Pulse Wave Scanner Works...Backwards

They did say they were going to buff the prices on all of the other core types as well. Maybe things like Alexandrite and serendibite will be financially competitive to VOs now.
FDEV never actually improves anything, only NERFS! I am getting tired of this game. I have over 2,600 hours into it and I think that's about it for me. It's a big grind for nothing, things keep changing and hardly ever for the better, Odyssey is on a path to completely wreck the game, VO's are near impossible to find and will pay LESS, no talk of the PWA fix or whatever's going on with it. This game is just starting to really suck now. I am tired of being at the will and whim of FDEV's mood changes, who can't program a game to save their lives! I wouldn't be surprised if the only way to find VO's soon will be to travel 1000Lys out somewhere.

DTEA Talks for a Second on the PWA at around 7:00 in. Not much though. "Still Investigating" Even asks the obvious question, how you supposed to Core Mine without the main tool to Core mine?!

Last edited:
I don't think prices were the issue. It was the way you mine. You cannot have every second asterois to contain 20% and more painite. The way you mine and find minerals should be changed. If I fill a cutter for on ehour with painite even 600K will be OK.

I had a load of VO last night and could only get 1.1m for them so parked up thinking prices might be better today. Just sold them for 700k and was lucky to get that.

What a circus. After all this time they are only just investigating the PWA.
I reckon the PWA wonkiness is deliberate and they've been waiting to see how well it reduces incomes. The anomaly appeared with an update and this will be the second update where it remains unfixed.
They should have had the decency to tell us instead of all this doubt and silence and waiting.

Wow, the sell price for VO's is horrible! WT?! That's just sad. Maybe it will come back over the million mark but doubt it. VO is dead to me, until the sell price comes back up, WAY UP! FDEV really knows how to ruin a game, or at least selected parts of it, at their whim and pleasure! :mad:

FDEV never actually improves anything, only NERFS! I am getting tired of this game. I have over 2,600 hours into it and I think that's about it for me. It's a big grind for nothing, things keep changing and hardly ever for the better, Odyssey is on a path to completely wreck the game, VO's are near impossible to find and will pay LESS, no talk of the PWA fix or whatever's going on with it. This game is just starting to really suck now. I am tired of being at the will and whim of FDEV's mood changes, who can't program a game to save their lives! I wouldn't be surprised if the only way to find VO's soon will be to travel 1000Lys out somewhere.

So I apologise I didn't see this comment earlier. It must have gotten lost in notifications. So I'm gonna be frank. When Fleet Carrier's were in Beta I was strongly in the camp of absolutely no offline upkeep whatsoever. I was strongly critized because "oh you can earn a week's upkeep in 10 minutes of mining so it's not a big deal". Well here's the thing:
A) you don't know if fdev will ever severely nerf mining and
B) you don't know if Fdev will keep upkeep costs the same.

Well guess what? They nerfed mining to about 40Mill per hour which means it will take about 30-45 minutes now to earn your upkeep. So frankly at this point I just don't care how much they nerf things any more. The community brought it on themselves and will not stand up to fdev or the try hards of this game. The try hards yell the loudest and want everyone to earn less than 500,000 credits an hour and fdev listen to them. The community at large will not stand up to them for whatever reason so eventually we are all going to be stuck flying cobra 3s for years. So yeah the nerf sucks but honestly I just don't care anymore. I earned my Billions and I'll sit on them happily watching the rest of the game burn.

I'm a bit late to the party having just come back from Sag A*. Hopped into my favorite mining ship and flew right into this issue. I'm still not sure what aspect of this I'm more baffled by; the fact that the pulse wave 'works' backwards or the fact that it's almost December - months and months after this rather serious bug was reported - and Frontier has let it languish.

I'm a bit late to the party having just come back from Sag A*. Hopped into my favorite mining ship and flew right into this issue. I'm still not sure what aspect of this I'm more baffled by; the fact that the pulse wave 'works' backwards or the fact that it's almost December - months and months after this rather serious bug was reported - and Frontier has let it languish.
They have no intention of fixing anything like this until they can "fix" it for Odyssey. So, as they go through the Odyssey update, tweaking and doing what needs to be done, at some point they will get to this, however, don't expect it fixed until it's 'fixed" and released WITH Odyssey. Get where I am going with that? They don't care right now.

I can almost understand why they wanted to put a handbrake on mining. There are videos showing new players how to use mining to just move through a wealth progression that was planned to take much longer. But it's only money, everyone still needs to grind for rank and trot all over the place doing things designed specifically to taaaaake tiiiiiime, to unlock ships and engineers. We all need to collect materials, minerals, data. We all have to make our way through unlocking the Guardian stuff and join powers to get their special stuff.

I really enjoyed mining and still do somewhat but the PWA is stupid and unpredictable. Reducing the payout or reducing the density of valuable rocks would still have felt like fair play but fouling up the tool we use to find the rocks, feels like spite and anger. The long silence followed by the latest apathy does nothing to ease that feeling.

I guess we can look forward to our ship controls malfunctioning if we get too many kills.
Wrecking the enjoy-ability of gameplay, to regulate one aspect of progress.

Last edited:
So they make VO for 1.3 mil max, ive seen plenty of stations selling VO for 1.2-1.3. Now, there are NONE... around 700K max and occasionally 800K and combined with how hard VOs are to get now due to low ammount of them and bugged scanner, its just terrible. I dont have 50 hours week to fly around rocks and do mining to only get money to equip corvette... or to fly over hour to make only on two rebuys for it that can be lost in few minutes. I can fly and grind rank missions as its 2-4 clicks per run so i can do stuff to work but i simply dont have time to mine all the time. And i dont have fun having to long grind for everything. I really wonder what word FUN means for devs as their ideal fun have to be sitting on chair and doing the same work 10hours per day for whole year.

Took the Blind Squirrel out for an hour this AM. Core mining. True to form - the PWA was no crowd pleaser, still not operating as it did before the September 2020 update. So, I fired away at the asteroids in front of me, to see only a few random low-yield rocks, then flipped over and found a few quality targets for mining.

My method to counter the "glitchy" PWA is pass about 15 to 20 asteroids, then flip and find. Found two VO cores, and two Alexandrite cores. I think with the flattening of the market on minerals, I actually made more on the Alexandrite this time around.

Hoping (blindly, yes) that FD fixes the PWA before Santa requests docking permission at my station.

INARA Signature 2020.jpg

I feel as though I should post a PSA here. There was a short lived rumor on reddit that someone found a "fix" for the PWA. If you put it in some utility slots that have it facing a certain direction then it's fixed. It doesn't work and was debunked within hours so I thought it would be worth a mention here in case someone runs across it

I feel as though I should post a PSA here. There was a short lived rumor on reddit that someone found a "fix" for the PWA. If you put it in some utility slots that have it facing a certain direction then it's fixed. It doesn't work and was debunked within hours so I thought it would be worth a mention here in case someone runs across it
It would have been nice if the fix was that simple. Hopefully FD have some idea how to fix it.

It would have been nice if the fix was that simple. Hopefully FD have some idea how to fix it.
They are nerfing mining. The PWA anomaly was the first attempt. Now they are messing around with the pricing.
I don't expect the PWA to be fixed and I don't expect FD to be honest about it.

It's not exactly enjoyable, but so is no workaround I guess, but rolling my ship constantly while scanning seems to make the scanner work?

A question about the broken PWA was responded to by FD in the 2nd AMA:

We have answered the PWA question in our opening post however I will answer it again here for you...​

The team and I are acutely aware of the PWA issue and the justified frustrations this causes our players.
We have been raising it with the development team who are currently working hard trying to establish what has gone wrong and why.

Please bear in mind that this is an incredibly busy time for them and they are also hampered by working from home, which despite the best efforts of everyone involved does affect the collaborative effort when it comes to solving problems.

A) I do not know what is causing the issues

B) There were no notes on it because there was no intention to alter it

C) The re-balancing used historical data as well as current, as was stipulated this is an ongoing process and one we will refine if required.
Link: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...e-stephen-and-paul.559921/page-4#post-8828146

In other words, they have no idea what is causing the PWA issue or how to fix it. :(

A question about the broken PWA was responded to by FD in the 2nd AMA:

We have answered the PWA question in our opening post however I will answer it again here for you...

The team and I are acutely aware of the PWA issue and the justified frustrations this causes our players.

We have been raising it with the development team who are currently working hard trying to establish what has gone wrong and why.

Please bear in mind that this is an incredibly busy time for them and they are also hampered by working from home, which despite the best efforts of everyone involved does affect the collaborative effort when it comes to solving problems.

A) I do not know what is causing the issues

B) There were no notes on it because there was no intention to alter it

C) The re-balancing used historical data as well as current, as was stipulated this is an ongoing process and one we will refine if required.

Link: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...e-stephen-and-paul.559921/page-4#post-8828146

In other words, they have no idea what is causing the PWA issue or how to fix it. :(
But at least a definitive answer instead of "we've heard that... (mumble, mumble), looking into it (mumble, mumble) can't say..." :)

As far as i can tell the main problem with PWA is that there is no problem with PWA. It works as intended, scans in all directions at full range. Trying to dig trough PWA code and find the bug that does not exist and fix it isn't very useful and just distracts from solving the problem. And the problem seems to be that there's actually no resources in any asteroids until you fly face first into them. Either information doesn't get send to the client, not updated on the client, or whatever else it the reason, but end result is the same: the only asteroids with resources are the ones in a narrow ~2 km radius tunnel that your vessel creates as it travels through the asteroid field. PWA has no problem highlighting those regardless of distance to them(within its effective range) or orientation of the craft. It almost feels like some patches ago someone decided to save up on resources and reduce the distance at which data on asteroids is sent to the client from ~25 to ~2 km(they can't mine from more than 2 km, so they won't need that data, right?). If that's the case, then complaining about PWA being broken is akin to telling support that your PC is broken and demanding they fix it right now, when transformer exploded and power is out in entire city block. Issue is probably server side, so looking at PWA locally doesn't help at all.

Top Bottom