Q&A Hot Topics Livestream (questions please!)

Hello everyone,

On Tuesday we're doing a livestream with Mark Allen and Sandro Sammarco where we'll be answering your questions about some of the hot topics we've been talking about on the forum these last few days (weeks).

Please can you fill this thread with questions relating to the following forum posts:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/309693-2-2-Update-Combat-Balance-Adjustments-UPDATED
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/309695-2-2-Update-Engineer-Blueprint-Balance-Adjustments-UPDATED
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/310527-Engineer-Crafting-Commodities-Discussion

We'll be going live on Tuesday at 7PM GMT - and answering as many questions as we possibly can :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/FrontierDevelopments/live

Please try to keep the questions related to the topics above, because we'll be running other Q&A streams on other topics in the coming weeks :)

Ed

Last edited:

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
@Sandro: Has the pin been pulled on the hand grenade you posted in the Collusion Piracy and more thread?

And since I'm in the mood for pulling hand grenades :), here's another thing to chew on: I'm currently rather taken by the concept of a success multiplier for Commanders in Open Play. this modifier would not improve personal gains from power play activities, but it would magnify the effectiveness of a power's actions (expand, oppose, fortify, undermine). And the effect would probably be significant.

Blueprints: are there any plans for more interesting blueprint variety? Many of the recently added ones are restricted to Shielded/lightweight/reinforced

if they are planned, any ideas when we can expect them?

Last edited:
Do you ever plan to add "ammo racks" as internal modules?
I find it wierd that my Anaconda can carry as many Cannon shots as a Viper MkIII. It's even more wierd from the gameplay perspective, as most ammo-based weapons don't even have enough ammo capacity to kill engineered ships now.

Viper MkIII ship kits, where are they?

Will we ever see an engineer modification that compromises firerate for a massive increase in damage per shot? Something like rapid fire, but reversed. Makes your weapon really slow, but hit very hard.

Last edited:
Blueprints: are there any plans for more interesting blueprint variety? Many of the recently added ones are restricted to Shielded/lightweight/reinforced

if they are planned, any ideas when we can expect them?

Do you ever plan to add "ammo racks" as internal modules?
I find it wierd that my Anaconda can carry as many Cannon shots as a Viper MkIII. It's even more wierd from the gameplay perspective, as most ammo-based weapons don't even have enough ammo capacity to kill engineered ships now.

Also:

Viper MkIII ship kits, where are they?

Questions are supposed to be posted in the dedicated threads ! :p

When does the beta start?
How long will the beta approximately last?

Do you have any plans for ship balance or even a new ship?
Large ships are hard countered by small or medium feedback cascades. Especially in wing fights their can most likely never use a SCB. The change to 2-5 hits means nothing in a wing fight it still has a single shot dmg of 200-1000 MJs. Will this change in beta?
Large ships are usually the counter to itself. While they are too slow to catch up with smaller ships they are mainly playing a supportive role in terms of fire support or whatnot. Any plans to give them a threat level higher than medium ships?
The FDL is obviously unbalanced and was since its buff, however, since the engineers the gap increased. Any balance incoming for the FDL?

Utility slots are extremely important. Any balance plans for shield boosters, heatsinks, etc?

Any plans to stop hull tankers from getting hard countered by missiles? For example having 90% hull left but 0% drives/weapons.
Plasmas will ignore damage resistances. Will there be other weapons which partially or completely ignore resistances as well?
Railguns are pretty underpowered but a must-have due to a feedback cascade. Any balancing for railguns incoming?
Are multicannons meant to be the king of damage dealers (DPS wise)? They are easy to use, cheap and don't really have downsides apart from being non-hitscan.

Last edited:
@Sandro: Has the pin been pulled on the hand grenade you posted in the Collusion Piracy and more thread?

I'd love an answer on this too, since Sandro hasn't mentioned it in the Powerplay thread. But I'm guessing this might be planned for the update with the new Powerplay content. Since the next one is for fixing the core.

Also, Ed, Thursday or Tuesday? And you missed the Powerplay thread: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/309692-2-2-Update-Powerplay

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Questions are supposed to be posted in the dedicated threads ! :p

No they're supposed to be in here :p

The stream will be on Tuesday, I'm certain. Ed said on last night's stream they were going to do one on Tuesday and that's the first mention in this post. The mention of Thursday is clearly a copy and paste error.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone.

Couple of questions

Firstly, NPC pilots. There's really isn't a compelling reason to keep them on unless it's for RP or funsies. Can you give us a compelling gameplay reason why we should level them up and not just fire them.

I.e When 1/ They cant fly the main ship as well as we can, 2/ The rapid respawn rate of fighters make different combat levels irrelevant, 3. They take money on everything we do regardless and 4, a single bug can result in weeks/month of work being wasted due to NPC death on destruction.

I would love to have a reason to level a crew up, but to me the issues vastly outweigh the advantages.

Onto the combat re-work. I've seen a couple of tables comparing before and after the gimball changes, but none of them seem to take into account the effect of the extra mass and power that increasing sensor grades will require to get back to where we are. For example the negative effects on jump range/handling on cutter, corvette and FDL

So.. Can we please have new tables that compare before and after using different grades of sensors and also can we please have the answer to the question.

What exactly does class 8 sensors do with the extra 80 tones of mass over class 7 or 120 tons over class 6? especially since they weigh more than military armour?

Finally, What does PvP balance look like seeing as there will always be a meta and balancing stats when there is a random element makes any sort of balance in the traditional sense almost impossible. I.E how will you know if it's worked or not :)

Last edited:
I have a question concerning Ship Transfer: So, for example, I'm flying around in my T9, just on a trade run, and I come across a combat zone, can I transfer my vulture to the station nearby?

Any plans for more useful non-combat blueprints?

A few ideas: faster discovery scanners, longer range detail scanners, faster fuel scoops, automatic scanner upgrades, programable refineries (preset what to collect or discard), efficient cargo racks (more cargo in same space) etc...

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Sandro I have a question. Why if you're making changes to engineer blueprints and adding in new ones, are they all combat focused? When are we going to get some focused development/additions on the exploration side of game play?

Just a thought about weapon gimbals...

All weapons (even fixed) gimbal to one degree on another. How much do fixed weapons in CQC gimbal vs how much in the Main game? I ask because it feels like they gimbal more, and I wonder if we increased fixed weapons gimballing if more people would be tempted to use them?

Cmdr Eid LeWeise

Top Bottom