Putting bounty on real player who have killed you

Conclusion:
I get it. The bully doesn't need something like that. And everyone who is not tough enough should toughen up, because there are enough possibilities.
But why do I still feel that there is missing such a possibility? Oh I get it, I'm just a y. Everything is perfect how it is. Live with it or go. I get it, I get it.

No I'm not going and I will still wine about it and like to have this feature. You can think what you want. It is neither your decision nor mine. I for myself think it will make the game better and more balanced. You have not brought up one convincing argument for myself why this feature would be bad.

And please enlighten me what terrible consequences are there for the poor playerkiller if he kills a newbie or manages to kill a merchant? Especially what he has to fear what they will do to him. He will definitely not fear them for wining in a forum.

So what would your suggestion actually do then? How would this solve the issues you are describing?

You are simply suggesting a solution to a problem that you view from your limited experience in the game. That is why you have repeatedly been asking about what is your experience to play as the bad guy. Because if you have not experienced that part of the game, going on a "killing spree" to kill clean ships etc, you have no experience what kind of gameplay actually means. You do not have to kill other players, the game does not discriminate in that way, players do.

I got on the bad side when doing BGC work, as playing a the baddie, was very efficient to lower the influence of the controlling faction. So by all means, I did all the nasty things against NPCs that you now complain players did to you. I went into my killer ship, and I hunted down Typer 6, Type 7, and other ships that could not protect themselves, and I blew them up... then I deviated from the ganker formula as I actually stayed to fought authority ships until it was time for a tactical retreat, so I was heavilly wanted in that system, open Hostile against the controlling faction... So I know most the issues with being a baddie entails. But it does not appear that you do...

I have also a playerkiller I want to punish for their bad tactics, and I have been follwing him around, he accepted my friends request, and was mighty upset when I did not curse at him etc, just added him and went on my way... but since he did not remove me, I can now follow his location. and let me explain to ytou how hunting this player down have been working out.
1. He only plays in Open when he is in his "killer ship" inu the system he is doing his hunting on....
2. When he moves to and from there, he plays in solo.
3. When he farms mats for Engineering, etc, he does so in solo.

See any trend on how easy it is to track this dude downfor a kill? And I have an ACTIVE TRACKER (being on his friends list) on the , and he once flew right through the system I was in in my capåable COMBAT ship! I was in open, he was in solo... So please explain how would your suggestion make this any easier? the only chance I have is to take him on in his is combat ship. I have spotted him a few times, and everytime he saw me in any of my combat ships, he switched to solo...

So please tell me how your suggestion would make this any easier/better, without any exploitable loopholes.

I like to have something to get even with a playerkiller within my role I'm playing. As a trader I won't go to do combat especially not with persons who don't do something else.
At the moment it is only frustrating. There is no real punishment system you can use yourself against such players. Punishment doesn't necessarily mean that the person has to be killed, but this person has to live/play with the consequences of being unlawful. And to lessen frustration level the trader should be given a tool in the hand to do something without just walking away (walking away doesn't help, when you are frustrated). It should be possible to hassle this person also in some way without going to developing a combat character and take the matter in your own hand.
I think it will also lessen ganking if they were to be hassled themselves if they kill someone for their own fun and to take pleasure from the misery of other real people.

It should always be balanced between different groups. I think a bounty system you can use yourself could help. As all the comments show it is quite unreasonable to use other players, but you could program a NPC system which you could use.

Another possibility to make it fair. The NPC which is hunting you will always jump away before the bounty holder can really destroy the ship (no benefits) and as a bounty giver, you can buy how many attempts you would like to have. E.g. 10 attempts to destroy the playerkiller with every time a little stronger NPC. That will definitely hassle the person, even if he doesn't get killed and in the meantime he cannot kill another person. The playerkiller has to pay a certain price. Like in real life you are not going around and kill people randomly because there is a price to be paid most people are unwilling to pay. If you still want to kill people, you have to live with the consequences.
And by the way, interception should always work and you cannot jump away :X

There's already punishment in this game. You kill someone illegally and get notoriety plus a bounty. Those bounties go up dramatically as your notoriety increases.

I think part of the issue here is that you want to hurt the killers. Good luck with that, because you know what the issue is?

They're professionals.

Better to focus on yourself and what you can do to prevent ship destruction. And besides, if that happens, you've got so much money it hardly matters anyway.

Sorry, I wasn't clear earlier - I meant, do you have any first-hand experience of being on the other side of the law, as one who experiences the consequences of breaking it?

Going from the assumptions you are making, I don't think you do.

I would love to eat all the cake and stay a size 12. Sometimes, we must make decisions whether we want one or the other. The design of Elite allows for multiple options, but playing in Open whilst being immune to hostile interactions is not one of them.

I used to play on the other side of the law; nothing was more frustrating to me than a trader who knew exactly how to get away from me, quickly and with minimal damage to themselves. Of course, I gave them a grudging respect for taking the time to learn evasive maneuvers, to fit their ship appropriately and keep it calm throughout - that does take some effort!

Is this a "fix this or I'll quit!" whine? That's what it looks like, tbh.

I'm beginning to think the OP just wants killers to get as salty as he does.

The problem here is, how do you find the person? If he is dumb enough to linger around every time at the same place OK. But even when you do it like that and he lingers around, it is quite a hassle to do this... an ingame option would be nice. At least some kind of tracking option would be needed.

At the moment I would go with this solution because I cannot see an exploit yet:
  • you can hire NPCs with a really advanced AI (but still killable - maybe Thargoid mothership level?) who will hunt the playerkiller (of course for an unreasonable high price and only at maximum 7 days after he killed you)
  • there will always be as many NPCs as there are wingmans or even other persons who are helping
  • you can buy how many attempts NPCs will take to kill the person (at max 10 times)
  • the NPC will jump out of the system before he gets killed so the playerkiller will not profit (maybe a special class of ship)
  • the NPC is only trying to kill the playerkiller when they fly an expansive ship (maybe the same ship or ship class you were killed in)
  • insurance costs will increase with every player you killed (maybe until 80% of the ship costs), because every insurance will take more money if it is more likely that you will be killed
  • the bounty will only be valid for a month
  • the bounty money is only refundable if no attempt of killing the person was done (maybe a step systems with the failed attempts)
  • there should be a surrender possibility for non combat players so piracy is still OK, where you are only loosing your cargo
  • and just for fun a sure kill option for 500 million would also be nice, where you send an army to kill a fly (yes when you have too much money you can technically buy everything you want)

How do you find them? Have a long memory. I've spent upwards of a year waiting for revenge on someone.

Plenty of other times it never happened for countless reasons. It's not worth spending so much energy on.

I would really love if people would read all the posts...

First I don't want to hunt these people down myself, I like another gameplay. The only solution I have at the moment is blocking the player after I got killed. And what I'm searching for is an in game solution.

Second, as I mentioned before it is a total other experience to shoot an NPC or get shot down from NPCs. I get it, these people get a thrill out of it, mostly unfortunately when they are in an extreme superior position. It is OK, but I think there should be a possibility of an active consequence the killed player can choose (other than wasting lots of time).

Third I have nothing against it if other people want to be playerkillers. But to be honest, there are not really consequence. The "bounty" you are getting is nothing and you can pay it quite easy yourself. If these people don't want to shoot only NPCs or equal opponents ( I like the idea of inviting in a dueling zone), there should be a possibility for the other player to do something and not only except it as bad luck. As I told before, it is something else to be shot down from a real player. It is not getting them as salty. It is lessen the "salty" option for the weaker position. For the playerkiller it can get even more interesting if there are way more consequences (looking and choosing targets e.g. will be way more challenging). The only people who are loosing are the ones who want it easy and save to kill others.

Switching between solo and open only with the right gear is quite, how do I tell this politely, an anxiety issue.

I would really love if people would read all the posts...

First I don't want to hunt these people down myself, I like another gameplay. The only solution I have at the moment is blocking the player after I got killed. And what I'm searching for is an in game solution.

Second, as I mentioned before it is a total other experience to shoot an NPC or get shot down from NPCs. I get it, these people get a thrill out of it, mostly unfortunately when they are in an extreme superior position. It is OK, but I think there should be a possibility of an active consequence the killed player can choose (other than wasting lots of time).

Third I have nothing against it if other people want to be playerkillers. But to be honest, there are not really consequence. The "bounty" you are getting is nothing and you can pay it quite easy yourself. If these people don't want to shoot only NPCs or equal opponents ( I like the idea of inviting in a dueling zone), there should be a possibility for the other player to do something and not only except it as bad luck. As I told before, it is something else to be shot down from a real player. It is not getting them as salty. It is lessen the "salty" option for the weaker position. For the playerkiller it can get even more interesting if there are way more consequences (looking and choosing targets e.g. will be way more challenging). The only people who are loosing are the ones who want it easy and save to kill others.

Switching between solo and open only with the right gear is quite, how do I tell this politely, an anxiety issue.

As someone who has done his share of player killing in the past it's pretty obvious you've never engaged in it yourself.

Get our there and give it a try. Shoot down some folks. Find out for yourself how the current consequences work and then decide if there should be more or not.

I mean, earlier in the thread weren't you wishing your half a billion bounty would bankrupt the player killer and make them lose their ship? That's really insanely overbearing but you wouldn't know that because you've not been on the other side.

As someone who has done his share of player killing in the past it's pretty obvious you've never engaged in it yourself.

Get our there and give it a try. Shoot down some folks. Find out for yourself how the current consequences work and then decide if there should be more or not.

I mean, earlier in the thread weren't you wishing your half a billion bounty would bankrupt the player killer and make them lose their ship? That's really insanely overbearing but you wouldn't know that because you've not been on the other side.

Please enlighten me, what can I actively do without trying to be a combat pilot or blocking this person (an in game solution please)? I just want an active solution without going out of my character.
I hate to shoot at real players and I won't do it. An advice like go kill these people yourself doesn't help at all or to tell me I should shoot down other players. It is my choice that I don't like this and won't do it. When I look at the top 5 bounties in the sectors I'm traveling... it is ridiculous low. Mostly something like 8 million at most... pocket change.
Yes 500 million would be a little bit over board. But take 60 million to get an NPC which is as strong as a Thargoid Interceptor with 3 killing attempts... not impossible to kill but really challenging, yes there should also be a run option but with a really slow loading FSA.

For the one who is hiring it is quite expensive and the playerkiller gets some interesting fights where he is the weaker person. I can even imagine that some people will kill other people only to get those strong NPCs at their tails.

Please enlighten me, what can I actively do without trying to be a combat pilot or blocking this person (an in game solution please)? I just want an active solution without going out of my character.
I hate to shoot at real players and I won't do it. An advice like go kill these people yourself doesn't help at all or to tell me I should shoot down other players. It is my choice that I don't like this and won't do it. When I look at the top 5 bounties in the sectors I'm traveling... it is ridiculous low. Mostly something like 8 million at most... pocket change.
Yes 500 million would be a little bit over board. But take 60 million to get an NPC which is as strong as a Thargoid Interceptor with 3 killing attempts... not impossible to kill but really challenging, yes there should also be a run option but with a really slow loading FSA.

For the one who is hiring it is quite expensive and the playerkiller gets some interesting fights where he is the weaker person. I can even imagine that some people will kill other people only to get those strong NPCs at their tails.

Shooting at players would give you insight into the current game climate and the crime and punishment system. Right now you're on the outside looking in and I can see some glaring misconceptions already.

Let's take your Top Five Bounties comment. What sectors are you running in? There's a pilot in the Colonia area right now who is up over 800 million credits in bounties. His ship dies I'm pretty sure he loses it. Check out Deciat or Shinrarta Dehza. You very well may see some eye watering amounts. One infamous PvPer had his Anaconda taken out with over 300 million in bounties and had to sell ships to rebuy it. Biggest score my wing ever had was 100 million credits for a prodigious seal clubber. Now keep in mind, the 100 million credits we were rewarded was 2 million credits per jurisdiction they were wanted in. There's a very real chance they lost their ship considering what they had to pay at the detention center.

There are "good guy" groups out there with significantly larger paydays than that. Biggest I've ever heard of was 250 million credits. Again, that's a maximum of 2 million credits per jurisdiction so the criminal took a pretty big hit.

So you see there are consequences out there, yes?

Regarding what you can do as a player in game it's been said over and over and over again: learn to fly your ship and outfit it well. You'll become nigh un-gankable. Beyond that, you said you're a trader with tons of cash right? Well, if you run into trouble rebuy is what you're spending your cash on. That's what it's for, after all!

Finally, it's OK to attack players. It's part of the game. Everyone should try it at some point if they wish to be a well rounded Elite: Dangerous player.

Last edited:
i like the idea of CMDR-Bounty, here some changes/suggestions/ideas from me.
how about: a CMDR "A" set a 500mil bounty to a CMDR "B", the 500mil will be transfered immediately from "A" to a NPC Bank, and a group of NPC Hunters go hunting for "B". if a CMDR "C" kill the "B", he only get some points for Combat-Rank and credits ONLY from ship-value (just as usual)! if "B" want to reset he's bounty, he must pay this 500mil bounty to interstellar bounty contract or get killing so many times until he's lost ship-value payed all the bounty.

what are the benefits:
  • CMDRs can set bounties to another CMDRs
  • no chance to exploit this system, because money will only transfering to NPC and nobody else!
  • the game become more exit cash flow, money inflation is stabilized, CMDRs no longer hoard huge sums of money

cons:
- Some rich CMDR can annoy other CMDR for a long time with the bounty

Regarding what you can do as a player in game it's been said over and over and over again: learn to fly your ship and outfit it well. You'll become nigh un-gankable. Beyond that, you said you're a trader with tons of cash right? Well, if you run into trouble rebuy is what you're spending your cash on. That's what it's for, after all!

Finally, it's OK to attack players. It's part of the game. Everyone should try it at some point if they wish to be a well rounded Elite: Dangerous player.

Oh I cannot hear it anymore... learn to fly bla bla bla... it is not for anybody to educate the people by shooting them down. By the way you can still die even if you are the best prepared player who knows the tricks how to jump out of the system... there only need to be your kids around doing things they shouldn't do where you have to intervene immediately. You come back and you are dead. You were a sitting duck but got killed by a player none the less. That I can tell you is frustrating. I can really not understand why people are doing that. And here to get frustration level down, I want to bring up the bounty in one go if I can afford it. And that has nothing to do with being salty. You are human players who can make decision and it was a conscious decision to just destroy without seeing any reaction of fleeing. When you come back you are just frustrated. And when you get a kick from those kind of kills, you are mentally not in your right mind and should get professional help.

And seal clubbing... really? Especially in this cases it would be important to have something to actively do (no not learn flying and get better components) so frustration levels of newbies is not exploding. We all will lose when the newbies don't come back.

ITT: 'I want to implement player bounties because I'm upset'
'No, don't do that, it's dumb for these reasons'
'Impossible, I am infallible because I am on the side of justice'
[several pages pass]
'[the same argument]'
'[the same argument]'

I could post this in... a lot of places, but tbh I'm pretty sure I could write a program to create and reply to ED suggestion threads at this point

Why not on death have an option like Facebook ads where for a set amount of cash each day (or tiers of NPCs- lots of cash = totally crazy G5 Elite FdL / Corvette wings) you can make the guys life who shot you down (since you can't die) a living hell / more fun? 50 mil a day gets you hunted like the spoon level crim you are with real nutter NPC wings.

ITT: 'I want to implement player bounties because I'm upset'
'No, don't do that, it's dumb for these reasons'
'Impossible, I am infallible because I am on the side of justice'
[several pages pass]
'[the same argument]'
'[the same argument]'

I could post this in... a lot of places, but tbh I'm pretty sure I could write a program to create and reply to ED suggestion threads at this point

learn to fly, bla bla bla
by the correct components, bla bla bla
don't wine all the time, bla bla bla

It is always easy to judge on the "other" side. It is even easy if you just don't care. That doesn't mean that such a solution is bad. Why are there so many complaning, when this is not an issue?

I think we should be allowed to personally kneecap gankers, because they are subhumans who do not have rights and kill babies in real life.

learn to fly, bla bla bla
by the correct components, bla bla bla
don't wine all the time, bla bla bla

This is what I meant by 'the same arguments'.

People just don't know when to stop arguing a dead point with people who won't listen.

Mates, you are deviating from the purpose of the post. It's not about being good at PvP, or being upset because of ganker attacks.
The purpose of this post is to submit the idea of a Player on player Bounty, that can be fullfilled by either other players or even NPCs.

Mates, you are deviating from the purpose of the post. It's not about being good at PvP, or being upset because of ganker attacks.
The purpose of this post is to submit the idea of a Player on player Bounty, that can be fullfilled by either other players or even NPCs.

Too easily exploitable, which is realistic but would cause outrage amongst most of the community for credit transfers.

Oh I cannot hear it anymore... learn to fly bla bla bla... it is not for anybody to educate the people by shooting them down. By the way you can still die even if you are the best prepared player who knows the tricks how to jump out of the system... there only need to be your kids around doing things they shouldn't do where you have to intervene immediately. You come back and you are dead. You were a sitting duck but got killed by a player none the less. That I can tell you is frustrating. I can really not understand why people are doing that. And here to get frustration level down, I want to bring up the bounty in one go if I can afford it. And that has nothing to do with being salty. You are human players who can make decision and it was a conscious decision to just destroy without seeing any reaction of fleeing. When you come back you are just frustrated. And when you get a kick from those kind of kills, you are mentally not in your right mind and should get professional help.

And seal clubbing... really? Especially in this cases it would be important to have something to actively do (no not learn flying and get better components) so frustration levels of newbies is not exploding. We all will lose when the newbies don't come back.

I'm amazed this is your response to my post. Never mind that I was in no way encouraging seal clubbing, though killing any Commander for any reason or none is absolutely OK with Frontier.

Look pal, nobody cares if your kids get in your way and make you explode in a video game. In fact, maybe you should get them in on it? Great way to spend time with anyone. Might be good for you!

I'm kindly pointing out the OP's ignorance and how learning may help inform his future views.

Top Bottom