Question about expansions

Before I up my pledge to get future expansions I just wanted to know whether landing on planets and walking around on your ship will have to be paid for separately when they are released or will they be free updates?

Hello Ayo and welcome to the forum! :)

My understanding is that all future expansions are included if you buy them now.

So if I don't upgrade I will have to pay again later to get planetary landing and walking around the ship? Has this been confirmed?

Also hey everyone :)

Essentially Ayo that is correct. You can buy the expansions at a later date if you wish or pledge for lifetime updates meaning all future expansions will be included and available to you as they come out. The game however will be fully playable without any expansions, it's just that the extra content wouldn't be available.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. :)

Thanks for the welcome! There is no way that I would miss out on those particular expansions, but I wonder how it will work in the game if some people can go down to planets and some can't? Speaking of which, how will we be prevented from going to planets before the expansion? Invisible walls?

I am guessing here Ayo, but I guess if you didn't have the planetary landing expansion, you ship would burn up trying to perform a re-entry. Or perhaps you wouldn't get landing clearance for the starport. As I said I am guessing. :eek:

Like Geraldine said, no permission to land and any closer than 100km to the surface and the ground based disintercheesegrater cannon opens up on you with it's 100% accuracy and energy input ratio.
Nah, I'm just guessing too. :)

oooh so thats what an invisible wall looks like , i always wondered :S

Your ship will lack atmospheric shielding, which caused in old games for you to blow up when you tried to land. In ED as we understood you will skew upper part of atmosphere, will get nice reentry animation, and then you will be pushed back out by ship who will say 'nope' because you don't have shielding.

Well I hope FD comes comes up with something better than an invisible wall. :D I hate those in games as it really breaks the immersion.

Your ship will lack atmospheric shielding, which caused in old games for you to blow up when you tried to land. In ED as we understood you will skew upper part of atmosphere, will get nice reentry animation, and then you will be pushed back out by ship who will say 'nope' because you don't have shielding.

all i can say to that is you missed the timebandits out ;)

And your friendly ship flying system saying 'nope, I don't wanna burn in atmosphere' and overriding your desire to be fireball :)

I prefer:
"Due to your continued attempt to head toward the planet, we have sent two thermonuclear warheads to greet you..."

Yeah, not having atmospheric shielding would be a good way to do it for planets with an atmosphere. Perhaps when you are at speeds under 'super-cruise' any planets you see are just part of the background and will never get closer? I guess we will find out within a couple of months.

I'm still undecided about spending £80 on the game before seeing any gameplay. I'll probably have to upgrade my computer to play too :(

...gaah I can't say no! Frontier is my all time favourite game! See you in the second round beta!

Top Bottom