PWS Scanner - Does it really work?

Hi all

So I have tried the PWS to find decent rocks with cores and after prospecting 110 roids that glowed bright yellow I only found 1 with a core.

Is there a way to identify what may or may not have a core without wasting a limpet?

I was in a hotspot that I had previously scanned.

Seems like the PWS is just a toy or am I doing it wrong?

Thanks

Last edited:

Deleted member 115407

D
Yes

1) Ping. Look for very bright rocks.
2) Fly to bright rock, continue pinging as you get close.
3) If rock is poo, it will either just be bright yellow, or will dim significantly. Move on.
4) If rock glows heavily with deep red/black/green/orange accents and the like you have found a core.
5) Prospect
6) Bad Core? Move on.
7) Good Core? Mine.

Rinse, repeat.

I can't tell if you're a dude or a chick. But whatever you are... I like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
it takes some getting used to, but yes.
there's bright, then there's oh-yes-that's-definitely-a-core bright.
only use limpets on the really bright ones when core hunting.

Yes

1) Ping. Look for very bright rocks.
2) Fly to bright rock, continue pinging as you get close.
3) If rock is poo, it will either just be bright yellow, or will dim significantly. Move on.
4) If rock glows heavily with deep red/black/green/orange accents and the like you have found a core.
5) Prospect
6) Bad Core? Move on.
7) Good Core? Mine.

Rinse, repeat.

I can't tell if you're a dude or a chick. But whatever you are... I like it.

Thanks, I am a dude but that is my Eve Online character and is a chick :)

Deleted member 115407

D
Thanks, I am a dude but that is my Eve Online character and is a chick :)

Now that you know how to zero in, you'll waste far less prospectors, so don't be afraid to prospect those bright glowers.

Also, make note of the physical shape of the asteroid, as each ring type has one core minable model. Ice models are the most recognizable.

Also when you get close you can physically see the fissures (it helps if you turn on night vision)

it takes some getting used to, but yes.
there's bright, then there's oh-yes-that's-definitely-a-core bright.
only use limpets on the really bright ones when core hunting.

I hate to be that guy, but.....

Today I found many really bright ones which I was sure were cores, but when I launched the prospector they weren't.

Before today I reckon I was right 2 out of 3 times, but today I reckon it's 1 in 5 if I'm lucky. Not sure if they've tweaked the pulse or I was just unlucky.

Hi all

So I have tried the PWS to find decent rocks with cores and after prospecting 110 roids that glowed bright yellow I only found 1 with a core.

Is there a way to identify what may or may not have a core without wasting a limpet?

I was in a hotspot that I had previously scanned.

Seems like the PWS is just a toy or am I doing it wrong?

Thanks

I imagine there is an element of rng in the scanning and finding of cores.

I tried it once and got 2 cores and 1 ton of crap.

The really valuable asteroids are not only very bright yellow, but has bright red spots in them as well. From about 3-4 km they can be clearly identified, further out not so much.

So get closer to the very bright yellow/orange ones, and if you can see red spots, then it will be a valuable deep core mineable asteroid.

The yellow glow is actualy transparent. The less valuable the asteroid is, the more transparent the glow, thus less bright the yellow glow. At the very valuable asteroids the glow is so bright that the real surface of the asteroid can not be seen at all.

Hi, I too have been trying to work out whether there are subtleties in the "art" of using the PWS or just luck of the RNG. Interesting comments about the red additions to the yellow glow ... I'll look out for that. Another tip (as mentioned in Lance 'spacecat' D's "popular guide to mining"), since only medium and large asteroids seem to be crackable, probably a good idea to ignore the small bright ones.

My current hit rate is about one motherlode per hour but others seem to be claiming a much higher hit rate.

The PWS does not identify core asteroids, but asteroids that have a high yield/percentage mineral content. It doesn't say whether that is coltan or low temperature diamonds. So core asteroid will be bright, but so will a lot of potentially worthless asteroids - unless you want that low value stuff for missions. I like to look for fissures, and try to remember the shape, but for me it's easier to recognize which ones aren't core asteroids, because the core asteroids look like one of the regular ones. I'll need to look for that red/green appearance next time.

How can I identify fissures? I have tried to get up close but do not know what I am looking for.

Any help would be appreciated.

The PWS does not identify core asteroids, but asteroids that have a high yield/percentage mineral content. It doesn't say whether that is coltan or low temperature diamonds. So core asteroid will be bright, but so will a lot of potentially worthless asteroids - unless you want that low value stuff for missions. I like to look for fissures, and try to remember the shape, but for me it's easier to recognize which ones aren't core asteroids, because the core asteroids look like one of the regular ones. I'll need to look for that red/green appearance next time.

Yeah no, it does identify core asteriod. You just need to know what to look for. I barely waste any limpets finding the right asteroids nowadays just using the scanner alone. Make a fame out of it.

Your not just looking for bright yellow. Your looking for "So bright if you turn at different angles the texture glitches out amd turns red and sometimes even black and green" bright. Its very distinctive once you see it.

They are also pretty easy to spot at long range in facr if you see a roind highlighted a few KM out its probably a core roid because non core roids dont show up well at that distance.

How can I identify fissures? I have tried to get up close but do not know what I am looking for.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ill head back out and see if I can get a few pictures for you, got nothing better go do.

Last edited:
Asteroids with cores look like this:

AyXRAYq.png

Top Bottom