Question - I haven't played the game in about a year

Update - got 4 guardian module blueprints. Unlocked FSD drive boost. It makes a difference. I'm getting 40+ LY on an unmodded explorer although I was surprised it was an option and not core. Are there any other blueprints which are additions and not replacements?

The only core components available as a guardian variant are power plant and power distributor, anything else is for optional slots or hardpoints. I'd recommend getting the shield reinforcement next,which is an optional module that bolsters your shields by a fixed amount depending on its size, similar to an HRP.

The only core components available as a guardian variant are power plant and power distributor, anything else is for optional slots or hardpoints. I'd recommend getting the shield reinforcement next,which is an optional module that bolsters your shields by a fixed amount depending on its size, similar to an HRP.

Thanks - shield reinforcement is on the list but I need the ingredients.

Question. My huge hardpoint on the anaconda is a multicannon with long range combined with corrosive and -7% thermal which seems to be an effective combination. If I add an experimental mod to a huge multicannon does it allow for that same result?

Question. My huge hardpoint on the anaconda is a multicannon with long range combined with corrosive and -7% thermal which seems to be an effective combination. If I add an experimental mod to a huge multicannon does it allow for that same result?

What do you mean by "-7% thermal", reduced thermal load? For projectile weapons the thermal load is somewhat negligible compared to that of energy weapons. And since the corrosive experimental is just an on/off debuff on the enemy's armour and comes with a reduced ammo cap (in the overhauled engineering system at least), it's usually best practice to fit one of the small hardpoints with a gimballed MC engineered for high capacity / corrosive just to apply the effect.
Due to the travel time of projectiles, long range modding imho is a waste of firepower on MCs; I'd put an overcharged/auto-loader effect on the huge MC instead and use it to gut opponents at close/medium range. To effectively take down shields, you should then fit most of your other hardpoints with thermal weapons. In case of the Anaconda I'd take the hardpoint locations into consideration and fit the lower two class 3/4 ones with MCs and the topside ones with lasers, supplemented by special effect weapons in the small ones.

What do you mean by "-7% thermal", reduced thermal load? For projectile weapons the thermal load is somewhat negligible compared to that of energy weapons. And since the corrosive experimental is just an on/off debuff on the enemy's armour and comes with a reduced ammo cap (in the overhauled engineering system at least), it's usually best practice to fit one of the small hardpoints with a gimballed MC engineered for high capacity / corrosive just to apply the effect.
Due to the travel time of projectiles, long range modding imho is a waste of firepower on MCs; I'd put an overcharged/auto-loader effect on the huge MC instead and use it to gut opponents at close/medium range. To effectively take down shields, you should then fit most of your other hardpoints with thermal weapons. In case of the Anaconda I'd take the hardpoint locations into consideration and fit the lower two class 3/4 ones with MCs and the topside ones with lasers, supplemented by special effect weapons in the small ones.
That's interesting.

My weapons loadout is one huge gimballed multicannon with long rand and corrosive.
2 large gimballed multicannons both with short range blaster with one also having auto loader.

The other 5 weapons are all pulse lasers to take down shields.

Large pulse laser with phasing sequence and mass reduction, power draw reduction and distributor draw reduction.
Medium pulse laser with thermal shock with mass reduction and thermal load reduction.
Medium pulse laser with scramble spectrum with thermal load reduction, maximum range increase.
2 unmodded lvl 1 pulse lasers.

Shields don't last long against those lasers although it does take time to finish off opponents after shields go down. There is a 56% increase in shot speed on the huge multicannon and it is an advantage against other anacondas and tough ships to be able to sit at long range and bang on the hull with the huge multicannon. How would you adjust that loadout? Would you leave the large gimballed multicanons on short range blaster and change the huge to overcharged/auto loader?

A reminder this is the old modded stuff from a year ago. I'm working on modding another huge multicannon but it isn't as good as the old one yet. Can I add experimental to an old already modded weapon without removing the old mods?

I'm always interesting in more informed opinions.

Last edited:
Any module that was engineered under the old system needs to be converted to the new one before doing any additional engineering to it, this includes experimental effects.
Generally, if you have the time and incentive and do fly the Anaconda into combat often, I'd suggest to actually convert and G5 all of your modules (or engineer new ones from scratch), since the result is almost always superior.

Can't say much more about your weapons loadout, a healthy mix of lasers and MCs is always a viable combination for PvE though. Which engineering to choose depends more on your playstyle and the ship you're flying, but generally, like I said, (projectile) weapons with travel time are increasingly prone to miss over longer ranges, and the damage of a shell with an increased (falloff) range is still zero if it doesn't hit. I'd even say in most situations overcharged is the way to go for MCs, but YMMV. Same goes for the Autoloader experimental, you only need Corrosive on (a small) one and I'd only use Incendiary if I had no additional thermal weapons fitted.

With the lasers you should experiment a bit, for example, I like a mix of turreted long range medium pulses or bursts (to deal with the small fry), and large efficient/thermal vent gimballed beams on my capital ships.

You know coriolis.io? It's a great site to plan your ship builds.

And for finishing off large opponents like other Anacondas, try sub-targeting the power plant, the huge MC will take it down in no time if you manage to get your angle right.

Any module that was engineered under the old system needs to be converted to the new one before doing any additional engineering to it, this includes experimental effects.
Generally, if you have the time and incentive and do fly the Anaconda into combat often, I'd suggest to actually convert and G5 all of your modules (or engineer new ones from scratch), since the result is almost always superior.

Can't say much more about your weapons loadout, a healthy mix of lasers and MCs is always a viable combination for PvE though. Which engineering to choose depends more on your playstyle and the ship you're flying, but generally, like I said, (projectile) weapons with travel time are increasingly prone to miss over longer ranges, and the damage of a shell with an increased (falloff) range is still zero if it doesn't hit. I'd even say in most situations overcharged is the way to go for MCs, but YMMV. Same goes for the Autoloader experimental, you only need Corrosive on (a small) one and I'd only use Incendiary if I had no additional thermal weapons fitted.

With the lasers you should experiment a bit, for example, I like a mix of turreted long range medium pulses or bursts (to deal with the small fry), and large efficient/thermal vent gimballed beams on my capital ships.

You know coriolis.io? It's a great site to plan your ship builds.

And for finishing off large opponents like other Anacondas, try sub-targeting the power plant, the huge MC will take it down in no time if you manage to get your angle right.
Thanks. I'm in the process of getting the multicannons all to lvl 5 overcharged. One large with corrosive and the other large and huge with auto loader. Once I get them all maxed out I'll work on the lasers and then other modules and hull. It's been a while but my memory is I went with pulse lasers to deal with problem of heat.

A great addition is the material trader.

It's been a while but my memory is I went with pulse lasers to deal with problem of heat.

The main problem with beam vs pulse/burst is the beams' massive distributor draw, which is why I go with efficient ones most of the time (only sometimes I use LR). The heat problem on beams can be rectified by the "thermal vent" experimental; I own ships where the canopy actually freezes over while I'm consistently hitting enemies.

The main problem with beam vs pulse/burst is the beams' massive distributor draw, which is why I go with efficient ones most of the time (only sometimes I use LR). The heat problem on beams can be rectified by the "thermal vent" experimental; I own ships where the canopy actually freezes over while I'm consistently hitting enemies.
That's cool - and you take down shields faster with those beams than pulse would?

That's cool - and you take down shields faster with those beams than pulse would?

Yes, the DPS of beams is higher than that of pulses (bursts sit somewhere in between), but at the cost of a much higher power draw/dristributor draw/heat generation, that's why I usually offset them with efficient/thermal vent.

While you can usually slap pulses on any build without much thought, the high distributor draw of beam lasers requires a bit more careful planning of your loadout, some trigger discipline, and the willingness to regularly adjust your pips in battle; else you'll often be sitting there with a drained distributor doing little damage (of course this depends on your weapons' draw in relation to your ship's power systems). Beam lasers are also the better choice if you want to run fixed weapons, as they're hitscan you can always see where you're hitting.

First of all thanks for the help from this forum. Here is an update.
58367280-b646-11e9-8f7e-0aac65646b1a.jpg

Top Bottom