Discussion Question about locations (filesystem)

Hello all. I have searched and searched and searched. Both this forum and the internet in general and I can't fine the answer to this anywhere. There has to be one because I've seen several 3rd party tools that use this.

How do I determine the system the client is in? And yes, I know that verbose logging must be enabled. I'm fairly certain that this information is somewhere in a log file (but I guess I could be wrong), but there are a whole BUNCH of netlog files and they appear to have random numbers in the name.

Can anyone help with this?

If you have verbose logging enabled before starting the client then the netLog files contain entries like:
Code:
{00:31:06} System:1(Quince) Body:17 Pos:(-1494.41,-716.093,-2500.79) NormalFlight
The useful parts are the local time (i.e. 00:31:06), the "System:" string which tells you that the system name follows, the system name (i.e. "Quince"), and flight mode (i.e. "NormalFlight" or "Supercruise"). When parsing the system name remember that it can contain spaces and/or brackets.

The client starts a new netLog file every time it runs. They're named such that if you sort the filenames alphabetically the last one is the most recent.

Here's some Python code that polls the netLog file for System entries and detects when the client starts a new netLog file.

Last edited:
If you have verbose logging enabled before starting the client then the netLog files contain entries like:
Code:
{00:31:06} System:1(Quince) Body:17 Pos:(-1494.41,-716.093,-2500.79) NormalFlight
The useful parts are the local time (i.e. 00:31:06), the "System:" string which tells you that the system name follows, the system name (i.e. "Quince"), and flight mode (i.e. "NormalFlight" or "Supercruise"). When parsing the system name remember that it can contain spaces and/or brackets.

The client starts a new netLog file every time it runs. They're named such that if you sort the filenames alphabetically the last one is the most recent.

Here's some Python code that polls the netLog file for System entries and detects when the client starts a new netLog file.

Thank you. That's very helpful. I'm not really up on Python code. If I write an application it will be in .net, but the Python does give me a place to start. And the rest (file sort and log entry format) is extremely helpful as well. Thank you. I really appreciate it.

Top Bottom