PWS - The Cause?

Commanders,

I think I discovered the problem with the PWS. It's not the scanner, but the asteroids themselves!

I was zooming along in my Cutter, when this popped up in front of me at about 500 m. Not sure how I didn't crash into it, but it sure as heck wasn't there until I was nearly inside it!

I think the problem is these are not spawning until you almost literally fly into them, then they are present in the instance, and can be scanned with the scanner (giving the appearance that the PWS is scanning behind the ship).

I suggest a test. Enter a belt, scan. See what you see. Fly in a straight line boosting for maybe 30 km non-stop. Turn around, and without moving, scan again. I'll bet the place lights up.

I was only laser mining, so couldn't take advantage of this 'roid showing up. It was also accompanied by gentle orchestral music, if that helps locate them in an area. ;)

0sraNcG.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah this has now been well observed. You can achieve the same result if you just stay still for a minute or two and then do a scan.

Also could possibly explain why players are having such varied results, we’ve all got different connection speeds.

Here’s something that I’ve not seen anyone mention yet...

We actually see a very similar thing happen each time we get out of our ships on a planet. The surface materials aren’t always instantly present, they can take a minute to load in.

...We actually see a very similar thing happen each time we get out of our ships on a planet. The surface materials aren’t always instantly present, they can take a minute to load in.
True while planetary prospecting in an SRV blow up a rock and I can see say 5 materials on the ground with dark grey reticles when I target each one. However only two show up as white squares on the radar.

Interesting actually...

I've done enough laser mining to notice that the ring takes about 20-30 minutes to "warm up" then the minerals start to flow...

I want to do some core mining just to try it. This is only the second core I've ever seen in about 50 hours.

Take notice of you weapin placement. I would put the most used core/surface mining equipment in de central hardpoints OR in the same outer pilon so you get used to the offset.

Works great for me on the python. The cutter is for laser mining

True while planetary prospecting in an SRV blow up a rock and I can see say 5 materials on the ground with dark grey reticles when I target each one. However only two show up as white squares on the radar.

Do you have any materials set to ignore? Or material bins maxed out?

Do you have any materials set to ignore? Or material bins maxed out?
Good question. I've blocked HGE manufactured materials but never in an SRV gathering
planetary raw materials. Still maybe I did when previously mining. I'll take a look.

Last edited:
Im guessing ignore is on as well in that one.

Asteroids - makes sense, everything loads after you drop into an instance, with my connection its obvious 1-2s clear space and then everything pops into existence. So maybe just sheer number of roids and new RNG is slowing it down.

Top Bottom