PVP Content Update in 2019/Q1 2020?

Hey Guys,

i started ED a few weeks ago and i love it, so i push really hard to get my billions Ranks, Ships etc, so i can start PVP! But the last days i realised that there is no "real PVP Content". What i mean is no Ranks, Goals, Achivments, Titels and stuff. Me being an absolut PvP-Player, now iam not sure what to do or if i maybe quit the game for something like EVE.

So is there anykind of PVP related updates to come in the near future?

My advice:
  • Fly to Shinrarta Dezhra and ask people to fight you
  • Fly to Deciat and ask people to fight you
  • Fly to Wyrd and ask people to fight you
  • Fly to CG systems and ask people to fight you
  • Join the Galactic Combat Initiative (GCI) Discord (https://discord.gg/2khfM24) and ask for general advice ... and also ask people to fight you!
  • And last but not least: Join the Elite Community Combat Events (ECCE) Discord (https://discord.gg/BefnmE3) and (no! - do ask people to fight you) participate in the events

You'll notice I mention Combat Zones for meaningful PvP. After posting that thread, Frontier did indeed give us a CZ CG, but unfortunately it's a bug-infested mess.

Define PvP content, because if this is what you're after:
Ranks, Goals, Achivments, Titels and stuff
It shouldn't be too difficult to implement, I just can't even begin to imagine the "community" meltdown if the next update was what you describe.

On a serious note, there has been much attention in the past to PvP in the form of balance passes of modules and weapons, to cater for PvP.
Folks would argue that it is still a terrible show and they would probably be right.
I would argue that too much time was wasted on PvP balance passes you cannot balance (there always is a meta)

On a serious note, there has been much attention in the past to PvP in the form of balance passes of modules and weapons, to cater for PvP.
Folks would argue that it is still a terrible show and they would probably be right.
I would argue that too much time was wasted on PvP balance passes you cannot balance (there always is a meta)
META heavily depend on what controls u use, it's different for console controller, K+M, and Hotas, therefore it's impossible to have perfect balance, but i m sure that weapons balance should be based around pvp, just because of very low npc's difficulty level. Expanding CQC to allow use of players made ships and create rankings is unlikely to alienate much player base IMO, it's all about how many dev's are actually working on game now. With no content update i think that asking for those kind improvements now make sense.

@Carolus Maximus
there is also the roleplay of the pvp law enforcers of the galaxy. if you know the ATR Npcs we are kinda role playing the same.
you get all informations if you are interested on the official SPEAR website -> https://elitedangerous-spear.com/
there is also the discord invite to our community.

on my youtube channel (link in my signature) you can see what this roleplay looks alike.
o7 see you in the dark.

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

i started ED a few weeks ago and i love it, so i push really hard to get my billions Ranks, Ships etc, so i can start PVP! But the last days i realised that there is no "real PVP Content". What i mean is no Ranks, Goals, Achivments, Titels and stuff. Me being an absolut PvP-Player, now iam not sure what to do or if i maybe quit the game for something like EVE.

So is there anykind of PVP related updates to come in the near future?
Probably no updates.
If you are into ranking, try CQC, Arena... specifically Deathmatch. There are very few Commanders who achieve Elite status.

PvP in Elite Dangerous is about technical flying ability. As a fairly new player you may not know the depth and wonderful complexity of the flight model. For instance, have you flown and mastered Flight Assist off?

The PvP in Elite Dangerous is probably quite different than EVE.
o7

This is not exactly what iam talking about, i now that the is PVP is a few sectors, but iam searching for a "Reason" to do it and not just for the sake of it.
Infinite. Skill. Cap.

To be fair top level pvp is a very small community in Elite. If you're looking for a good lawful pvp squadron hit me up. The devs have shown little to zero love to pvpers over the years, fortunately, the dogfighting model is interesting and challenging enough to keep us all on the improvement train.

The devs have shown little to zero love to pvpers over the years, fortunately, the dogfighting model is interesting and challenging enough to keep us all on the improvement train.

Fdev: the company who built a decent PvP game seemingly by accident then refused to support or develop it properly. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it in the games industry... bizarre.

Spoiler: There won't be any PvP improvements ever unless it benefits PvE gameplay in some way and the PvP improvements are an unintended side-effect.

Last edited:

Arguendo

Volunteer Moderator
Fdev: the company who built a decent PvP game seemingly by accident then refused to support or develop it properly. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it in the games industry... bizarre.

Spoiler: There won't be any PvP improvements ever unless it benefits PvE gameplay in some way and the PvP improvements are an unintended side-effect.
All of the above is pretty much the truth. Just watch Braben in the two video snippets below, one before the launch of the game and one about two years in. It's pretty clear Elite was never meant to be a PvP game, Braben never wanted it to be, and there have been very few instances where they've tried to cater to it (Open Only PP proposal and some weapons balancing being the exceptions).

Braben on PvP before the release of the game

Braben on PvP in 2016 during an FDev livestream.

PvP in this game is pretty dull and while it is one of the best PvP gameplays I have seen in PvP games, the actual implementation is lame. There is no reason to do it and it's the most expensive and challenging career. On top of that, the netcode doesn't allow for proper PvP as it doesn't fulfill the minimum requiernments in regards to stability and performence. High pings and frequent crashes as well as rubberbanding and most importantly deinstancing issues plague the every day life of a PvP player.

FDev also has not announced any plans to develope meaningful PvP gameplay and a good margin of the PvP community doubts that FDev understands their own game enough in order to do so.

Before you even start I'd highly suggest to abort and do a 180° turn to EVE if it is PvP you are looking for.

PvP in this game is pretty dull and while it is one of the best PvP gameplays I have seen in PvP games, the actual implementation is lame. There is no reason to do it and it's the most expensive and challenging career. On top of that, the netcode doesn't allow for proper PvP as it doesn't fulfill the minimum requiernments in regards to stability and performence. High pings and frequent crashes as well as rubberbanding and most importantly deinstancing issues plague the every day life of a PvP player.

FDev also has not announced any plans to develope meaningful PvP gameplay and a good margin of the PvP community doubts that FDev understands their own game enough in order to do so.

Before you even start I'd highly suggest to abort and do a 180° turn to EVE if it is PvP you are looking for.
PvP may be dull for higher tier players, and I am sorry for that. However, believe it or not, new PvP players do come to fruition in Elite Dangerous, perhaps not as often as I'd like. Just because the PvP mechanic has remained somewhat static does not mean that the wonderful combat flight model is not being appreciated. The flight mechanics of Star Citizen and Eve do not compare.

I very much sympathize with those that are tired of metas and weary of FDLs. However, there is one asset of Elite Dangerous PvP that is terribly underrated and ignored. And that is the players themselves. I have met very very few PvP pilots that I do not like and certainly none that I cannot work with. In fact, I find most to be very impressive and delightful human beings. Yes, even the unlawfuls. heh

If all of we PvPers can miraculously find a way to work together, I think we can create content in spite of the lack of development. We don't have much choice anyway.

If any of you have any viable suggestions, I would happily volunteer to help you.

o7

Deleted member 192138

D
The closest you can get to purposeful PvP is running BGS, power play and/or community goal activities specifically towards PvP roleplay purposes. But be aware that very often players you come across in open will often be shocked and surprised that another player opposes what they're doing, cry foul and drop into private group or solo to achieve their goals regardless. Or they'll label you a ganker or griefer. It's not very often that players supporting factions that are PvP focused both meet in the same conflict, so it's not stable consistent gameplay to look for that way. Often, larger groups that have a PvP contingent will still weight the bulk of their activity towards PvE and may be prone to disappearing from open when things get tough. Which sort of defeats the point.

A lot of the outlaw playstyle PvPers aren't big on sustained roleplay (outside of "shooting space ships is fun"), though ECCE (in Fett's first reply) has hosted a couple of large open events with background story behind them. Lawful playstyle PvPers are big on the hunting outlaws/protecting the defenceless if that's sufficient logic for you to want to participate.

PvP in this game is pretty dull and while it is one of the best PvP gameplays I have seen in PvP games.

That sums it up pretty well. The game was obviously designed with pvp encounters being rare. I don't think FDEV ever realized how the player base would organize it self around the powers and PMF. Seemingly everything is designed with the lonesome traveler in mind. the fact that it took them four years to implement squadrons solidifies my beliefs regarding that.

Arguendo

Volunteer Moderator
That sums it up pretty well. The game was obviously designed with pvp encounters being rare. I don't think FDEV ever realized how the player base would organize it self around the powers and PMF. Seemingly everything is designed with the lonesome traveler in mind. the fact that it took them four years to implement squadrons solidifies my beliefs regarding that.
The game is a modern version of the original Elite series and Braben's vision of what that would look like with today's technology. The originals were all single player games way before the internet, which is why it's a multiplayer game that feels and acts like a single player game.
The flight mechanics make it great for PvP, but the game itself doesn't lend itself to it. That's probably also why there's such a disparity in the player base. On one side you have "Ooh I can interact with the entire universe...wait...other players?" and on the other you have "CoD in Space!" :)

ED was never a dedicated PvP game. It was supposed to be about making friends which in the right place and time worked out pretty well. As for serious hardcore PvP look elsewhere Dedicated hardcore PvPers looking for their next challenge just don't get what ED was all about. Then again some do but still try to change the game as they would like. Good luck with that.

Last edited:
There is another playstyle though. One can explore the limits of the flight model whilst spending most of one's time in a non PvP environment. Although I do enjoy playing with others, the solitude and silence of space is blissful, too. And what I enjoy most is refining my piloting skills and situational awareness alone in a challenging, obstacle ridden area. I still need to fly against human pilots much better than myself in order to learn what the possibilitie are and to also avoid complacency. But the annihilation of an opponent is very much secondary to flying beautifully and efficiently. To me it's about soaring and beautiful arcs.

Top Bottom