Question for Fleet Carrier owners.

I have waited some time to let it all settle down.
Now though I am wondering how much Fleet Carriers have increased a players CR balance since they bought one ?
Mainly because I am wondering if its better to carry on mining or to switch to fleet carriers to increase earning potential when I return to playing Elite.

I don't need a FC for any other reason than to make credits as it offers nothing else I would need.
Thanks.

Now though I am wondering how much Fleet Carriers have increased a players CR balance since they bought one ?
Mainly because I am wondering if its better to carry on mining or to switch to fleet carriers to increase earning potential when I return to playing Elite.

I don't need a FC for any other reason than to make credits as it offers nothing else I would need.
Thanks.
In mining it allows you to store mined items untill High value sale day...
So instead of selling at 750K for painite you store it and watch the web sites till a higher price and high demand station shows up...~950K - 998K
This ONLY works if you can play that specific day... If you can not play that day of high sale you have then chucked that high sale chance away.
So this means random casual players with a FC that are not going to get a good pay day as the only days they can play may never have a good pay day...

If other people are in charge of when you can play, (real life issues) a FC for mining is not going to be very good for your mining. As you need to be available for when ever the high stations show up...

With FC you can set up a Buy order to take other peoples Mined items and then sell them at another HIgh sale day but this has the same catch as what you mine, you have to be available when the high price station shows up for the 2 days they are at high price and high demand...

If your not going to be able to play at those specific days then you going to be better off with out a FC... If you can arrange it so you can play any day but limited days per week you can make 200K+ extra per ton by having a FC to store what you and others mine...

Painite is the top Laser mined item..
VO are the top deep core item after LTD got nuke...
All others are lower paying now...

You mean AFTER the 5-some billion you have to spend to buy one and the hundreds of millions it costs to maintain? (maintenance cost can be about the same as buying a fully built Cutter once or twice a month if you actually move it around and use it to carry your fleet)

In mining it allows you to store mined items untill High value sale day...
So instead of selling at 750K for painite you store it and watch the web sites till a higher price and high demand station shows up...~950K - 998K
This ONLY works if you can play that specific day... If you can not play that day of high sale you have then chucked that high sale chance away.
So this means random casual players with a FC that are not going to get a good pay day as the only days they can play may never have a good pay day...

If other people are in charge of when you can play, (real life issues) a FC for mining is not going to be very good for your mining. As you need to be available for when ever the high stations show up...

With FC you can set up a Buy order to take other peoples Mined items and then sell them at another HIgh sale day but this has the same catch as what you mine, you have to be available when the high price station shows up for the 2 days they are at high price and high demand...

If your not going to be able to play at those specific days then you going to be better off with out a FC... If you can arrange it so you can play any day but limited days per week you can make 200K+ extra per ton by having a FC to store what you and others mine...

Painite is the top Laser mined item..
VO are the top deep core item after LTD got nuke...
All others are lower paying now...

I'd argue exactly the opposite way. With a FC at hand where you can store your minerals, you have better chances to hit the "max price" days when they come. Without a FC, you basically either have to wait for a max price day before you start mining or you have to sell the mined minerals for whatever price is available at that specific date. Additionally, without a FC you are dependent on other CMDRs with FCs for high distance sells (unless you're doing it the old way and leg it all the way to the selling station in your mining ship).

I don't mine very often, but I'd guestimate I made some 3 to 4 billion Credits that I wouldn't have made without a carrier. Simply because I can store my minerals at my carrier and can cut playing sessions short (because of RL reasons or boredom or whatever) and I can still sell the minerals later for max price. Or I can stock up on minerals until max price day and instead of selling 512t Painite for 750k per ton after one long mining session, I sell 1500t a few days later for 950k per ton

I made good credits in the first weeks after carriers introduction simply by buying cheap LTD and selling when the market was 1.6 millions.
But that went down the drain in about a month or so.
Also got at least 1.5bn from buying cheap tritium and selling it to the right buyers. This also wend down the drain with the market replenish changed.

IMO, get a carrier if you can really afford it, but make sure you have a solid balance because mining might get further nerfs

For example, i had 26-27 bn when carriers hit the market, by June 14th, on each of my both accounts.
So i could afford to get one as a vanity object - my personal mobile base.

If you can afford a Carrier, then why do you need to make more money?

You should be at the "I have all the credits I will ever need" stage by then. There is nothing else left to buy.

...Unless you have multiple accounts, and as a Carrier makes it easy to transfer cash between accounts, even then you will quickly reach the "I have nothing else left to buy except a second Carrier" stage.

I have three accounts and two Carriers. I have nothing else to spend my credits on... except a third Carrier.

(maintenance cost can be about the same as buying a fully built Cutter once or twice a month if you actually move it around and use it to carry your fleet)
What are you talking about?
You would need to jump 500 times a week to add 50mil to your weekly costs, which would end up at around 80mil if all services are on.

I'm paying around 12mil a week for mine. I'm earning more than that weekly and even if not, I have funds poured into it's bank to keep my carrier going for years (6 or more I think).

Thanks.

I suspect a lot of people will say "yes" simply cos, once they've bought an FC, they'll go mining to pay the upkeep and massively overdo it.

Let's face it, once you're making Cr200m/hr from mining, any extra income is just "make number go up".

Both of mine have Refuel/Repair/Armoury/Cartographics, and one has the Redemption Office. But I suspend them when I'm not using them. When not jumping, each costs just under 10 million per week in upkeep.

Because i didn't mined minerals (hate it), i did:
  • trading tritium
  • thargoid fights when AXI event was there
  • some stupids missions with s*** payouts in bubble (less than 2M or 10M for 60+ kills 😩 )
  • some good missions payouts at colonia but it ended too fast
  • sold exploration data when did bubble-> colonia-> odin's hold->galactic core-> odin's hold -> colonia -> bubble (no exploring, only looking for a way to get particles anomalies but they are totally bugged)

Finally, i got for sure less than 200M since FC release, paradoxaly it was thargoid period that got me lot of credits considering the low payouts!
I recently found an alternative way to make credits without mining but i keep it for myself (because of nerfs from people that never play their own game).
So i lost more money that i earn if i consider the tritium buying.
My only purpose for my FC is its storage capacity for research items (thargoid, guardians etc).

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator

Thanks.

Considering that it costs money to upkeep, you'd have to make more per week than the upkeep to fulfil your requirements.

That would depend on how and where you mine, I use my FC like a mobile space station, a place to store my fleet and additional equipment, you can also store anything that you mine easily.

I do most of my mining out in the black so have set up a couple of dedicated miners for different conditions, no need for weapons etc. If you also wanted to mine inside or close to the bubble then you could set up an armed miner.

Of course its nice to have a fully armed trader handy when selling goods.

It allows you to build up stockpiles of certain commodities that are often wanted on the mission board.

Running costs are not that bad as you don't need to fit such items as shipyard or outfitting for personal use and fuel is easily mined.

Thanks.
Fleet carriers affected my credit balance for worse by about 5.4 billion credits.

I don't expect mine to ever pay off monetary.
But I really learned to like some aspects of it, especially in Colonia where everything is a 10 tritium jump away from everything else.

edit
A fully outfitted carrier upkeep is 26.7 millions per week. Plus 100k per jump
IF you plan to use it mostly for yourself - you can skip the Shipyard and Outfitting - and the Upkeep goes down to 15 millions per week
That's what I did. I don't need those, so my carrier is lightweight (3300 Tritium to/from Colonia) and upkeep is 11+ million,
which is negligible.

Deleted member 182079

D
No offence to the OP, but threads like these are proper head scratchers for me.

If you have billions of credits and don't know what else to do with them? Buy an FC.

If you don't have enough and want to achieve other things first (like buying 10 Cutters), maybe don't.

Even if you don't think you'll need an FC, buy one anyways, you might be surprised. Worst case, you don't like it, just go ahead and sell it again.

These are not RL finance decisions. Do what you want, try things out - unlike in RL it's all pretty inconsequential. It's a game after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom