Question for frontier.....WHYYYY?!

I’ve tried - Lord knows I’ve tried - to warn FDev about the Raw Module Armour of the Imperial Cutter.

And now, here we are. I hope everyone is happy.

Because the community moaned when FDev wanted to implement diminishing returns for booster stacking.
Don't get me wrong here. I question most of FDev's design and balancing decisions but this part in particular is not their fault.
It's the community that was too incompetent to deal with competent ranked, unengineered NPCs without 13k MJs of shields.
Even though we did it before without engineers, the outcry was so loud that FDev canceled the plans for diminishing returns.

I was there, like some others. So FDev did what you would expect from a developer (and what they are NOT doing as of now): they listened to the community.
Granted, the community was totally split on this one but retaining the status quo in such a matter is probably the better way than to implement a change that just switches the preference from one side to another.

Last edited:
And if you try to fight in that thing with a pack of MetaDL's you'll still die or run.

The Cutter is just about enough to both run cargo and survive a player pack looking to pop haulers. Just about everything else configured for anything other than strict PvP combat will be difficult to survive a wing + groms. Of course with credits as they are now I see a lot of Cutters in the hands of newbs. Just follow the Youtube grind guide and a nice station evacuation and presto, you're a King.

the fact that you can have a ship with 7k+shield, 7k+ hull, 20ly jump range, boost at 476m/s, perma boost, AND have 60% module protection all at the same time

Reverb torpedoes
or a smart mix of ion/reverb mines, although the kinda high arming time makes them difficult to use against anyone that's not a pure noob.

Else that Cutter is not much different than a 3k prismo FDL 🤷‍♂️

Reverb torpedoes
or a smart mix of ion/reverb mines, although the kinda high arming time makes them difficult to use against anyone that's not a pure noob.

Else that Cutter is not much different than a 3k prismo FDL 🤷‍♂️
I occasionally run that combo on my smuggler build. Lots of fun when they hit, but it's a challenge I haven't come close to mastering.

Is it the orange colour scheme the OP is so upset about?

I could get behind that.
It's always struck me as a bit irritating to have orange HUDs when we spend so much time staring at orange stars.
And, I mean, we have canopies that can prevent our eyeballs getting fried, provide NV and superimpose navigational data.

Is it really beyond the creators of these canopies to create a UI that can display things in a contrasting colour?

WHY, FRONTIER? WHHHYYYY????

I seem to remember a major tech company doing a study about how orange is the best (most readable?) color on black. I could be misremembering, but I've always wondered if that's why Fdev went with such a meh color for basically every system.

Anyways, you can always use EDHM - it takes a bit of work to set up, but it's remarkably in depth (and even if Fdev gives us an option to change HUD color, I can't imagine they'll have a system that allows one to customize to the extent that EDHM allows).

So if you can take out Hydras with that ship, shouldn't you be looking to increase the difficulty by using a smaller ship?

Or is this something about not liking what other players are flying? I wouldn't be holding my breath for a rebalance of engineering anyway.

And if you try to fight in that thing with a pack of MetaDL's you'll still die or run.

The Cutter is just about enough to both run cargo and survive a player pack looking to pop haulers. Just about everything else configured for anything other than strict PvP combat will be difficult to survive a wing + groms. Of course with credits as they are now I see a lot of Cutters in the hands of newbs. Just follow the Youtube grind guide and a nice station evacuation and presto, you're a King.

Me escaping a wing of 4 (so sad I can not do naming and shaming on this 'top tier' ganker) in a 784 cargo cutter last CG cause someone equipped Force shells. Made it to 884 m/s and got out with 4% hull

:ROFLMAO:

And a shot powerplant and fsd

Last edited:
Top Bottom