PvP PvP Corvette vs. Gankers build advice

I noticed this thread and I'd like to know if this is still a viable build, or if I should tweak anything that the OP originally posted.

I'd like to build a decent Corvette that has a chance vs. gankers.
Looking for opinions from experienced PvP combat players.

1st the Weps:
2x 4C PAs - Thinking of going with G5 Overcharged here but Rapid fire looks interesting. 1 target lockbreaker, 1 Phasing Sequence
1x 3C Multicannon Fixed G5 Overcharged, autoload
2x 2C Multicannon Fixed G5 Overcharged, 1 corrosive, 1 autoload
2x 1C rails G5 Short range with feedback cascade. Is shortrange the way to go here? I don't fire these from far away normally anyway. may as well have the big damage increase?

Shields+Utility
7A Prismatic G5 Reinforced with Fast Charge
0A Shield Booster G5 Resistance Augmented, Super Capacitors
0A Shield Booster G5 Resistance Augmented, Super Capacitors
0A Shield Booster G5 Heavy Duty, Super Capacitors
0A Shield Booster G5 Heavy Duty, Super Capacitors
0I Point Defense Top
0I Point Defense Bottom
0I Heat Sink Launcher or more boosters?
0I Heat Sink Launcher

Armor - Lightweight Alloy G5 Heavyduty, deep plating. Is it worth it to go Military here in spite of the weight?
8A Power Plant G5 Armored, Monstered
7A Thrusters G5 Dirty Drive, Drag Drives
6A Frame Shift Drive G5 Increased Range
5D Life Support G3 Lightweight
8A Power Distributor G5 High charge capacity, Flow Control
8D Sensors G5 Lightweight
5C Fuel Tank

7A Shield Cell Bank
7A Shield Cell Bank
6D Fighter Hangar - Is this useful in PvP or a wasted slot?
6 6A Frame Shift Drive Interdictor
5D Hull Reinforcement Package G5 Heavy Duty, Deep Plating
5D Hull Reinforcement Package G5 Heavy Duty, Deep Plating
5Restricted 5D Hull Reinforcement Package G5 Heavy Duty, Deep Plating
5Restricted 5D Hull Reinforcement Package G5 Heavy Duty, Deep Plating
4D Module Reinforcement Package
4D Module Reinforcement Package
3D Module Reinforcement Package

I underlined my primary questions but any comments appreciated.
I fly FA off but am not an expert PvP combat pilot either. I have faired ok in my FDL in PvP. I've not had many encounters in my Corvette yet. I won a couple 1v1 but lost to a wing of 4. I'm not expecting to defeat wings of 4 experienced players but would like to do some damage at least.
I use hot key macros for PIPs so my PIP control is very quickly changed in combat.
Also what are your firegroups?

In the grand scheme of things quite a lot.

If you want to fight wings in a ship like that you're gonna need a reliable way of putting out damage because most PvP orientated vessels will be running TLB/Dispersal resulting in most projectile weapons you could equip being rendered useless.

Hitscan completely circumvents this and on a larger ship is probably the most effective way of keeping out DPS when under fire from multiple ships.

Also railguns are fun.

I noticed this thread and I'd like to know if this is still a viable build, or if I should tweak anything that the OP originally posted.
Three different firegroups with different shot speeds are bad.
Two point defense are useless, and 2 heat sink launchers are one two much. Add moar boosters.
Lightweight sensors are ok, for combat ships I tend to long range 3-5 them.
6A FSD interdictor is useless, use a small one.
Instead of 3 MRPs I'd use one AFMU if I had the power. Use one big and one small MRP.
If you really want survivability use a shielded double braced FSD. Mine has only 12 ly range but I bet my FSD isn't sniped instantly.
Fast charge on the prismatic is useless, either use high cap or low draw, depending on your power left.
Rapid charge for both banks.

Please explain why.
The above build uses PAs with 850 m/s shot speed on FG1. The reticule is at a certain point of the HUD T_____(1)
The fixed Multis have a shot speed of 1600 m/s on FG2. The reticule is at another point of the HUD T_____(1)_ __(2)
You always have to switch from reticule 1 to reticule 2 to hit. This lowers accuracy, especially if you consider the spin-up time of multis.
FG3 are the rails, which are hitscan, so another different target point. You use the rails to cancel banks primarily, so when your enemy
banks, you have 3 seconds to notice it, switch to FG3, swap from reticule 1 or 2 to the hitscan target and shoot with the rail spin-up, to cancel the banks.
I bet you 5 bucks you won't do it in time.

The above build uses PAs with 850 m/s shot speed on FG1. The reticule is at a certain point of the HUD T_____(1)
The fixed Multis have a shot speed of 1600 m/s on FG2. The reticule is at another point of the HUD T_____(1)_ __(2)
You always have to switch from reticule 1 to reticule 2 to hit. This lowers accuracy, especially if you consider the spin-up time of multis.
FG3 are the rails, which are hitscan, so another different target point. You use the rails to cancel banks primarily, so when your enemy
banks, you have 3 seconds to notice it, switch to FG3, swap from reticule 1 or 2 to the hitscan target and shoot with the rail spin-up, to cancel the banks.

I have PH missiles as 3rd FG in my Cutter with beams and frag cannons for the 1st and 2nd FGs. As I wait for PHs to reload, I switch to the other FGs to continue firing and vice versa.

I agree with Bigmaec.
The prime quality of the corvette is it's ability to manouver and to dish out damage. By distributing all that damage to weapons which can't fire simultaneously you are gimping your damage output needlessly. Also the efficient PAs are relatively rubbish on the Corvette, especially when trying to fight wings, as those will usually consist of quickly moving mediums.You can try focused PAs, but I found a pair of efficient and overcharged beams far more effective, short range blaster g3 rails in the smalls (you will be fighting melee more often than range) and whatever floats your boat in the other hardpoints. A turret with corrosive and another with emissive is good, the large harpoint is perfect for seekers or a longrange PA with dispersal field when fighting other big ships. (With this loadout prismatics won't work with an armored pp)

I agree with Bigmaec.
The prime quality of the corvette is it's ability to manouver and to dish out damage. By distributing all that damage to weapons which can't fire simultaneously you are gimping your damage output needlessly. Also the efficient PAs are relatively rubbish on the Corvette, especially when trying to fight wings, as those will usually consist of quickly moving mediums.You can try focused PAs, but I found a pair of efficient and overcharged beams far more effective, short range blaster g3 rails in the smalls (you will be fighting melee more often than range) and whatever floats your boat in the other hardpoints. A turret with corrosive and another with emissive is good, the large harpoint is perfect for seekers or a longrange PA with dispersal field when fighting other big ships. (With this loadout prismatics won't work with an armored pp)
My layout of choice is two huge fixed overcharged autoloader multis on trigger 1 with a speedmatched focused dispersal APA.
On trigger 2 I have two turrets, one long range emissive pulse to keep active regen down, one high cap corrosive multi, and
two longrange feedback rails in the smalls. Tab the trigger to get the turrets firing, or hold to fire the rails.
Some vids in my thread in PvP subforum. Works quite good for me.

I have mine set to PAs on 1, multis on 2. Finally the rails are their own firegroup next to my primary firegroup. So that means the following:

FG 'A'
PA on 1
multis on 2

FG 'B'
rails by themselves, or have one one 1 and the second on 2 if for some reason you want to alternate fire(I need to try this out actually..sounds like it just might work)

The point is not the firegroup, it's that in a PvP situation against multiple fast targets, you'll want a loadout that can focus as much firepower into the smallest time on target as possible. The very different velocities of PAs and MCs won't allow that and a weakened Corvette isn't one that fights a wing.

The point is not the firegroup, it's that in a PvP situation against multiple fast targets, you'll want a loadout that can focus as much firepower into the smallest time on target as possible. The very different velocities of PAs and MCs won't allow that and a weakened Corvette isn't one that fights a wing.
I personally think the corvette's best strength is in a wing of medium or smaller ships with it, the corvette being the "flagship" of the wing

I'd disagree, but that wasn't the point of the thread. Especially since the whole point was that the corvette can (given optimal performance and a good pilot) fight a group of ships without needing additional protection. And the loadout is a central part of that optimal performance.

I'd disagree, but that wasn't the point of the thread. Especially since the whole point was that the corvette can (given optimal performance and a good pilot) fight a group of ships without needing additional protection. And the loadout is a central part of that optimal performance.
unless it's any FDL worth its weight. perma boost kiting out of my maneuverability is a pain in my derriere, even with a fighter(those things are a minor pest at best against anybody who is a good pilot in such a ship.)

Quite honestly, if you're running a Corvette and want to "stand a chance against gankers" the best thing you can do is stack shields and run. The Corvette can easily do that for you. If you get pulled by a wing, it's because they know how to take you down. And their ships don't even have to be strong. Three vultures could easily bully a Corvette to death, I've seen it happen with 2. So If the meta gang show up it's not looking good.

1v1s though, that's easier. The Corvette could even run gimbaled weapons in that scenario because you're going to outlast their chaffs and ammo long before they get you down. Because lol shields, even if they cascade your SCBs. But even then it'll be a long and annoying fight.

Source,

Hitscan on a corvette is okay, as long as you do so on the huge and small hardpoints. The two mediums have terrible convergence and are best used maybe for "utility" weapons. The large on the underside of the Corvette has bad convergence with the two huge on top so thats maybe another utility weapon. Personally, I put missles or a turret on it. Yes turrets are bad but small damage is better than no damage because the bloody thing is never on target.

That video is a good example why prismatics on the corvette are too power hungry in my opinion. If you can't armor that very exposed PP and FSD and don't use module protection and ideally an AFMU, you're toast if you wait till shield collapse. I'd rather loose 500mj and install a 7A shield, while still being able to build a hull tank underneath (even if it's just for running).

Last edited:
Top Bottom