers being able to reproduce... they know exactly what the issues are, they play the game, I think :unsure: By the way, has anyone noticed that even the U.C. Data sell screen is "broken"? You sell data and the screen doesn't refresh, you have to exit it and come back into it more than 75% of the time, as it doesn't refresh. It's been this way for weeks :cautious:

Last edited:
In general I support extremely rare and difficult to find stuff, nothing wrong with that IMO and actually a bold move from the devs, as that is kicking all the gold farmers in the knees. VOs getting the highest selling prices comes certainly for a reason. If anything, VO core mining should never feel like 'farming' but rather like truffle hunting. But both finding and paying should be based on solid game mechanics, not on obfuscated or even buggy oddities...
Agreed. I don't have a problem with valuable stuff being hard to find. Indeed, back in the pre-nerf days I always found myself scratching my head over why in Randomius' name stations would pay >1MCr/tn for something that you couldn't fly through a planetary icy ring without having to stop to clear the things out of your heat vents every 5 minutes.

But it should be hard based on rarity, not based on a suddenly buggy piece of equipment working/not working in an arbitrary fashion. If there aren't as many glowing rock anymore, then that's fine. I just want to know that if a rock isn't glowing, it's because it's not what I'm looking for, NOT that it might very well be because my PWA somehow has to wait for 10 minutes for confirmation from GalNet or whatever.

It's not quite that easy though. Not sure if you simplified the case, but you certainly know (or should know by now) that glowing alone does not indicate a core, which it never did by the way.
I know. That's not the issue. The issue is that I can go 20 clicks in a straight line and not see a glowing anything at all, then flip my ship over and see a dozen in the previously empty area. Heck, on a couple of occasions, just to try it, I have sat stationary in one spot, not moving an inch, firing the PWA over and over again, only to see glowing rocks pop into existence where previously there were none.

It's bugged. Period. :)

I know. That's not the issue. The issue is that I can go 20 clicks in a straight line and not see a glowing anything at all, then flip my ship over and see a dozen in the previously empty area. Heck, on a couple of occasions, just to try it, I have sat stationary in one spot, not moving an inch, firing the PWA over and over again, only to see glowing rocks pop into existence where previously there were none.

It's bugged. Period. :)
While I agree there are variables in mining in ED, differences and variety in asteroids, nuances in types of mining, all of it. And all of it makes for some unique gameplay experiences - I'm still left with the same issue, the same request. The Pulse Wave Scanner (PWS) is now jacked up. What MishaTX is describing is spot on target for the issue at hand. I suppose, if the PWS had been introduced to ED as is - it might have seemed to be a rather quirky (but fun!) gadget which might be helpful in mining somehow or another. However, I've used the PWS for a lot of hours of gameplay in its previous state of operation, and so now it seems entirely frustrating to use it.

Look, I'm not out to make YouTube videos about how "you too can make billions of credits an hour core mining in Elite Dangerous with my simple plan" kind of thing, I probably won't ever have a billion credits in this game, nor own a shiny fleet carrier, but I do enjoy the peculiar work of mining in a space simulator game known as Elite Dangerous. And in the game, I'd just like to see the PWS restored to it's former operating usefulness.

Additionally, I can't help but think of new players, new miners (post last game update when the PWS issue seems to have originated) who see the in-game module called Pulse Wave Scanner, read the description and think - "hey, this thing may help me find a few likely prospects for mining in a vast field of asteroids, because my ship can't carry 100 million prospector limpets, and heck, this game should be kind of fun anyway, right?" Only now, they install the PWS in their mining outfitted ship, and go plant themselves in an asteroid field in the game, and then have to flip over relentlessly, pinging away at huge rocks with no return only to see them give a positive light return moments later. If I were a new player, new miner using the PWS, I'd probably think - the module is stupid, irritating and doesn't match the description.

The Pulse Wave Scanner is most definitely NOT operating as it did before the last game update installed. It needs to be fixed, returned to its former operability. The flipping miners should be given rest. Frontier team, please fix the Pulse Wave Scanner feature. Period. :)

Good point MishaTX, nerfing by making loot more scarce would be a much more reasonable and acceptable approach - if it was necessary.
The current situation feels like being taunted and deceived. "You can't see me, till you run past me and look back".
What worries me, is the lack of response or information or a patch or any damn thing, from the folk who are pulling the levers.

Good point MishaTX, nerfing by making loot more scarce would be a much more reasonable and acceptable approach - if it was necessary.
The current situation feels like being taunted and deceived. "You can't see me, till you run past me and look back".
Exactly. I'm all fine with very profitable roids being scarce, as a matter of fact that's the way it should be in my opinion, and not all glowing 'roids should be a guaranteed payday either, they might not be the 'roids you're looking for. All good.

What I'm NOT fine with is my PWA being a piece of junk that will tell me that "this rock isn't interesting in any way" one moment and then, thirty seconds or five minutes later glowing like a Christmas tree saying "hey, tricked you!". If a rock is dark when I scanned it, if a hundred rocks are like that, then OK. Bad day. But I don't really want to have to re-scan every roid in the belt a hundred times just to see if the lack of a glow earlier was due to the scanner being bugged. I'll just move on until I find something that DOES glow, prospect it and then either curse or bless my luck, both are fine to me.

What worries me, is the lack of response or information or a patch or any damn thing, from the folk who are pulling the levers.
Welcome to ED. As much as I love this game, much to the frustration of my family, I'm sure, one thing the devs are not known for is any sort of community management, which is funny, considering the number of community managers they have. Communication is purely on a "we'll tell you once it's been done and you all know it anyway" basis.

I'm not saying they don't pay attention or don't listen, I'm not a mind reader, but they are absolutely atrocious when it comes to communicating with their community.

Why that is, I don't know. It's not like I expect a daily update on exactly what they're doing (it would be great though, but not really reasonable to demand), but the occasional "heard, we're aware of it, and we're working on a fix, we'll let you know if we can find one" would be nice. Instead of weeks of silence followed by a notice. Maybe.

Top Bottom