Question: Boost capacity

Hey all,

Question I have not been able to solve. I am trying to optimize a ship for cargo-hauling, but in doing so I lost my ability to boost. I see that is because I lack the capacity in my engines.

Is there a way for me to see in-game what mega-joules are required in order to use my current engine boost?

thanks o7

I'm pretty sure that this is not the correct forum for this kind of question.
However, If you go to the Outfitters, you can see in the bar at the bottom of the screen what effect each module you have loaded will have on power usage.
Generally, if you have A rated and engineered your Power Plant and Distributor you should have all the power you need for whatever your loadout, unless you are using High powered Laser hardpoints.

o7

Is there a way for me to see in-game what mega-joules are required in order to use my current engine boost?

It's not explicitly indicated anywhere in-game, but the boost cost is an aspect of the ship itself, so if you get a rough measurement (by boosting and seeing how many bars it removes from ENG relative to the total ENG capacity of that distributor) you can compare it to other distributors.

If you want more ease and precision, both major online ship configurators (coriolis.io and edsy.org) will also show wether you can boost with the currently equipped distributor or not.

I'm pretty sure that this is not the correct forum for this kind of question.

Yes, this belongs in "Ships & Engineers" or "Dangerous Discussion".

However, If you go to the Outfitters, you can see in the bar at the bottom of the screen what effect each module you have loaded will have on power usage.

Boost cost cannot be derived from power consumption. It's a function of ship and ENG capacitor.

Boost cost cannot be derived from power consumption. It's a function of ship and ENG capacitor.
Not strictly true.
If you have no spare capacity after you have all modules loaded then you will still be able to thrust but never be able to boost because your capacitor wil never fill enough.
You can often mitigate this by turning off any unnecessary modules. However making sure your PP and Distributor are up to the task is a better solution.

o7

Not strictly true.
If you have no spare capacity after you have all modules loaded then you will still be able to thrust but never be able to boost because your capacitor wil never fill enough.
You can often mitigate this by turning off any unnecessary modules. However making sure your PP and Distributor are up to the task is a better solution.

o7
you see I'm trying to optimize jump range for cargo hauling, so I have many D rated modules and low as possible module sizes. I have the majority of engis unlocked also, just trying to squeak by with barely what is necessary in order to maximize the other aspects.

It's not explicitly indicated anywhere in-game, but the boost cost is an aspect of the ship itself, so if you get a rough measurement (by boosting and seeing how many bars it removes from ENG relative to the total ENG capacity of that distributor) you can compare it to other distributors.
Just to make sure I understand you correctly, tell me if this is right. An Asp Explore with a level 5A distributor will always cost X number of bars to boost. This is only changed by module quality/size?

The power bar at the bottom of the screen in outfitting is for power plant output only and has absolutely jack to do with the size of the capacitors.
Boosting will cost the same MJ off your capacitor regardless of your plant or engine, literally only the distributor matters. Unfortunately this is a hidden statistic in-game.

The smallest stock distro that will allow a boost on an asp explorer is a 3D, which will get you exactly one boost. With grade 5 Engine Focused, you can fit a 1D and still get a boost out of it.

The power bar at the bottom of the screen in outfitting is for power plant output only and has absolutely jack to do with the size of the capacitors.
Boosting will cost the same MJ off your capacitor regardless of your plant or engine, literally only the distributor matters. Unfortunately this is a hidden statistic in-game.

The smallest stock distro that will allow a boost on an asp explorer is a 3D, which will get you exactly one boost. With grade 5 Engine Focused, you can fit a 1D and still get a boost out of it.
perfect this is exactly what I was looking for. I just gave the Asp as an example, I'm actually running a Python. I'm impressed how you knew that for an AspX though. You wouldn't know how that applies to a Python would you? I guess I need to figure out these build-your-ship sites.

I just went on coriolis and picked out a distro, it'll tell you if your build is able to boost (and how often). You'll need a stock 6D to boost a python, or with G5 engine focused and the Cluster Capacitors experimental effect, you should just about be able to squeak in on a 3D.

I just went on coriolis and picked out a distro, it'll tell you if your build is able to boost (and how often). You'll need a stock 6D to boost a python, or with G5 engine focused and the Cluster Capacitors experimental effect, you should just about be able to squeak in on a 3D.
time for me to learn coriolis. 3D is what I happen to be running to, so more farming time lol

Top Bottom