Question - I haven't played the game in about a year

Question - I decided to try to get a Guardian blueprint since apparently I need Guardian weapons to fight Thargoids. I got 3 ancient keys without any problem but the next step was too difficult. I obtained one guardian relic but wasn't able to figure out the map. I returned to the station where I have my Anaconda - pure combat ship - thinking I would simply change from the explorer to the anaconda but since the anaconda has no cargo racks I can't just park the explorer and switch to the Anaconda. Is there any way to store the keys and the relic or is my only option to get rid of the keys and relic?

Question - I decided to try to get a Guardian blueprint since apparently I need Guardian weapons to fight Thargoids. I got 3 ancient keys without any problem but the next step was too difficult. I obtained one guardian relic but wasn't able to figure out the map. I returned to the station where I have my Anaconda - pure combat ship - thinking I would simply change from the explorer to the anaconda but since the anaconda has no cargo racks I can't just park the explorer and switch to the Anaconda. Is there any way to store the keys and the relic or is my only option to get rid of the keys and relic?

There is still no way to store cargo outside of your current ship, so if you want to switch to a ship without cargo racks, you have to get rid of any commodities in your hold first, sorry.
Like I said up there, you still can combat Scouts without the need for guardian tech (iirc even the smaller Interceptors can be bested using AX weapons only, but it's quite difficult).

I wouldn't bother with the ancient keys and the corresponding Guardian sites at first, as they only unlock the guardian SLFs which aren't that good tbh, you can unlock those later.
The best guardian module for general use is without a doubt the FSD booster. The shield reinforcement is also quite useful for certain builds.
Like I said, the meta weapon against Interceptors still is the Gauss Cannon, so you should try to unlock that one first if you want to prioritise anti-Thargoid combat.

Finding your way around the guardian sites can be confusing at first, heck, it still is for me sometimes even after unlocking several blueprints. You should watch some videos about unlocking guardian tech to understand the layout (try CMDR Exigeous' channel).

Last edited:
There is still no way to store cargo outside of your current ship, so if you want to switch to a ship without cargo racks, you have to get rid of any commodities in your hold first, sorry.
Like I said up there, you still can combat Scouts without the need for guardian tech (iirc even the smaller Interceptors can be bested using AX weapons only, but it's quite difficult).

I wouldn't bother with the ancient keys and the corresponding Guardian sites at first, as they only unlock the guardian SLFs which aren't that good tbh, you can unlock those later.
The best guardian module for general use is without a doubt the FSD booster. The shield reinforcement is also quite useful for certain builds.
Like I said, the meta weapon against Interceptors still is the Gauss Cannon, so you should try to unlock that one first if you want to prioritise anti-Thargoid combat.

Finding your way around the guardian sites can be confusing at first, heck, it still is for me sometimes even after unlocking several blueprints. You should watch some videos about unlocking guardian tech to understand the layout (try CMDR Exigeous' channel).

Thanks - is there a list of which sites give the FSD booster, shield reinforcement and Gauss Cannon? I'll try it again after I mine more material to reload the turret.

I watched some videos but many don't give an overview of what to do. I thought the keys were needed to get FSD booster and Gauss Cannon. Apparently not.

Thanks - is there a list of which sites give the FSD booster, shield reinforcement and Gauss Cannon? I'll try it again after I mine more material to reload the turret.

I watched some videos but many don't give an overview of what to do. I thought the keys were needed to get FSD booster and Gauss Cannon. Apparently not.

There are only three different types of blueprints; for modules, weapons and vessels. Take a look at how many of each blueprint/material/data you'll need to gather on your trip to unlock everything you want. You can see the requirements at stations where an (Alien) Technology Broker is located, or just look it up at websites like Inara. The recipe for unlocking one piece of Guardian tech usually consists of one blueprint, several units of collected Guardian Materials and Data, and some units of a rare commodity (get these last). You only need to unlock each module once, afterwards you'll be always able to buy them from any station that stocks them.

A quick search unearthed several unlocking guides, e.g.:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/simple-guide-for-unlocking-all-of-the-guardian-tech.437846/

www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/8uxkma/simple_guardian_guide_weapons_and_blueprints/

For grinding any missing Obelisk Pattern Data I'd visit Ancient Ruins (those differ from Guardian Sites) as mentioned in the second link, after collecting the blueprints and all the other materials you need from the Guardian Sites.

Last edited:
Extra to the out of date guides as they were posted before lastest update = you can avoid collecting guardian Materials in SRVs and collect in Space with collector limpets in degraded emission USS level zero versions...
No Driving required for mats only data and blueprints require SRVs...

How do the new ships compare to the previous ships? Is there are fighter that can match a modded anaconda?

How do the new ships compare to the previous ships? Is there are fighter that can match a modded anaconda?
Depends on the pilot (always) and engineering...

The Kraits and the Alliance ships are very capable boats. The Krait Mk2 seems to be the people’s champion at the moment...

The Mamba seems to be struggling to capture people’s interest.

On a personal note though, I can kill faster/longer in my Anaconda than I can in any of the current medium ships. I seem to be going through a second romance with this ship at the moment...

I gathered as much when you said "I enjoyed engineering my current ship..." in your previous post, as that's a Horizons feature. Engineering has become less RNG than in its first iteration too, so the "rolling something special" you mentioned doesn't exist anymore, it's predictable now and the maximal end results are the same for everyone. Old engineered modules count as "legacy" modules and need to be converted before you can further engineer them. For the most part the new mechanics are superior, but there are some fringe cases where modules from the original system are still better.

Question - I got some really good rolls on my current engineered anaconda. Is there a way to tell before I convert and further engineer them whether it will be an improvement? Also if I re-engineer them do I have to go through the same process of acquiring stuff and visiting the specific engineer again?

Question - I got some really good rolls on my current engineered anaconda. Is there a way to tell before I convert and further engineer them whether it will be an improvement? Also if I re-engineer them do I have to go through the same process of acquiring stuff and visiting the specific engineer again?

You can look at the max values for each grade of a blueprint either at the respective engineer or at sites like Inara, then compare those with your current values to decide if the module is worth keeping. Converting a legacy module to the new system can be done at the engineer (and I believe also remotely via the pinned blueprints) and decreases the engineering grade by one, so you'd have to invest the materials and data to e. g. get the old G5 module up to G5 again.

Note that you'll need to run the engineering process several times especially at the higher grades to get into the top percentages of that grade and be able to advance to the next one. To explain further: Under the new system you always start at G1 for each unengineered module and have to advance through the grades by running the process several times, where the amount of progress each run rewards you is RNG to some degree.

I wouldn’t worry too much, all of my new mods were better than they were with the old system.

You’ll probably find that to be the case with most things, aside from maybe some weirdo weapon secondaries, or the odd shield generator that might be a tiny bit better.

Other things you've missed also include

• The weekly taxi to the Guardian sites
  • Codex (List of things to find in each of the 42 Galactic regions) and Players Handbook (How to do things)
  • Beginner zone (that is permit locked to anyone with any form of rank to prevent seal clubbing)
  • A whole load of Commanders are currently on the other side of the Universe returning from the Mass Distant Worlds event
  • There is a new SpaceStation - Explorers Anchorage, sat a few light years from Sagittarius A
  • A couple of new ships which you may / may not have been able to access when you stopped. (Krait, Krait Phantom, Mamba) - although still no Cobra MkIV on PS4.

Two other new engineering mechanics are,

1. You can pin one blueprint from each engineer. This allows you to engineer that module on any ship at any station that has outfitting.
2. You can add experimental effects to any module. You can choose which experimental effect you want and they can be added to all kinds of modules, not just weapons. You can only add experimentals at an engineer base. Basically the roulette wheel is gone.

You can look at the max values for each grade of a blueprint either at the respective engineer or at sites like Inara, then compare those with your current values to decide if the module is worth keeping. Converting a legacy module to the new system can be done at the engineer (and I believe also remotely via the pinned blueprints) and decreases the engineering grade by one, so you'd have to invest the materials and data to e. g. get the old G5 module up to G5 again.

Note that you'll need to run the engineering process several times especially at the higher grades to get into the top percentages of that grade and be able to advance to the next one. To explain further: Under the new system you always start at G1 for each unengineered module and have to advance through the grades by running the process several times, where the amount of progress each run rewards you is RNG to some degree.

Thanks - would my current modded modules start from where they are and then improve or would they start at G1?

Other things you've missed also include

• The weekly taxi to the Guardian sites
  • Codex (List of things to find in each of the 42 Galactic regions) and Players Handbook (How to do things)
  • Beginner zone (that is permit locked to anyone with any form of rank to prevent seal clubbing)
  • A whole load of Commanders are currently on the other side of the Universe returning from the Mass Distant Worlds event
  • There is a new SpaceStation - Explorers Anchorage, sat a few light years from Sagittarius A
  • A couple of new ships which you may / may not have been able to access when you stopped. (Krait, Krait Phantom, Mamba) - although still no Cobra MkIV on PS4.
Thanks - I'm strictly PvE until and unless I see a reason change. Good information.

Two other new engineering mechanics are,

1. You can pin one blueprint from each engineer. This allows you to engineer that module on any ship at any station that has outfitting.
2. You can add experimental effects to any module. You can choose which experimental effect you want and they can be added to all kinds of modules, not just weapons. You can only add experimentals at an engineer base. Basically the roulette wheel is gone.
Ability to pin one blueprint from each engineer is fantastic. Saves time having to travel to each engineer. Experimental effects also sounds interesting.

Thanks - would my current modded modules start from where they are and then improve or would they start at G1?

Maybe I phrased it badly, if you convert old engineered modules to the new system they drop by one grade.

And like Cknarf said, the new system almost always produces better results than the old one did, bar some very special cases, the most notable one being shield generators with an increased "maximum hull mass" secondary that would e. g. allow you to equip a size 5 shield gen on the Cutter. Another one that comes to mind are the god rolled PAs that some PvPers still use.

Update - got 4 guardian module blueprints. Unlocked FSD drive boost. It makes a difference. I'm getting 40+ LY on an unmodded explorer although I was surprised it was an option and not core. Are there any other blueprints which are additions and not replacements?

Top Bottom