Pulse Wave Scanner Works...Backwards

I took The Merry Pig out for a couple hours of core mining today, and think I may have discovered something in relation to the very recently suggested mining troubles. First, let me say - I really like this game. I'm not down on Frontier or anything, just want to have fun with the game. Also, I like mining. I'm not all that great at combat, and I usually fall asleep exploring.

Mining...

Anyway, I lined myself up on the planet - on the edge of the rocky ring and keyed my Pulse Wave Scanner (PWS). Nothing ahead of me, not even a slightly glowing asteroid. I'm used to seeing 5 or 6 of some type, and at least one brightly glowing - which is what I'm after. So, I keep moving forward. Hitting the PWS lots of times. Moving forward. And forward. Scanning. One asteroid slightly glowing off to my starboard side. Kept moving, scanning. Lots of time passes. Nothing.

Then the thought struck me - what if the resources are out there, but something is preventing me from seeing them? What if the PWS is not functioning like it should - like I'm used to?

I recalled seeing something about the PWS, and something about a fix to refresh resources or something in the game. A connection somehow?

So, I tried experimenting with the PWS. Slowed my ship, sped up. Might be picking up a few more pings. Then I stopped my ship and pulled back on the flight stick until I was completely flipped over, facing away from the landmark of the planet. Pinged the PWS and lots of returns. What? It didn't make sense, because I'd already pinged away at all those asteroids and seen nothing. Odd. So, I flipped my ship around again until I faced the other direction, pinged the PWS and nothing. So, I set an asteroid ahead as a marker, and once I arrived at it, I flipped The Merry Pig over again and pinged the PWS. There they were. Glowing asteroids.

I have no idea if it's just me or if the Pulse Wave Scanner in the game is now dis-functional?

For the next hour, I was able to core mine by setting a marker asteroid, moving forward, then flipping over and firing the PWS to find asteroid targets. It was an annoying process, a work-around but it worked. One step forward, two steps back.

I would like for the PWS to work in my game like it did before - so I can travel to a resource rich area, scan for resources, see plenty of prospects, then narrow down to the best candidates for a prospector limpet, then a carpeting of seismic explosives to free the goodies for my collector limpets (I call 'em piglets) to bring to me.

Frontier, are you listening? Can you look into this, fix it if it's not working? Please?

There's another thread about the broken PWA here that you could read:

There's another thread about the broken PWA here that you could read:

Very helpful. Thanks for the tip, Mr. T

So glad someone else has found the error in the PWA, I found this out 2 days ago same exact problem. I am having to flip my ship around and scan in the opposite direction from where I came to see the core asteroids. Hope this is a temporary bug.

I took The Merry Pig out for a couple hours of core mining today, and think I may have discovered something in relation to the very recently suggested mining troubles. First, let me say - I really like this game. I'm not down on Frontier or anything, just want to have fun with the game. Also, I like mining. I'm not all that great at combat, and I usually fall asleep exploring.

Mining...

Anyway, I lined myself up on the planet - on the edge of the rocky ring and keyed my Pulse Wave Scanner (PWS). Nothing ahead of me, not even a slightly glowing asteroid. I'm used to seeing 5 or 6 of some type, and at least one brightly glowing - which is what I'm after. So, I keep moving forward. Hitting the PWS lots of times. Moving forward. And forward. Scanning. One asteroid slightly glowing off to my starboard side. Kept moving, scanning. Lots of time passes. Nothing.

Then the thought struck me - what if the resources are out there, but something is preventing me from seeing them? What if the PWS is not functioning like it should - like I'm used to?

I recalled seeing something about the PWS, and something about a fix to refresh resources or something in the game. A connection somehow?

So, I tried experimenting with the PWS. Slowed my ship, sped up. Might be picking up a few more pings. Then I stopped my ship and pulled back on the flight stick until I was completely flipped over, facing away from the landmark of the planet. Pinged the PWS and lots of returns. What? It didn't make sense, because I'd already pinged away at all those asteroids and seen nothing. Odd. So, I flipped my ship around again until I faced the other direction, pinged the PWS and nothing. So, I set an asteroid ahead as a marker, and once I arrived at it, I flipped The Merry Pig over again and pinged the PWS. There they were. Glowing asteroids.

I have no idea if it's just me or if the Pulse Wave Scanner in the game is now dis-functional?

For the next hour, I was able to core mine by setting a marker asteroid, moving forward, then flipping over and firing the PWS to find asteroid targets. It was an annoying process, a work-around but it worked. One step forward, two steps back.

I would like for the PWS to work in my game like it did before - so I can travel to a resource rich area, scan for resources, see plenty of prospects, then narrow down to the best candidates for a prospector limpet, then a carpeting of seismic explosives to free the goodies for my collector limpets (I call 'em piglets) to bring to me.

Frontier, are you listening? Can you look into this, fix it if it's not working? Please?
I have also noticed this. Indeed, while DEV was trying to fix what they believe was broken (field reset), they broke the PWS, to the point where you'd swear there's nothing pinging. I've had to do a lot of weird ship contortions to get pings myself. This development team man, they are something else. I have also noticed split second pings, then nothing, or a ping that WAS RIGHT THERE, then gone when I approached the asteroid. Sad :(

"The things we do for lode, the things we do for lode" 11cc

Weirdly enough, I'm simply getting used to the extra step of having to fly to a spot, flipping my ship over and firing off my busted Pulse Wave Scanner (PWS) then going to the asteroids I'm hunting. It shouldn't be this way - they should fix the PWS so it works as advertised once again, but until they do, I'm "bending over backwards" to to my core mining. With style, with pizzazz even.

Yes, I think Red House may be on to something there! Fine, keep the PWS broken - we can install a new backup camera module (Frontier ED Team are you taking notes?), install Lorenzo's new backup | reverse alarm klaxon module (available at most fine stations) and then we can line up on a planet, go to the inner-most ring, get down in the asteroid field, fire up the backup camera, hit our reverse thrusters with the safety reverse klaxon sounding away, and then use the PWS aft of us to find those lode bearing asteroids with the good core goodies. Watch your speed, mates!

By all that is holy - THIS COULD WORK! :geek:

As a side benefit, the cold blooded pirates tracking us might simply look at our activity (backwards core mining) and think, "Crap, this Commander is a serious loony" and then fly away because we're too much of a head-case for them to bother robbing.

Froderick.jpg

I'm really not shocked that the latest mini patch broke something important in their attempt to fix something else. Its almost like there's some kind of connection here between obvious non testing or very poor testing at best, of code releases.... and incompetence. Frontier, please.... tighten up your testing and promote useless coders to management out of the way.

Curious to know whether Frontier has any meetings before they "fix" anything.It's almost as if they are all acting as individuals just doing something to justify getting paid.

Curious to know whether Frontier has any meetings before they "fix" anything.It's almost as if they are all acting as individuals just doing something to justify getting paid.
Here's their meeting...

"People are making too much money (in a game!). Let's break fix that! Ok, back to work, stop the money making Priority #1!"

So now I'm curious, how are people flying backwards without smacking into asteroids? Do you fly backwards just above the field and look down?

So now I'm curious, how are people flying backwards without smacking into asteroids? Do you fly backwards just above the field and look down?
Maybe a two man Wing, one guys goes forward and directs the PWS guy that's flying backward... FDEV!!! I wonder if Planet Zoo or Coaster has these kinds of issues :( We wouldn't want the Zoo making too much money, or people getting access to "Elite" Roller Coaster parts that have not put in the 10,000 hours of tedious work! Nope!

No, not flying backwards. Yet. Just flipping over and re-scanning the asteroids. It's VERY annoying but it works. Mostly. I'm renaming my ship, The Merry Pig to The Flipping Pig.
Ok, are you turning flight assist off? I imagine that would make it easier to do the flip without the other thrusters interferring.

I haven't mined for a couple of weeks, but I noticed the PWS behaving oddly as well, everything stated above sums up what its doing.

Yea that's what I was doing, I fly fa-off all the time anyways, but you can map a key to make toggle easy. It was more like slowly spinning left to right to left to right while drifting backwards just above the belt.

While we're on stuff thats broken with mining, the bits after a core detonation getting stuck in rocks, was only half /\ss 'fixed'. I just had 2 VO bits expire inside a piece of rock. I'm going to say they 'could have' floated out, but the 'fix' was not to stop them from going inside a chunk in the first place, simply to allow them to pass out again. But if they dont have any velocity... yes they can remain stuck. Usually they'll drift out in a reasonable amount of time and Im not hanging around waiting, but not tonight!
Im noticing as well that half the time I get back to my FC, I cannot transfer cargo to my carrier. The menu option (inventory - right panel) doesn't work, have to exit to main menu and back in, then I can do the transfer. shakes fist

Yea that's what I was doing, I fly fa-off all the time anyways, but you can map a key to make toggle easy. It was more like slowly spinning left to right to left to right while drifting backwards just above the belt.
Ok, I've been meaning to map a button to toggle FA for after I build a combat ship but guess I will do it sooner rather than later. I'm not used to flying with it off all the time but it's easy enough to toggle off and on when required.
While we're on stuff thats broken with mining, the bits after a core detonation getting stuck in rocks, was only half /\ss fixed. I just had 2 VO bits expire inside a piece of rock. I'm going to say they 'could have' floated out, but the fix was not to stop them from going inside a chunk in the first place, simply to allow them to pass out again. But if they dont have any velocity... yes they can remain stuck. Usually they'll drift out in a reasonable amount of time and Im not hanging around waiting, but not tonight!

Yeah, I've noticed that too. The poor limpets are besides themselves trying to get the stuck fragments and eventually expire.

Im noticing as well that half the time I get back to my FC, I cannot transfer cargo to my carrier. The menu option (inventory - right panel) doesn't work, have to exit to main menu and back in, then I can do the transfer. shakes fist

Ah yes, the transfer button bug. A quicker way of getting around it is to select one of the FILTER options and then unselect it.

I haven't mined for a couple of weeks, but I noticed the PWS behaving oddly as well, everything stated above sums up what its doing.

While we're on stuff thats broken with mining, the bits after a core detonation getting stuck in rocks, was only half /\ss 'fixed'. I just had 2 VO bits expire inside a piece of rock. I'm going to say they 'could have' floated out, but the 'fix' was not to stop them from going inside a chunk in the first place, simply to allow them to pass out again. But if they dont have any velocity... yes they can remain stuck. Usually they'll drift out in a reasonable amount of time and Im not hanging around waiting, but not tonight!
I noticed that too, the VO chunks getting "stuck" inside the asteroid. I was like why the heck can't I get to these VOs?!! They were INSIDE the asteroid! Oy! By the way... how do you fly with FAO all the time? I find that impossible, but have seen people do it. There's no way I can control my ship with my X52 Pro with FAO for any real amount of time and use it just for quick split second maneuvers. My hat's off to you, and anyone, that can fly with it off all the time. That's some skill.

Top Bottom