Discussion QOL: System data dump to Journal on opening System View

Currently the only way to get up-to-date data about a system through the Journal is to jump into that system. I realise that we shouldn't let a user get data through the Journal that the User cannot get in game at that moment (for example getting the detailed star properties of Beagle Point without visiting it ever). But once we DS scan a system, its system map is open for us permanently, something we can see in game anytime we want. What if opening the system map of a system writes a journal event, with a similar schema to FSDJump. This would help in getting data from remote locations to the 3rd party tools without needing to visit those systems.

EDIT: I might be wrong about
But once we DS scan a system, its system map is open for us permanently
. But if the system map doesn't show, imo, no data should be given in the journal. I believe that this shouldn't be a way to cheat the system, but to ease the way data is recorded.

Last edited:
once we DS scan a system, its system map is open for us permanently

I'm 99% sure this is NOT true. For example I've been to many of the systems around Maia many times yet recently when I went back to a system that I even had a bookmark in I did NOT have the system data and as I didn't have a scanner with me I had to wait for a wingmate to join me to find my way. Perhaps it's because I never sold that data but simply scanning something does not keep it in your cartographic data forever.

Am I wrong or missing something?

Am I wrong or missing something?

Hmm...on second thoughts I am not entirely sure myself, but my point stands that, we can have a journal entry on system map open event which can put down in the journal the level of detail we can see in the system map at that time.

Oh god please no. The journal is getting stuffed with far too much spurious garbage anyway (like background music… why on earth‽). Make a feature request to whatever 3rd party tools you're using to properly deal with historical journal data.

Hey Garud,

Do you know if you died after scanning this system?

If you did then losing the scan data as a result is not a bug.

Hey Mitch,

Yeah, I was not sure about this. I was just not able to remember this over the top of my head. I had edited the OP accordingly. But I agree on scan data loss on death. I believe if the scan data is lost, the system data won't be available to the player anymore, in which case I am perfectly fine (and I believe that this should be the case in all fairness) for it to not show up the journal.

Last edited:
The journal is getting stuffed with far too much spurious garbage anyway

For 3rd party app development no amount of data is garbage.

(like background music… why on earth‽).

There are use cases for background music. One can listen to music type and deduce the current scenario/activity taking place.

Make a feature request to whatever 3rd party tools you're using to properly deal with historical journal data.

I am a 3rd party dev myself and this request is regarding an app I am developing to ease BGS management.

For 3rd party app development no amount of data is garbage.

There are use cases for background music. One can listen to music type and deduce the current scenario/activity taking place.

I am a 3rd party dev myself and this request is regarding an app I am developing to ease BGS management.

If you are planning to capture data for BGS analysis then surely you want accurate data for influence and economic state so "should" actually have to visit it right?

If you are planning to capture data for BGS analysis then surely you want accurate data for influence and economic state so "should" actually have to visit it right?
Are you saying the system data that we see in the System Map is not accurate? It appears to be accurate for me.

When checking all of my factions systems each day I check the System Maps, they are the first place that the BGS tick over shows up and they are the only place that shows the factions influence accurately (to 2 decimal points) without it being rounded.

At the moment my faction members have to visit all the systems (and update EDDN) before we have the correct system data on EDDB / Inara etc. Surely if I can see accurate up to date data in game (via the System Map) then I should be able to export that data via the Journal?

I agree with the OP and would like to see the data available to a CMDR in the System Map made available in their Journal.

Yeah, that is what my intention is. I am not trying to get around the system, rather since a player can see the data, there is no harm in having that data in the journal right?
To clarify, my intention is to have a journal entry similar to FSDJump but only with the data that the player can actually see.

+1 for this

It would be very useful for tracking our BGS activities. We could visit all our systems every day to see if they are in danger of an unwanted conflict, but that is difficult to coordinate in a clan with many people. That for we are using OCR to extract the daily influence and state values from screenshots of the system map.

Now with 3.0 the percent values are w/o the fraction part on the system map, so very unprecise. Might be unwanted und fixed soon(tm), but in any way, getting data in the journal which we already have access to in the GUI would be fantastic!

Last edited:
Removal of fractional influence from the system map is probably a bug. And OCRs are prone to failure every now and then.

Top Bottom