Question for frontier.....WHYYYY?!

Not sure what you mean. Though I do see that you need to set your power priorities.

As is, your power plant takes much in the way of damage and everything shuts down.

Andromeda

That's the stiffened form of my bird. Had decent success with her and other commanders but several mediums are still probably going to send me packing. I'm not quite to G5 on everything and still missing a few experimentals. Worst nightmare is really someone with a lot of phasing. That shield tank works in their favor the whole time if I can't take them out. Guy in a phasing Anaconda almost got me when I was not paying attention to hull during the fight.

Fighting the big 3 is slow and ponderous. But that's sorta the niche for them.

Sure it has tons of defense. And it's quick...But reverb and a few other tricks will cut it up in a hurry. Besides, for a billion+ credit ship, I would expect it to excel at something.
literally everything out runs reverb cascade torps. They go 250m/s the only thing that you'd be "worried" about are mines and if you know what to do you'll look at the build and be like "ok" and just fly around the fact they have mines

I feel this needs to be here.

CoolHappyKissingbug-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:
Is it just me looking at this Cutter going "man, that looks so useless".

Sure, it's perhaps OP at combat. I won't disagree with that. But it's a literal one- trick pony.

Can it DSS to locate surface features? No.
Can it refuel without a station? No.
Can it interdict? No.
Can it haul anything? No.
Can it hatch break? No.
Can it interact with megaships? Barely.
You get the point. There's certainly a takeaway from this though; that these sorts of considerations can be considered entirely negligible is more indictful of the state of the game than the state of this cutter.

And besides... surely this is nothing some reverb torps and a powerplant kill couldn't fix? Or thermal shock?

This is the problem with being an FT-warrior...

Last edited:
I seem to remember a major tech company doing a study about how orange is the best (most readable?) color on black.
The default HUD color scheme is indeed quite optimal for prolonged use in the black.
Going with it for station interfaces and such is probably just a consequence.

That’s throughout the game. That cargo Python, can it win a CZ? Can it fight a Thargoid? Can it pick up bootleg liquor? Can it DSS a surface?

If it can do those things it has to sacrifice efficiency. And to do many of them well, a lot of efficiency.

PvP can be nothing else if it wants to win many encounters. Its baked into the game.

Just like the title says....WHY?! WHY DO YOU ALLOW THIS FRONTIER?!

https://s.orbis.zone/gqoe

fa5499c0c9728798459f7768f6356656.png
If you're only interested in surviving a fight, I suppose it's a good ship. Otherwise, it seems rather boring. Can't do bounties, can't carry cargo, can't go planetside, can't interdict, can't launch a fighter, it turns like a whale without boosting, can't jump much distance. It only does joust-style combat. I play this game to have fun, not fly a boat in combat.

Wait until they find out about Engineering... ;)
This thread is about 5 years late late to the discussion.
Could be why some don't know why it's here or what it's about.

I think Sandro was suggesting maybe having diminishing returns after... 4, if I remember?
But yeah, I think they have it as a minor way to deal with the crazy power scaling.

Much to my lament sometimes, it isn't 3301 any more, and hasn't been for a while. 🤷‍♂️

Cheers.

Last edited:
Wait until they find out about Engineering... ;)
This thread is about 5 years late late to the discussion.
Could be why some don't know why it's here or what it's about.

I think Sandro was suggesting maybe having diminishing returns after... 4, if I remember?
But yeah, I think they have it as a minor way to deal with the crazy power scaling.
I remember ages ago looking at shield booster resistance upgrades and thinking "Well, that seems pretty minor", thinking the resistance was applied to the shield booster's HP contribution, not the whole damn ship.

i.e Assume all resists are base 0%... base thermal EHP of 1000 and base shield booster.. err.. boost... of 200 HP, and G5 thermal engineering affording +40% thermal resist, that it would become:
Thermal EHP with unengineered booster = 1000 + 200 = 1200
Thermal EHP with one G5 thermal engineered booster = 1000 base + 280 (i.e 200 + 200*.4) = 1280

not
Thermal EHP with one G5 thermal engineered booster = (1000 + 200) + (1000+200)*0.4 = 1680

Is it just me looking at this Cutter going "man, that looks so useless".

Sure, it's perhaps OP at combat. I won't disagree with that. But it's a literal one- trick pony.

Can it DSS to locate surface features? No.
Can it refuel without a station? No.
Can it interdict? No.
Can it haul anything? No.
Can it hatch break? No.
Can it interact with megaships? Barely.
You get the point. There's certainly a takeaway from this though; that these sorts of considerations can be considered entirely negligible is more indictful of the state of the game than the state of this cutter.

And besides... surely this is nothing some reverb torps and a powerplant kill couldn't fix? Or thermal shock?

This is the problem with being an FT-warrior...
So you want to bring all of that up without realizing that if you try to build a ship for everything at once you build a ship that is very bad at everything at once. You must build the ship for a given task at the time. Your not going to really have a fuel scoop a refinery and a detailed surface scanner on a ship that is going into a high intensity conflict zone.

Edit: Thermal shock caps out at 90% and Reverb torps literally can be out run by everything in the game it goes 250m/s

If you're only interested in surviving a fight, I suppose it's a good ship. Otherwise, it seems rather boring. Can't do bounties, can't carry cargo, can't go planetside, can't interdict, can't launch a fighter, it turns like a whale without boosting, can't jump much distance. It only does joust-style combat. I play this game to have fun, not fly a boat in combat.
same response to the other guy, you do not build a ship to do everything at once because it'll be bad at everything at once. The point of this is to show how absolutely stupid someone can make this cutter and ask frontier why this is allowed. Turning is barely that important in t his game, it can still go 20ly while STILL being weighed down by everything it has. Stick a fighter bay on it and it can and still have a STUPID amount of hull AND shield Yes the cutter can actually interdict, ive done it multiple times. Its easier to interdict than to escape an interdiction.

Top Bottom