Putting bounty on real player who have killed you

Most time it is possible to flee, but sometimes when you fly quite long distances and you have to go to the door because somebody is there and you come back and you are dead, it can be frustrating. Yes I could quit the game but be honest if you have to fly 400k lightyears, would you go offline or would you just put in supercruise?

Lol that's priceless. Going AFK and complaining about losing. Even NPCs can kill an AFK trader.

I understand getting annoyed when people's only response to 'how do I avoid being exploded' is 'git gud', or 'learn to fly' (without any further tips). I can understand wanting to retaliate in some way without needing to become some sort of combat expert - there's obviously a reason you're not a combat player.

What I don't understand is getting angry when people give actual helpful advice. This is - to take things to extremes - like someone who refuses to install locks on their house doors demanding heightened penalties for burglary, then loudly protesting when people around them suggest perhaps installing locks on their doors and not leaving all their valuables out in the open.
Yes, burglary is wrong, but a) giving burglars the death penalty is hardly just (even by the standards of 'eye for an eye') and b) if you can avoid being a victim of it, why not take the steps suggested? In ED, you don't even have to spend real money to do it.

I'm kindly pointing out the OP's ignorance and how learning may help inform his future views.

The problem is I had a suggestion and many say this (not only in this post):
  • learn to fly
  • don't wine around

Sorry when I misinterpreted some thoughts but English is not my mother tongue.

I would prefer a solution and a discussion of this topic. The arguments which tell about exploits are recognized. There came also some good solutions to this problem.

When you are against it at all, because you think it is fair enough already it is OK. But don't dismiss the concept idea at the whole because you don't have the problem. As I can see, there are quite a bunch of people who have this problem.

With kids there are ages where you don't put them in front of the computer and let them play elite. And honestly giving a stranger such a tip how to educate kids and implying not to spend enough time with them. That is quite... brave.

I would prefer a solution

Just google:

ryan_m guide to PvP

rinzler guide to trading

As noted bounties are nice in theory but would be exploited, and also Elite lacks mechanics for proper bounty hunting or really any way of finding CMDRs. Some resort to garbage tactics like tracking via friends list. So it's just impossible and not worth discussing until more fundamental PvP mechanics are implemented/fixed/improved.

• learn to fly
  • don't wine around

I would prefer a solution and a discussion of this topic. The arguments which tell about exploits are recognized. There came also some good solutions to this problem.

When you are against it at all, because you think it is fair enough already it is OK. But don't dismiss the concept idea at the whole because you don't have the problem. As I can see, there are quite a bunch of people who have this problem.

With kids there are ages where you don't put them in front of the computer and let them play elite. And honestly giving a stranger such a tip how to educate kids and implying not to spend enough time with them. That is quite... brave.

The only solution I can determine is making it more 'peer-to-peer'. Someone advertises their services as a bounty hunter, then you explicitly pay THEM the money to destroy the opponent (maybe with a deposit system to avoid scammers just taking your money and running). This avoids bias, as you could potentially hire any bounty hunter to take out any criminal, but it's still easily exploitable (friend 1 becomes a hunter, friend 2 is the one who gets a bounty put on him, friend 2 flies a sidewinder or something, friend 3 hires friend 1, friend 1 gets the money). It just adds an additional accomplice to credit-transfers, but at least takes out the possibility of 'friend 1 gets a bounty, gives the bounty money to friend 2, meaning that all the person giving the bounty did was give money to the gankers they dislike so much'.

TL;DR - there's a reason we let the government handle crime and punishment nowadays.

The only solution I can determine is making it more 'peer-to-peer'. Someone advertises their services as a bounty hunter, then you explicitly pay THEM the money to destroy the opponent (maybe with a deposit system to avoid scammers just taking your money and running). This avoids bias, as you could potentially hire any bounty hunter to take out any criminal, but it's still easily exploitable (friend 1 becomes a hunter, friend 2 is the one who gets a bounty put on him, friend 2 flies a sidewinder or something, friend 3 hires friend 1, friend 1 gets the money). It just adds an additional accomplice to credit-transfers, but at least takes out the possibility of 'friend 1 gets a bounty, gives the bounty money to friend 2, meaning that all the person giving the bounty did was give money to the gankers they dislike so much'.

TL;DR - there's a reason we let the government handle crime and punishment nowadays.

What is with the mentioned NPC solution?

By the way, you can also set reward in real life which manages to get the culprit. Or other example you can pay legally people to get your money from a person who didn't pay the bill (of course without violence). And there is the legal system where you can go to court (you need your own money) and can get what you want (when you win). Yes of course in real life there are also loopholes but technically if you have more money it is way more possible that you get what you want even in our democratic systems. Money rules the world even in real life.

• learn to fly
  • don't wine around

I'm not dismissing the concept I'm trying to illustrate what's already in the game. Did you read my comment about the Top Five Bounties and how many Commanders out there are facing consequences right now?

Heck, I've got about 60 million in bounties right now. Once my notoriety ticks down to zero I'm paying them off. Won't be the first time, won't be the last. Thing is I see those bounties as nothing more than the cost of doing business. Why would I want them increased to ridiculous levels? I couldn't do what I do.

If you had any experience as a criminal player I believe you'd understand my point. So go do it! It's fun.

You brought it up. My ultimate message is no one cares. My cat bought XBOX points once. I didn't jump on the Microsoft forums and cry about it.

It would be nice, if you could put a bounty with your in game money on other players who killed you. The amount would be of the players choosing. If I like to have this person killed for 500 million it should be possible.
While I do support the suggestion I can see how this can be exploited (even with bounty limits) and/or used to engage in indirect griefing.

As a result, I do think it would be a bad idea for FD to implement it unless it is actively heavily policed/moderated.

Last edited:
What is with the mentioned NPC solution?

By the way, you can also set reward in real life which manages to get the culprit. Or other example you can pay legally people to get your money from a person who didn't pay the bill (of course without violence). And there is the legal system where you can go to court (you need your own money) and can get what you want (when you win). Yes of course in real life there are also loopholes but technically if you have more money it is way more possible that you get what you want even in our democratic systems. Money rules the world even in real life.

Chris Cornell penned some amazing lyrics, which I believe apply to your situation:

Arm yourself because no one else here will save you

Basically, the only implementation I can see that wouldn't be abusable as cash transfer would be something like the following:

1 - player, for whatever reason, wants to put a contract on another player's head. Don't call it a "bounty", let's face it, it's a hit. A hit is what you are ordering. This is why you have to do it at a shady organisation like interstellar factors, medium and high security systems don't tend to look kindly upon people ordering hits, that is extrajudicial assassinations for money, on each other.
2 - They pony up whatever amount of cash. These credits immediately go into a pot assigned to the target player.
3 - if the target player is killed, the amount in the pot is reduced by that player's rebuy, and an equal amount is paid from the pot to the CMDR that killed them in the form of a mercenary bond redeemable at an IF. The destroyed player does not have to pay any extra on their rebuy, the contract pot is completely separate from fines and bounties.
4 - contracts are detectable on scan (KWS?) just like crimes are but do not make the target legal to kill. If you see someone with a juicy contract in a high-sec system, you're gonna have to decide whether the payout is worth being wanted for murder.
5 - (maybe?) notoriety does not increase for carrying out a contract, to keep things in line with missions of the same type.

Basically, the only implementation I can see that wouldn't be abusable as cash transfer would be something like the following:

1 - player, for whatever reason, wants to put a contract on another player's head. Don't call it a "bounty", let's face it, it's a hit. A hit is what you are ordering. This is why you have to do it at a shady organisation like interstellar factors, medium and high security systems don't tend to look kindly upon people ordering hits, that is extrajudicial assassinations for money, on each other.
2 - They pony up whatever amount of cash. These credits immediately go into a pot assigned to the target player.
3 - if the target player is killed, the amount in the pot is reduced by that player's rebuy, and an equal amount is paid from the pot to the CMDR that killed them in the form of a mercenary bond redeemable at an IF. The destroyed player does not have to pay any extra on their rebuy, the contract pot is completely separate from fines and bounties.
4 - contracts are detectable on scan (KWS?) just like crimes are but do not make the target legal to kill. If you see someone with a juicy contract in a high-sec system, you're gonna have to decide whether the payout is worth being wanted for murder.
5 - (maybe?) notoriety does not increase for carrying out a contract, to keep things in line with missions of the same type.

What about consequences for the person taking out the hit?

What about consequences for the person taking out the hit?
It'd be... interesting if a contract voucher could be tagged in some way if the assassin committed murder to collect it and the person placing the hit hadn't had the crime of murder placed against them by the target. Similar to the way carrying powerplay merits makes powerplay NPCs attack you, if you get scanned by security forces while carrying a "hot" contract voucher, the voucher is voided and both you and the person placing the contract get a "conspiracy to commit murder" bounty.

Probably abusable though.

What about putting bounties on good people because of some slight made in this forum or in-game?
Ultimately, this kind of thing is what I was referring to as "indirect griefing". GTA:Online has a player initiated (and funded) bounty mechanic and it also has the potential to be abused.

Whether we call it a bounty or a contract hit is moot - it is probably something that should not be implemented.

The crime and punishment mechanics should just be updated to deal with the less desirable in-game anti-social behaviours - If individuals think they are too harsh, then they can always turn off report crimes against me.

Could you have a reverse block feature that on destruction the victim switches on, and the servers match you as best they can to the evil baby eaters instance for a set amount of time to get that sweet revenge?

I think we had this suggestion a while back.
TF2 had a Nemisis mechanic

It's outside the factions/powerplay.

This is straight up Pilots Federation bounty.

I think the caveat was how do you handle PvP (disable the report crimes handshake)

I think we had this suggestion a while back.
TF2 had a Nemisis mechanic

It's outside the factions/powerplay.

This is straight up Pilots Federation bounty.

I think the caveat was how do you handle PvP (disable the report crimes handshake)
Assuming we are referring to a true Pilots Federation bounty (i.e. managed and policed by the C&P system and not the players), FD could add some kind of different symbol for pilots with report crimes disabled (toggling notionally only available while docked). At least that way you would have prior visibility of whether a Pilots Federation bounty is likely to be incurred.

Last edited:
Why not get angry, tool up and hulk out on the fools?

Its totally healthy to hate another commander and rip out his engines with your bare hands.

Top Bottom