Question concerning the Pteranadon

In the JP films and JWE, the Pteranadon shown is a male longiceps. I see in JWE2 that the 3D model has switched to the JW style Pteranadon. The question is... is that a female longiceps? Is it possible that we might have both 3D models in game. Is the JW style a longiceps or sternbergi? Both species females would appear identical to the naked eye, males on the other hand had the more distinctive crests. Answer when you're allowed to. Thanks

Jens Erik

Senior Community Manager
Frontier
The question is... is that a female longiceps? Is it possible that we might have both 3D models in game. Is the JW style a longiceps or sternbergi?
Oooh, that's a tricky one. As far as I'm aware, all dinosaurs in Jurassic World (the original park) were engineered to be female, unless noted otherwise. The same goes for all the dinosaurs in Jurassic World Evolution, except the Indoraptor, which is male. I'm not sure if it's a longiceps or a sternbergi though.

Deep dive research states that the JW Pteranadon is the female Pteranadon longiceps masrani. The JP Pteranadons, based on the head crest are male Pteranadon longiceps. So if the JWE Pteranadon gets ported to JWE2, we would have a male/female pair. Precedent set with the TRex. As far as them only being bred as females, i'll just say frog dna.

Colin T. has said both males and females of dinos existed in JW and that they used a combination of controlled breeding and genetic engineering to maintain genetic diversity...so maybe...even if we don't get breeding right away in JW2, we may at least get gendered dinos with some differences in the species in terms of color, size or behavior.

Colin T. has said both males and females of dinos existed in JW and that they used a combination of controlled breeding and genetic engineering to maintain genetic diversity...so maybe...even if we don't get breeding right away in JW2, we may at least get gendered dinos with some differences in the species in terms of color, size or behavior.
Only gender appearance just not going to be good. Breeding mechanics is still required. Even if this doesn't come at the game's release, it's going to be implemented later, and I hope that it really will be implemented, because male dinosaurs and babies are explicitly represented in the movies. That idea of only female dinosaurs makes sense in JP1 only, but the game takes place after Fallen Kingdom. Since TLW, male and baby dinosaurs appear in the franchise.

Babies and male dinosaurs can be implemented naturally in the game. Obviously it will take a long time, but it is possible. Even though PZ is a different game, the proposal is the same. And considering that the engine Frontier uses is the Cobra engine, and they've implemented breeding for all PZ animals, then we can safely state that it's technically possible to implement breeding in JWE2. They can do it, only I think it takes a while to implement it. Maybe after the release of Dominion...

Only gender appearance just not going to be good. Breeding mechanics is still required. Even if this doesn't come at the game's release, it's going to be implemented later, and I hope that it really will be implemented, because male dinosaurs and babies are explicitly represented in the movies. That idea of only female dinosaurs makes sense in JP1 only, but the game takes place after Fallen Kingdom. Since TLW, male and baby dinosaurs appear in the franchise.

Babies and male dinosaurs can be implemented naturally in the game. Obviously it will take a long time, but it is possible. Even though PZ is a different game, the proposal is the same. And considering that the engine Frontier uses is the Cobra engine, and they've implemented breeding for all PZ animals, then we can safely state that it's technically possible to implement breeding in JWE2. They can do it, only I think it takes a while to implement it. Maybe after the release of Dominion...
Assumedly there'll be at least one year of content ahead of release, hopefully it ends up at some level eventually.

Wild breeding variants is probably the way to do it, allows you to do it incrementally and doesn't have to be done for everything.

Considering all of the dinos and reptiles have twelve skins, what they could/might do is have the JPIII Pteranodons as six of the skins and the JW Pteranodons as the other six skins.

I'm not sure if I'd be able to accept the JP3 Pteranodon as a male variant of the JW Pteranodon. They're just too different in important ways other than crest size. Not to mention the JP3 variant was shown on screen having babies. Meaning at least some had to (already) be females.

I'm not sure if I'd be able to accept the JP3 Pteranodon as a male variant of the JW Pteranodon. They're just too different in important ways other than crest size. Not to mention the JP3 variant was shown on screen having babies. Meaning at least some had to (already) be females.
Remember C.T. stated selective breeding was already in use by that time.

The P.l. as displayed in JP movies, is probably the most iconic representation of the Pterrorsaurs throught film history, from the original King Kong to 1million years B.C. This was chosen more so for easy audience recognition, if you saw that image you would know that it was a Pteranodon.

As to why the Pteranodon was changed from JP style to JW style is strictly the director making an artistic change.

I'm just saying, in JWE2, there is an opportunity for a scientificly accurate depiction of the difference between male/female. JWE already set the precedent with the JP2 skins for Velociraptor and TRex and the JP3 3D model and skins for the Velociraptor, those of course are not scientificly accurate.

The 3D model just needs to be ported over from JWE.

IRL, modern birds display thos
e traits between the sexs. Males generally tend to be more colorful and flamboyant with plumage. A Peacock is a perfect example of this.

Your objection is noted, but does not hold water, just because of what you can accept or not. You always have the option to use it or not. Do not deprive others of that same option.

Remember C.T. stated selective breeding was already in use by that time.

The P.l. as displayed in JP movies, is probably the most iconic representation of the Pterrorsaurs throught film history, from the original King Kong to 1million years B.C. This was chosen more so for easy audience recognition, if you saw that image you would know that it was a Pteranodon.

As to why the Pteranodon was changed from JP style to JW style is strictly the director making an artistic change.

I'm just saying, in JWE2, there is an opportunity for a scientificly accurate depiction of the difference between male/female. JWE already set the precedent with the JP2 skins for Velociraptor and TRex and the JP3 3D model and skins for the Velociraptor, those of course are not scientificly accurate.

The 3D model just needs to be ported over from JWE.

IRL, modern birds display thos
e traits between the sexs. Males generally tend to be more colorful and flamboyant with plumage. A Peacock is a perfect example of this.

Your objection is noted, but does not hold water, just because of what you can accept or not. You always have the option to use it or not. Do not deprive others of that same option.
I'm not saying we can't have the JP3 Pteranodon. What I am saying is that the 2 should are far 2 different to be different variants of the same animal. It would be closer to label the TLW Pteranodon as the male of current variant.

I'm not saying we can't have the JP3 Pteranodon. What I am saying is that the 2 should are far 2 different to be different variants of the same animal. It would be closer to label the TLW Pteranodon as the male of current variant.
The TWL and JP3 Pteranodons , males of the P.l., are the same. So yes the JWE Pteranodon would be the male to the JW female, which is what i've said all along.

I don't agree. How are they different, cause everything i've seen says the only difference is the crest, which denotes gender.
pterdodon.jpg
ty8vjjzjoif11.jpg
2cb31091-aaca-4e1b-a511-e990b4083b03-jpeg.154788

The beak shape is fairly different, slightly hooked end on the Lost world one, JP3 ones have teeth of course (the beak is also only really keratinous/bird-like on the JW & Lost World ones). Pose wise the Lost World and JW ones are similar (though we've never seen either on the ground I think). The neck on the Lost world one seems longest. The wings on the Lost World one are more loose skinned and bat-like.

The problem is the JP3 ones have babies, it'd be a bit weird for the females to be offscreen the entire time. The fact of the matter is, the older Pteranodons were made before the dimorphism was known, so it's just best to leave it at that.

It also doesn't seem like breeding or males is a priority for the game

Top Bottom