Quest 3 - How do you use Virtual Desktop with non-SteamVR ED

Hi all

I should know this. When I tried to run ED with Virtual Desktop it tried to launch SteamVR which I don't want to use. (Airlink is unplayably laggy for me and I would like to make use of VD's upscaler.)

What is the process for getting ED running in VR using VD. Or do I have to use SteamVR if I want to go wireless via VD?

Thanks!

I'm not 100% but I believe VD relies on SteamVR, at least by default. However just recently they added VDXR which is VD's version of OpenComposite. I've not tried it myself (yet) but somewhere in the settings you should be able to find VDXR. With OpenComposite for Link you bypass SteamVR, and I would assume that VDXR likewise bypasses SteamVR. Hopefully someone more experienced will come along soon but maybe that will give you a starting point? It should be in the settings for the streamer app (the PC app).

Hi all

I should know this. When I tried to run ED with Virtual Desktop it tried to launch SteamVR which I don't want to use. (Airlink is unplayably laggy for me and I would like to make use of VD's upscaler.)

What is the process for getting ED running in VR using VD. Or do I have to use SteamVR if I want to go wireless via VD?

Thanks!
I run ED with a Q3 in Virtual Desktop, without Steam / SteamVR / the Oculus App or Airlink, none of which are needed, and the performace for me is very good.
This is how I do it
  1. Install OpenXR Toolkit on you PC, set the on-screen menu hotkeys to you pereference
  2. Install OpenComposite on you PC and have its switch button set to launch with OpenComposite NOT SteamVR
  3. Purchase Virtual Desktop from the Meta Store and install on the Q3
  4. Install the companion Virtual Desktop streamer app on your PC
  5. Create a desktop icon to launch EDLaunch.exe /VR
  6. Put on the Q3 headset and power on
  7. Using one of the handset controllers launch Virtual Desktop
  8. Then using my mouse launch ED from the the desktop icon

Screenshot 2023-12-21 204805.pngScreenshot 2023-12-21 204837.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-21 211049.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-21 211049.png
    179.3 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
I run ED with a Q3 in Virtual Desktop, without Steam / SteamVR / the Oculus App or Airlink, none of which are needed, and the performace for me is very good.
This is how I do it
  1. Install OpenXR Toolkit on you PC, set the on-screen menu hotkeys to you pereference
  2. Install OpenComposite on you PC and have its switch button set to launch with OpenComposite NOT SteamVR
  3. Purchase Virtual Desktop from the Meta Store and install on the Q3
  4. Install the companion Virtual Desktop streamer app on your PC
  5. Create a desktop icon to launch EDLaunch.exe /VR
  6. Put on the Q3 headset and power on
  7. Using one of the handset controllers launch Virtual Desktop
  8. Then using my mouse launch ED from the the desktop icon

View attachment 378927View attachment 378928
That's amazingly helpful. Can't wait to try it!

edit
Do I need to keep the OpenXR Toolkit and the OpenComposite switcher on for this to work? (I know I need the VD streamer app on)

Last edited:
That's amazingly helpful. Can't wait to try it!

edit
Do I need to keep the OpenXR Toolkit and the OpenComposite switcher on for this to work? (I know I need the VD streamer app on)
Once installed the OpenXR Toolkit is a one shot set up to define what keys you want to navigate the in-headset menus
Once installed OpenComposite runtime switcher is a one shot set up to whether you want Steam VR or OpenComposite

Once installed the OpenXR Toolkit is a one shot set up to define what keys you want to navigate the in-headset menus
Once installed OpenComposite runtime switcher is a one shot set up to whether you want Steam VR or OpenComposite
Wow! It looked amazing
AND
I got steady 90Hz in the station. Repeat for those who didn't read that... 90Hz in a station! There is some magic going on there.

That is absolutely nuts. Visual Desktop uses the headset's chip as an upscaler so ED has never looked so sharp too. I have reduced sharpness down to 60%, might even go lower, as I think VD's default is a bit too harsh.

Blown away. Hoping other Oculus Home games work...

Wow! It looked amazing
AND
I got steady 90Hz in the station. Repeat for those who didn't read that... 90Hz in a station! There is some magic going on there.

That is absolutely nuts. Visual Desktop uses the headset's chip as an upscaler so ED has never looked so sharp too. I have reduced sharpness down to 60%, might even go lower, as I think VD's default is a bit too harsh.

Blown away. Hoping other Oculus Home games work...
There are settings from the OpenXR Toolkit you installed accessable by pressing the "On-screen menu hotkeys" to adapt in game settings.
First go to the very last menu and change the "time out" setting, otherwise the options dissapear in 15 seconds.
The only one I change here is the "Turbo" option with gives me about 5 fps more.

Top Bottom