[Question] Biological sites

I hate the FSS, so I'm exploring using parallax and proximity auto-resolve.

Is there any way to tell if a body has biological sites from outside the FSS and without mapping?

Geological I can figure out from the System Map, but I've never seen anything reporting biologicals as being present.

FSS is quickest way to check for bio signs, or thargoid barnacles.
Cannot tell from system map. Only shows in sysmap, the info at the end once planet probes have been launched at that planet and full mapping completed.

FSS can detect bio signs but perm marker for them would need probing the planet.

My current exploration trip is for life mainly (well, new things in the Codex). I have summarised the Codex entries on where the different life forms are situated and am basically scanning from that (bodies > 12 kls from star, O, B, A main stars, bodies with life in general (gas giants with water/ammonia-based life, ammonia worlds, water words, ELPs, ...)). Saves time in the FSS at least.

:D S

I hate the FSS, so I'm exploring using parallax and proximity auto-resolve.

Is there any way to tell if a body has biological sites from outside the FSS and without mapping?

Geological I can figure out from the System Map, but I've never seen anything reporting biologicals as being present.
Alright bud.

It’s a bit mixed. Roseum Braintrees could be found easily prior to 3.3 if in the right area.

If you’re in an eligible area, you need to look for bodies with vulcansim, and a temperature between 200K and 500K, and with ejecta craters. If you fly to the middle of any of the ejecta craters you’ll be able to find Roseum Braintrees.

There’s nothing to tell in advance whether an area is a Braintree area - you need to check bodies to find out.

If you find a Roseum Braintree area then it will also have other types of Braintrees. Check the Codex for the criteria for the bodies they’ll appear on.

The other types of Braintree will be harder to find though as they don’t appear in a clearly defined place like the Roseum ones do.

Your best search method for the other types of Braintree (and all other types of biological and geological) is glide searching.

To glide search, start in orbital cruise, pick a line to search along, drop into glide and glide as steeply as you can until you see the altimeter suddenly jump. Once that happens, level out as much as possible (around 10 degrees usually) and glide for as long as possible. You’ll be travelling at 2500 m/s and so long as you’ve got a decent graphics card, you should be able to spot any geological or biologicals that you pass over on the POI scanner - you’re generally looking for a tiny POI indicator, but it can sometimes be a medium or large one which then shrinks to a tiny one, depending on the type of POI and the type of body. At the end of the glide you’ll need to go back to OC and start again. You’ll need to go past 90 degrees and head back slightly along your route when heading back to OC so that when you reach the level point of the glide you’re picking up where your last glide finished.

For Biologicals other than Braintrees, take a look at the criteria for them in the Codex. Just be aware that there’s a bit more to it than is expressed in the Codex, for example Bark Mounds appear in Nebulae, but they don’t appear in every Nebula - however if they’re in a particular Nebula then they’ll be in every eligible body therein.

A few additional notes / caveats:

- I never had any success with the glide method personally, but others had plenty. As far as I was able to determine this was primarily due to relative graphics card capabilities. (I’ve only got onboard Intel HD 520 graphics, so I’d imagine you’ll be ok on this front.)

- AFAIK everything under biological and geological in the Codex will appear on the ship’s POI scanner / radar, but I haven’t been to every single type so can’t guarantee it 100%

- I’m pretty sure Barnacles don’t show on the ship’s POI scanner / radar (please correct me if I’m wrong on this one @PanPiper. )

- If you find Braintrees then you’ve also probably found a Guardian area (the relationship isn’t completely proven but it’s how it appears to be). Guardian sites should appear on your NavPanel and HUD so there shouldn’t be any issues for you in spotting them.

- There might always be things that aren’t in the codex. It’s not hugely likely but equally there might be a few exceedingly rare things out there. I can’t suggest anything on that front other than searching planet by planet but it’s worth bearing in mind that the Sinuous Tubers were in from 2.2 but weren’t found until the 3.3 beta, so things can be very hard to find using pre 3.3 methods (arguably more of an achievement that way though! 😀)

Hope that all helps mate, and I’ll add links to a few relevant guides when I’m not on mobile. o7

Edit - might have misread it as you wanting to do it without mapping whatsoever. Obviously it’s all a lot easier if you’re happy to do mapping of candidate bodies rather than having to use glide searching.

Last edited:
Alright bud.

It’s a bit mixed. Roseum Braintrees could be found easily prior to 3.3 if in the right area.

If you’re in an eligible area, you need to look for bodies with vulcansim, and a temperature between 200K and 500K, and with ejecta craters. If you fly to the middle of any of the ejecta craters you’ll be able to find Roseum Braintrees.

There’s nothing to tell in advance whether an area is a Braintree area - you need to check bodies to find out.

If you find a Roseum Braintree area then it will also have other types of Braintrees. Check the Codex for the criteria for the bodies they’ll appear on.

The other types of Braintree will be harder to find though as they don’t appear in a clearly defined place like the Roseum ones do.

Your best search method for the other types of Braintree (and all other types of biological and geological) is glide searching.

To glide search, start in orbital cruise, pick a line to search along, drop into glide and glide as steeply as you can until you see the altimeter suddenly jump. Once that happens, level out as much as possible (around 10 degrees usually) and glide for as long as possible. You’ll be travelling at 2500 m/s and so long as you’ve got a decent graphics card, you should be able to spot any geological or biologicals that you pass over on the POI scanner - you’re generally looking for a tiny POI indicator, but it can sometimes be a medium or large one which then shrinks to a tiny one, depending on the type of POI and the type of body. At the end of the glide you’ll need to go back to OC and start again. You’ll need to go past 90 degrees and head back slightly along your route when heading back to OC so that when you reach the level point of the glide you’re picking up where your last glide finished.

For Biologicals other than Braintrees, take a look at the criteria for them in the Codex. Just be aware that there’s a bit more to it than is expressed in the Codex, for example Bark Mounds appear in Nebulae, but they don’t appear in every Nebula - however if they’re in a particular Nebula then they’ll be in every eligible body therein.

A few additional notes / caveats:

- I never had any success with the glide method personally, but others had plenty. As far as I was able to determine this was primarily due to relative graphics card capabilities. (I’ve only got onboard Intel HD 520 graphics, so I’d imagine you’ll be ok on this front.)

- AFAIK everything under biological and geological in the Codex will appear on the ship’s POI scanner / radar, but I haven’t been to every single type so can’t guarantee it 100%

- I’m pretty sure Barnacles don’t show on the ship’s POI scanner / radar (please correct me if I’m wrong on this one @PanPiper. )

- If you find Braintrees then you’ve also probably found a Guardian area (the relationship isn’t completely proven but it’s how it appears to be). Guardian sites should appear on your NavPanel and HUD so there shouldn’t be any issues for you in spotting them.

- There might always be things that aren’t in the codex. It’s not hugely likely but equally there might be a few exceedingly rare things out there. I can’t suggest anything on that front other than searching planet by planet but it’s worth bearing in mind that the Sinuous Tubers were in from 2.2 but weren’t found until the 3.3 beta, so things can be very hard to find using pre 3.3 methods (arguably more of an achievement that way though! 😀)

Hope that all helps mate, and I’ll add links to a few relevant guides when I’m not on mobile. o7

Edit - might have misread it as you wanting to do it without mapping whatsoever. Obviously it’s all a lot easier if you’re happy to do mapping of candidate bodies rather than having to use glide searching.

Thanks for the awesome response :)

I'm currently in a mission scanning HD and HIP stars in Centaurus, so I'll check the codex to see what I'm likely to be in the right kind of systems for and pick a few candidate planets to map. The probe golf bugs me, but I'm 100% sure I don't have the patience for glide-searching. I'm already making my life difficult enough using parallax :D

Thanks for the awesome response :)

I'm currently in a mission scanning HD and HIP stars in Centaurus, so I'll check the codex to see what I'm likely to be in the right kind of systems for and pick a few candidate planets to map. The probe golf bugs me, but I'm 100% sure I don't have the patience for glide-searching. I'm already making my life difficult enough using parallax :D
Anytime mate!

I think the codex does more or less cover everything, but there’s a couple of things I’ll check as well when I get chance. Will let you know if I can find anything else to add! Best of luck with the mission!

It is good to know or be farmiliar with the known biologicals we have found so far.
Their limitations or criteria where they could spawn. Some varietys of biological, for those that have variety, have different requirements too.
Regions of the Galaxy also have differences to what can and cannot spawn.

For example in Inner Orion Spur ,
where the bubble is and the western end of the main guardian area has quite a wide variety, but that could also be due to the most heavily explored.
I'll exclude Notable stellar Phenomena, they too have their own spawn criteria per region it seems and their own space biological things and objects anomalies.

Spotting volcanism is quite easy from the system map and gauge the probable temperature ranges from position in system.
Many biologicals do require volcanism or a specific type of volcanism. Still , have to be in the right area with other criteria filled for biologicals to be there.

Iirc the Bark mounds were the First of the Biologicals found in game, excluding barnacles , but they are listed as Thargoid,engineered from a previous lifeform by the goids.
Codex is limited in the info it records or shows,this is what i know.
Barnacles - At least they show on mapping planet now, and give a nav marker. No POI with those. Were very hard to find, easier now, but only in select areas it seems.
Pleiades, Witch's Head and California nebula. Wont go into Barnacles now as it would take forever and still ongoing research.

Bark mounds -
Requires proximity to a Nebula. within approx 100 lyrs max of the edge of nebula
( can be a Planetary nebula, dark region cloud, small nebula without a central system,small nebula parts like pipe stem , snake etc. any Nebula. )
These are not fussy and can occupy planets and moons, usually all viable places in system.
Screenshot_1043.jpg

Temp range must be between 200k-440k , might be 450k max , been a while.
since they tend to spawn on all viable bodies in a system you can see the cut off points of temp within a system with a wide range of bodies and temps.
Although volcanism is not required it does affect numbers. Average number of BM is 5 for non volcanic bodies, that drops lower as they near the ends of the temp range.
Volcanic bodies tend to have double the numbers on average, usually 6-10 bio signs.
Brain Tree's -
These appear to be linked to the Guardians, as they spawn around the known guardian areas for 100 lyrs sometimes much much further.
They were found around the main guardian areas first, but then later also spawning around the small guardian outposts located far away in other regions.
If you are nearby to where guardian systems are , these will spawn on every viable body in a system
First there were the Roseous Brain tree, that was easy to work out, they mostly spawned in the middle of Ejecta craters on volcanic bodies.

Later FD added some variety with different coloured variants , some Glow. They also have different criteria, so you may find some and not others.
BLUEBRAINS.jpg

Roseous became Roseum when they changed things.7 variety now. each has different temp ranges they can spawn at. all require volcanism still.
Finding those Viride ones, dark green are the hardest. requiring a rocky ice body specificly with volcanism. and a low temp,

Anemones -
aka Space pumpkins. 8 variants. The types depend on the Main star type for these and the temp of the body they are on.
only located in O, B or A stars, that we know so far. 4 regular ones,usualy rocky but one needs Ice, regular temps .
giantpumpkins.jpg

4 bioluiminescent ones tend to be on big metal planets and high temps. no upper temp i think. Some only spawn in B and A, some just in B, other only in O stars.
Pinkpumpkins.jpg

If its not on a moon, take care when landing as most of the bioluming ones are high G planets.

Sinuous Tubers -
One is listed in the codex for inner orion spur but its quite far off north away from the bubble. Very unusual for this region, as these mostly are restricted to the Galactic core and the next two regions from the centre around it. Unlikely to find any closer to the bubble i think.

These probably should have other variants but appear bugged to just Roseum Sinous Tubers for the purpose of the Codex.
Silicate magma or Silicate vapour geysers volcanism required with a usual bio temp range of 200-500 approx.
They do come in other colours but scan as roseous if they do scan. Seen White, yellow, green and blue variants.
tubers8.png

Depends how you look at their colour too, the light they emit in the dark vs the light they reflect when lights are shone on them.

There are other planet biologicals which spawn in other regions too.
Crystaline shards are nice.
Seem to be only in the 2 rings of the outer regions of the galaxy so far. They show as biological signals, volcanism required. low temps but the >12000 ls from nearest star is the main criteria to look for.
Screenshot_1012.jpg

wide range of stars, but going to need a system with a lot of weight ,gas giants far off.
Best bet is the larger A and F stars, looking for a system with many bodies and any GG >12000. hard to find such a system when out near the edges but if you find a nice star while there, definately worth a FSS of those systems.

Amphora Plants - Not come across these yet myself.

Last edited:
Guess I'll just have to hope I get luck with one of my occasional random mappings.
Finding biologicals is the one thing I hate about the new system, because it takes SO LONG to resolve POIs in the FSS. On the other hand, once you've found your 100th brain tree or space bark, biologicals lose their appeal IMO. These days I'm interested in just one thing - undiscovered ruins, but this too apparently requires scanning every planet and waiting eons for the POIs to resolve...

Finding biologicals is the one thing I hate about the new system, because it takes SO LONG to resolve POIs in the FSS. On the other hand, once you've found your 100th brain tree or space bark, biologicals lose their appeal IMO. These days I'm interested in just one thing - undiscovered ruins, but this too apparently requires scanning every planet and waiting eons for the POIs to resolve...

I'm bored with the shiny spiky crystal things and I've only found 3.
Until there's something to do with the discoveries beyond tick them off in the Codex and occasionally scrape some stuff off them, I'm happy not to worry about whether I find them or not. Just flying my spaceship around is good enough for me.

Amphora Plants - Not come across these yet myself.
They spawn according to pretty strict criteria. They need to have an A star in the system, an ELW / WLGG / WG (any one of them willl do) in the system, and they'll be on a Metal Rich planet. Plus a hidden requirement that's not on the Codex: the planet has to have volcanism as well. (Most of them do.)
Such candidate planets are rare, but if amphora plants are enabled for the region, you should find them on all the suitable planets.

And yeah, one more vote for being bored with the biological sites after landing at two or three.

Last edited:
So it turns out the way to do what I want to do - explore by flying around, while still being able to find biological sites - is to parallax-proximity resolve all the bodies in a candidate system, then use the FSS (uurgh) to zoom in on all the landable bodies. That shows me whether there's any biological sites and I don't have to mess with the tuning stuff. Found myself some glowing pumpkins and I've got 3 more bodies to visit. I'm assuming I'll find the same stuff on each of them, but hey-ho.

I really wish there was a way to get the information without having to use the FSS, but it's better than random chance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom