Putting My Money Where My Mouth Is.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be investing in a new gaming rig when the new RyZen CPU's come out. Those new AMD CPU's only support Win 10 and Linux by design. I can't stand Win10 and feel Microsoft is committing an atrocious invasion of privacy on anyone who buys or uses that OS. I also think this will only get worse over time. So I'm not playing that game and I'll be getting a Linux OS on the new machine.

The game I want to play is Elite: Dangerous and I'd like to see a Linux launcher and client developed for it. During the original kickstarter for E: D, the stretch goal for a Mac client (Based on BSD UNIX) was £150,000 over the main goal of 1.25 million Pounds. This sounds reasonable to me and as the PS4 runs Orbis OS (a derivative of FreeBSD Linux) then I'd say we're already very close to having a Linux client that can support VR and all future expansions on a real gaming rig.

I'll even go further and if Frontier commits to either a Kickstarter (or internally funded project) to develop a Linux game client, I'll publicly vow to spend £500 toward that goal. I'd encourage them to embrace the Vulkan API as the core of this project as well.

Until I can play E: D on Linux, I'll be keeping my old Win 7 machine for just that. I'm hoping it will not be long before I can drop Windows completely.

If there is anyone else out there who would like to support this as well, please speak up. Cheers.

I can't stand Win10 and feel Microsoft is committing an atrocious invasion of privacy on anyone who buys or uses that OS. I also think this will only get worse over time.

Can't you just disable all the "spyware" that Windows 10 comes installed with?

I'm going to be investing in a new gaming rig when the new RyZen CPU's come out. Those new AMD CPU's only support Win 10 and Linux by design. I can't stand Win10 and feel Microsoft is committing an atrocious invasion of privacy on anyone who buys or uses that OS. I also think this will only get worse over time. So I'm not playing that game and I'll be getting a Linux OS on the new machine. .

This is still going on? windows 10 doesn't spy on you anymore then MacOS/iOS or android 'spies' on you, it needs certain information to do certain things, it needs full access to your calendar for instance if it is going to manipulate it via voice commands and such, the whole thing was insanely overblown, the only place they tracked excessively was in the early beta, and the insider versions, because, guess what, when you are developing a product you need as much feedback as possible, the people that used it for a daily driver was the ones that were wrong in this aspect.

Does this mean microsoft hasn't done questionable things, of course not, they have like many other big companies done questionable things, but specifically do windows 10? not really no. Their questionable actions have affected all platforms equally.
There is absolutely 0 reasons for microsoft to "spy" on their users, because that will only drive people away from their product, which has already happened, when people thought they were spying.

Can't you just disable all the "spyware" that Windows 10 comes installed with?

Yes, it's one program, set it and forget it. It roots everything out from the registry and will redo anything if something gets reset. Honestly I think the drama over Windows 10 is a bit overblown; Sure, if you're doing sensitive business then get something more secure but if you're a PC gamer there's nothing horrible that Windows 10 is doing that others aren't already to some extent.

Last edited:

Deleted member 38366

D
There is absolutely 0 reasons for microsoft to "spy" on their users, because that will only drive people away from their product, which has already happened, when people thought they were spying.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this has been going on (to a far smaller extent though) since Windows 95 ;)
There's a whole lot of reasons for Microsoft to do it (it's not like they have a choice), notably the NSA itself noted that Microsoft in form of Bill Gates was the 1st Tier1 company they contacted "about their requirements" (backdoors & managing access) to fully volunteer cooperation.

Microsoft is in "good company" with Apple & Google though (which all do the same), so the only "Privacy ready" OS would be a native Linux/Unix/BSD System these days.

I plan to upgrade to the AMD Ryzen myself one day, but should Windows 10 be required, it'll be a 100% pure game station (like a Console), holding zero private Data.
For that, I'll have to setup a dedicated Linux machine.

I can't stand Win10 and feel Microsoft is committing an atrocious invasion of privacy on anyone who buys or uses that OS.
Can you name your specific concerns? There is probably a way to disable anything you might be worried about.

I went through the 8 -> 8.1 -> 10 progression, and I'll admit there were a few teething pains. But Windows 10 as it is today is pretty well put together. The only items I manually change at this point are Cortana (I disable entirely, no need to search outside my local machine), and Windows Photo Viewer (Needs some configuration to restore Windows 7 functionality).

Also, if you're not aware, Microsoft has recently updated their policies to offer better options for those who wish to protect their privacy. Telemetry data has been reduced, and it's easier to defer updates as well.

I plan to upgrade to the AMD Ryzen myself one day, but should Windows 10 be required, it'll be a 100% pure game station (like a Console), holding zero private Data.
Windows 10 isn't required, it's just not officially supported. Intel's Kaby Lake processors are the same way, but you can still run older version of Windows on them if you'd like.

Tinfoil hat time?

I've been using Windows 10 since release.
On my PC and laptop.

When upgrading my laptop to windows 10, from 7, something went wrong and I ended up with a hardrive full of nothing. (My HDD was slowly dying).
Unable to fix it, and my laptop being about 500 years past its 30 second Acer warranty, I "borrowed" a copy Windows 10 off the interwebs, and installed it on my laptop when I got a new SSD. It's still receiving updates. Lol

If M$ are spying... They're not very good at it.

Folks - topic is Linux client. If you want to divert over to security then please post something in the tech forum and I'll join you there.

Folks - topic is Linux client. If you want to divert over to security then please post something in the tech forum and I'll join you there.

I thought the topic was putting money where your mouth is? You still haven't answered how it tastes. [sad]

Other than that, I'm not giving them money unless it's a cosmetic I feel I want or there is more content to buy. Thems the rules, sorry.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this has been going on (to a far smaller extent though) since Windows 95 ;)
There's a whole lot of reasons for Microsoft to do it (it's not like they have a choice), notably the NSA itself noted that Microsoft in form of Bill Gates was the 1st Tier1 company they contacted "about their requirements" (backdoors & managing access) to fully volunteer cooperation.

Microsoft is in "good company" with Apple & Google though (which all do the same), so the only "Privacy ready" OS would be a native Linux/Unix/BSD System these days.

Ok, to keep the topic on list, I'd love to hear what it is that is so bad that they have been 'leaking' that has privacy concerns that doesn't fall under usability, yes, they need certain telemetry to debug, so that's to be expected, but what specifically is it they log that is a problem? what programs you use? your location? passwords? what? Most of the things most 'apps' turn off, is things and features people have asked for, yes, those that don't want said features should turn them off, but its not 'spying' as much as it is a feature needing to do that thing.

well how you started it doesn't seem to indicate that.

That said Linux client would be great, but considering how few game on linux, right now it seems a waste of dev time, that said linux gaming crowd is growing (i'm one of them), my point was simply that there's been no solid proof of windows 10 actually doing anything nefarious, rather it is a feature doing something that certain people don't want it to, which is fine, disable that feature move on. Or that insider and other early versions log a whole lot more, because they are just that early versions where they need those logs to find problems. Again, not saying they are saints or anything and haven't done questionable things but they are definitely not malicious or any worse then a ton of other things people use gladly.

You know how these forums, and most others for that matter, work. Anything in an OP is apparently fair game, etc. The less extraneous info that enables people to go off on a tangent, the better.

And while I have no info that I really have any reason to protect from microsoft, I can appreciate that others just never feel quite right about any of it. With a sizeable enough install base, which is growing over time, I'd see no reason to say no to a request like this. I personally wouldn't contribute, due to my PC being dead atm. Still, I'd encourage anyone else who either really values privacy or prefers Linux to do so.

No amount of accusations that you're wearing a tin foil hat will change your mind, so everyone is just wasting their time. Have my verbal support in this matter instead. And some rep. It can't hurt to support Linux.

strange title!
as a win 10 insider.
yes it has some rubbish included in its programing, but in my opinion. it is the best most stable OS there has beed to date. i like it totaly.
i am currently running the next gen of win 10 and i have had no issues with it. many new toys are included. (too much to go into here) responce time (that a window opens has been decreased ) much faster than before!

my PC has not crashed in the time win 10 insider program was released ...... wait for the next gen and then you will disagree with yourself :)

Deleted member 38366

D
Ok, to keep the topic on list, I'd love to hear what it is that is so bad that they have been 'leaking' that has privacy concerns that doesn't fall under usability, yes, they need certain telemetry to debug, so that's to be expected, but what specifically is it they log that is a problem? what programs you use? your location? passwords? what? Most of the things most 'apps' turn off, is things and features people have asked for, yes, those that don't want said features should turn them off, but its not 'spying' as much as it is a feature needing to do that thing.

If you don't know by now, you never did any research on the matter nor follow the news. Hence, you were never interested for all I know.
I won't do it for you - but all information is freely accessible and easy to find. Since many years.

If you don't know by now, you never did any research on the matter nor follow the news. Hence, you were never interested for all I know.
I won't do it for you - but all information is freely accessible and easy to find. Since many years.

That really isn't answering the question I asked, what you are doing right there is just taking a jab at me, and telling me to do the research, but when I confronted you with my research you said it was wrong, so I'm asking you what you know and what they did wrong? yet this is how you answer? That is the lovely old defence in that "You are wrong, but I'm not going to inform you how I know you are wrong, I'm just going to tell you, you are wrong."

Last edited:

Ah, the old "Allow me to educate you by referring you to Google." If you're going to effectively say nothing, why bother?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom