Putting bounty on real player who have killed you

No you can have it your way. You can be a playerkiller as much as you want. But there are no real consequences.

Are speaking from experience when you say there are no real consequences?

I ask because I think it's important to have some experience in all areas that would be affected by a proposed change.

Are speaking from experience when you say there are no real consequences?

I ask because I think it's important to have some experience in all areas that would be affected by a proposed change.

I for myself cannot do anything. The person will get a system bounty on its head which is quite low. You are allowed to kill these players without consequences (getting yourself a small bounty) - if you meet such a player, but searching for exactly the person who killed you is quite hard and really time consuming and depends on luck. NPC police in the system can attack you. But you can resolve such issues quite easy if you pay the bounty. You can buy your peace with almost no costs.

At the end the playerkiller has all the cards. I for myself only know how to flee or be shot down. I don't fight other players because I have a trade ship which is not modified for combat like the ships from these guys and I don't like fighting real people. The only option is to flee or to die. My combat rank is also only mostly harmless because I don't like to fight. I know that is my choice. The only active thing I'm doing after I got attacked is blocking this user, so he can most likely not attack me again because the system tries to separate us. But this doesn't really help to get your frustration down. The playerkiller got his kick and I can only block this person for not doing it again.

Yes I could play not in open but I still want the interaction with other real players. I also don't have something against playerkiller. If this is their enjoyment, that is OK with me. But it should be balanced. As a trader I want to have at least one possibility to get back at those people. If not my frustration level will rise with every time I'm killed and I will stop playing the game. That is not good for the playerkiller, the developers, other players and also not for me. Everyone will lose if the frustration level gets to high.
You could argue that the frustration level for the playerkiller will get higher. Yes but this player should consider more factors and the game will get more interesting and deeper. The only people who will lose big are the gankers who just want to kill easy targets without consequences.

A bounty system for players could be ok if its implemented in a way so it doesn't get exploited too much (and i say too much because almost everytime there is a way to abuse about things in a game). And i don't think transfer of credits between players could ruin the game if (again) is implemented right. In EVE online you could transfer credits between players and was fine.

I for myself cannot do anything. The person will get a system bounty on its head which is quite low. You are allowed to kill these players without consequences (getting yourself a small bounty) - if you meet such a player, but searching for exactly the person who killed you is quite hard and really time consuming and depends on luck. NPC police in the system can attack you. But you can resolve such issues quite easy if you pay the bounty. You can buy your peace with almost no costs.

At the end the playerkiller has all the cards. I for myself only know how to flee or be shot down. I don't fight other players because I have a trade ship which is not modified for combat like the ships from these guys and I don't like fighting real people. The only option is to flee or to die. My combat rank is also only mostly harmless because I don't like to fight. I know that is my choice. The only active thing I'm doing after I got attacked is blocking this user, so he can most likely not attack me again because the system tries to separate us. But this doesn't really help to get your frustration down. The playerkiller got his kick and I can only block this person for not doing it again.

Sorry, I wasn't clear earlier - I meant, do you have any first-hand experience of being on the other side of the law, as one who experiences the consequences of breaking it?

Going from the assumptions you are making, I don't think you do.

Yes I could play not in open but I still want the interaction with other real players.

I would love to eat all the cake and stay a size 12. Sometimes, we must make decisions whether we want one or the other. The design of Elite allows for multiple options, but playing in Open whilst being immune to hostile interactions is not one of them.

I also don't have something against playerkiller. If this is their enjoyment, that is OK with me. But it should be balanced. As a trader I want to have at least one possibility to get back at those people.

I used to play on the other side of the law; nothing was more frustrating to me than a trader who knew exactly how to get away from me, quickly and with minimal damage to themselves. Of course, I gave them a grudging respect for taking the time to learn evasive maneuvers, to fit their ship appropriately and keep it calm throughout - that does take some effort!

If not my frustration level will rise with every time I'm killed and I will stop playing the game.

Is this a "fix this or I'll quit!" whine? That's what it looks like, tbh.

I would love to eat all the cake and stay a size 12. Sometimes, we must make decisions whether we want one or the other. The design of Elite allows for multiple options, but playing in Open whilst being immune to hostile interactions is not one of them.

Please put the argument also the other way around. The whole cake is not only for people who like to kill other people. There is no option for players in open who don't like to do combat against other players. Or even for players who didn't use a combat vessel. There is no consequence. Even if I'm a battle maniac, how can I find the person who shot me with reasonable effort?

I used to play on the other side of the law; nothing was more frustrating to me than a trader who knew exactly how to get away from me, quickly and with minimal damage to themselves. Of course, I gave them a grudging respect for taking the time to learn evasive maneuvers, to fit their ship appropriately and keep it calm throughout - that does take some effort!

There are always circumstances why at one specific time you were unable to flee. Personally I also don't like the fleeing option which goes around the mass restriction. It is almost a willing exploit. I try do go with my role and don't like to exploit it, because it is an exploit and not something which should work in this universe.

Is this a "fix this or I'll quit!" whine? That's what it looks like, tbh.

It is a fact. Especially for beginners this can be quite realistic. But with to much frustration you normally quit doing, what you are doing.

Just to be clear again. I don't have something against playerkiller. I can even live with the fact, that there are people who try to delusionally convince themselves they are teaching people the right way how to play this game in killing them. It really doesn't matter. You can kill as many people you like and can. You can be as unlawful as it gets. I just want to have a fair tool for every other player to limit frustration level. It doesn't matter that it was skill, error on your side or anything else. It is always another experience when a real person killed you. The frustration of an NPC killing you is so much lower. I also don't want an unwinning solution for the playerkiller. This person should just have to plan more, act more in depth, calculate better, because there is a possibility accept fleeing to get you back.
Like in real life it should be possible to do something. Human nature is quite resentful, you should not let it build up.

Please put the argument also the other way around. The whole cake is not only for people who like to kill other people. There is no option for players in open who don't like to do combat against other players.

Yes there is - you can evade them, as I said earlier. That is how you beat them.

There is no consequence.

Yes there is - you wouldn't know because you've never tried playing as an outlaw.

Personally I also don't like the fleeing option which goes around the mass restriction. It is almost a willing exploit. I try do go with my role and don't like to exploit it, because it is an exploit and not something which should work in this universe.

You're the one holding yourself back here, not the game.

It is a fact. Especially for beginners this can be quite realistic. But with to much frustration you normally quit doing, what you are doing.

Right, so it is just a do this or I'll quit whine. Understood.

Just to be clear again. I don't have something against playerkiller. I can even live with the fact, that there are people who try to delusionally convince themselves they are teaching people the right way how to play this game in killing them. It really doesn't matter. You can kill as many people you like and can. You can be as unlawful as it gets. I just want to have a fair tool for every other player to limit frustration level. It doesn't matter that it was skill, error on your side or anything else. It is always another experience when a real person killed you. The frustration of an NPC killing you is so much lower. I also don't want an unwinning solution for the playerkiller. This person should just have to plan more, act more in depth, calculate better, because there is a possibility accept fleeing to get you back.
Like in real life it should be possible to do something. Human nature is quite resentful, you should not let it build up.

It is on you to manage your own emotions when playing a video game - no-one else can do that for you.

Right, so it is just a do this or I'll quit whine. Understood.

It is on you to manage your own emotions when playing a video game - no-one else can do that for you.

Conclusion:
I get it. The bully doesn't need something like that. And everyone who is not tough enough should toughen up, because there are enough possibilities.
But why do I still feel that there is missing such a possibility? Oh I get it, I'm just a y. Everything is perfect how it is. Live with it or go. I get it, I get it.

No I'm not going and I will still wine about it and like to have this feature. You can think what you want. It is neither your decision nor mine. I for myself think it will make the game better and more balanced. You have not brought up one convincing argument for myself why this feature would be bad.

And please enlighten me what terrible consequences are there for the poor playerkiller if he kills a newbie or manages to kill a merchant? Especially what he has to fear what they will do to him. He will definitely not fear them for wining in a forum.

I for myself would also consider just to surrender and let my cargo be stolen. Better than being shot down... but this is not really a possibility, because they like to destroy the ship and give a damn about the cargo. Even if you never shot back, because you have no weapons (they are unnecessary and you could not really kill an advanced combatant with a combat fighter).

Here's a thought: a CMDR can put a bounty of any amount on another CMDR, but that bounty pays out at a capped rate, say $1 million. So if I put $100 million on CMDR Doofus, and he gets killed, the killer gets $1 million, but Doofus still has a bounty on his head for another 99 ship deaths, even if he switches ships.

Here's a thought: a CMDR can put a bounty of any amount on another CMDR, but that bounty pays out at a capped rate, say $1 million. So if I put $100 million on CMDR Doofus, and he gets killed, the killer gets $1 million, but Doofus still has a bounty on his head for another 99 ship deaths, even if he switches ships.

This is more like it.

I'd suggest the bounty payout should be capped as a percentage of the ship value that was destroyed; that would mitigate the obvious exploit of killing your bountied friend's Sidewinder for a big payout.

The rest of the bounty pool remains until depleted.

I think the idea has merit but has to have some limitations. Unintended consequences need some brainstorming. imho, The first is that you have to be killed by the person you want a bounty on, and has to be immediately after the incident. You can't have wholesale bounties issued for no reason other than you don't like the guy/girl.
The murderers who just pulled ppl from SC and kill them for no reason have nothing to fear except what the system hits them with (fines, restrictions, etc.). Lots of good ideas above so I hope this gains ground and becomes a thing.

GL HF Commanders

It would be nice, if you could put a bounty with your in game money on other players who killed you. The amount would be of the players choosing. If I like to have this person killed for 500 million it should be possible.

Some people like me are traders. What do we have? Money. What can we get quite fast? Money.

Most time it is possible to flee, but sometimes when you fly quite long distances and you have to go to the door because somebody is there and you come back and you are dead, it can be frustrating. Yes I could quit the game but be honest if you have to fly 400k lightyears, would you go offline or would you just put in supercruise?

It would be fair to get the people back with the thing you are good at. When you are a trader you are good at getting money. If you are a fighter you are good at combat. It is unfair to tell a trader to fight against a "professional" fighter.

The best thing, it is a winwinwin scenario. You give people money who like to fight and they fight people who also like to fight and the trader gamer can lessen his frustration a little with money.

There is, The Dark Marauders are venturing into the assassination market, its a bit pricey but if you have money (or Void Opals) they will hunt your target and send him/her to the rebuy screen and even record the assassination for you to watch with some popcorn, the link below (copy and paste in browser I'm afraid) has all the details you will need. Fly safe Cmdr

Edit: only on xbox..

Last edited:
It would be nice, if you could put a bounty with your in game money on other players who killed you. The amount would be of the players choosing. If I like to have this person killed for 500 million it should be possible.

Some people like me are traders. What do we have? Money. What can we get quite fast? Money.

Most time it is possible to flee, but sometimes when you fly quite long distances and you have to go to the door because somebody is there and you come back and you are dead, it can be frustrating. Yes I could quit the game but be honest if you have to fly 400k lightyears, would you go offline or would you just put in supercruise?

It would be fair to get the people back with the thing you are good at. When you are a trader you are good at getting money. If you are a fighter you are good at combat. It is unfair to tell a trader to fight against a "professional" fighter.

The best thing, it is a winwinwin scenario. You give people money who like to fight and they fight people who also like to fight and the trader gamer can lessen his frustration a little with money.

I'm just taking an educated guess here, but couldn't you already get this done by employing the following tactics:
  1. Find a good fighter pilot or pilots.
  2. Pay them off with a prenegotiated amount of void opals to accompany you on a mission to whack the griefer(s) who killed you or send your hitman or hit team on their way and just have them video capture the hit as proof.
  3. After you verify the kill you and your hired assassin(s) slip into a private session together where you pay them their fee or you could instead pay them 20-50% of their fee upfront, then the balance after the job has been completed and verified.
  4. Block the griefer(s) whom you just had whacked and forget about he/she/them forever.
  5. Enjoy the satisfaction of watching the video of the hit over and over again.
Do you guys think this could work?

Yes I could play not in open but I still want the interaction with other real players. I also don't have something against playerkiller. If this is their enjoyment, that is OK with me. But it should be balanced. As a trader I want to have at least one possibility to get back at those people. If not my frustration level will rise with every time I'm killed and I will stop playing the game. That is not good for the playerkiller, the developers, other players and also not for me. Everyone will lose if the frustration level gets to high.
You could argue that the frustration level for the playerkiller will get higher. Yes but this player should consider more factors and the game will get more interesting and deeper. The only people who will lose big are the gankers who just want to kill easy targets without consequences.

If you still want the experience of having tons of people to play with but don't want the griefers (who does, right?), you could always join one of the private server communities that prohibit griefing and enforce reasonable rules. One of the big ones is at https://elitepve.com/page/about

This is more like it.

I'd suggest the bounty payout should be capped as a percentage of the ship value that was destroyed; that would mitigate the obvious exploit of killing your bountied friend's Sidewinder for a big payout.

The rest of the bounty pool remains until depleted.
I like this. Cap it at the bountied player's rebuy, that way there's no net gain in credits for the bounty target or the hunter, and it's a strict credit sink for the person placing the bounty.

I'm just taking an educated guess here, but couldn't you already get this done by employing the following tactics:
  1. Find a good fighter pilot or pilots.
  2. Pay them off with a prenegotiated amount of void opals to accompany you on a mission to whack the griefer(s) who killed you or send your hitman or hit team on their way and just have them video capture the hit as proof.
  3. After you verify the kill you and your hired assassin(s) slip into a private session together where you pay them their fee or you could instead pay them 20-50% of their fee upfront, then the balance after the job has been completed and verified.
  4. Block the griefer(s) whom you just had whacked and forget about he/she/them forever.
  5. Enjoy the satisfaction of watching the video of the hit over and over again.
Do you guys think this could work?

The problem here is, how do you find the person? If he is dumb enough to linger around every time at the same place OK. But even when you do it like that and he lingers around, it is quite a hassle to do this... an ingame option would be nice. At least some kind of tracking option would be needed.

At the moment I would go with this solution because I cannot see an exploit yet:
  • you can hire NPCs with a really advanced AI (but still killable - maybe Thargoid mothership level?) who will hunt the playerkiller (of course for an unreasonable high price and only at maximum 7 days after he killed you)
  • there will always be as many NPCs as there are wingmans or even other persons who are helping
  • you can buy how many attempts NPCs will take to kill the person (at max 10 times)
  • the NPC will jump out of the system before he gets killed so the playerkiller will not profit (maybe a special class of ship)
  • the NPC is only trying to kill the playerkiller when they fly an expansive ship (maybe the same ship or ship class you were killed in)
  • insurance costs will increase with every player you killed (maybe until 80% of the ship costs), because every insurance will take more money if it is more likely that you will be killed
  • the bounty will only be valid for a month
  • the bounty money is only refundable if no attempt of killing the person was done (maybe a step systems with the failed attempts)
  • there should be a surrender possibility for non combat players so piracy is still OK, where you are only loosing your cargo
  • and just for fun a sure kill option for 500 million would also be nice, where you send an army to kill a fly (yes when you have too much money you can technically buy everything you want)

The problem here is, how do you find the person? If he is dumb enough to linger around every time at the same place OK. But even when you do it like that and he lingers around, it is quite a hassle to do this... an ingame option would be nice. At least some kind of tracking option would be needed.

At the moment I would go with this solution because I cannot see an exploit yet:
  • you can hire NPCs with a really advanced AI (but still killable - maybe Thargoid mothership level?) who will hunt the playerkiller (of course for an unreasonable high price and only at maximum 7 days after he killed you)
  • there will always be as many NPCs as there are wingmans or even other persons who are helping
  • you can buy how many attempts NPCs will take to kill the person (at max 10 times)
  • the NPC will jump out of the system before he gets killed so the playerkiller will not profit (maybe a special class of ship)
  • the NPC is only trying to kill the playerkiller when they fly an expansive ship (maybe the same ship or ship class you were killed in)
  • insurance costs will increase with every player you killed (maybe until 80% of the ship costs), because every insurance will take more money if it is more likely that you will be killed
  • the bounty will only be valid for a month
  • the bounty money is only refundable if no attempt of killing the person was done (maybe a step systems with the failed attempts)
  • there should be a surrender possibility for non combat players so piracy is still OK, where you are only loosing your cargo
  • and just for fun a sure kill option for 500 million would also be nice, where you send an army to kill a fly (yes when you have too much money you can technically buy everything you want)
This seems overly complicated and would take a lot of FDevs development time.

Having a simple bounty system with perhaps a bounty board (listing bounties, CMDR combat ranking, last known location, squadron, PP faction, etc.) would ensure that a player killer with a bounty would be hunted by other CMDRs wherever they go.

Top Bottom