Question regarding faction expansion range

So, it's my understanding that expansion range is 20ly. If there is no system available within 20ly, the expansion fails and the faction enters the investment state. The next expansion is boosted by 10ly, to a total of 30ly. What happens if that is still not enough? Does 10ly keep getting added until a eligible system is within range?

Last edited:
Expansion choses a system within a cube that has 20ly long sides with the expanding system in the middle of the cube. Inara.cz will show you this cube so for example > https://inara.cz/starsystem/367/ > NEAREST INHABITED SYSTEMS is this cube.

Now Investment hasn't been tied to expansion for years now. Investment is just a normal Economy state that's above Boom. If you fail an expansion it just fails and idk if the increased range is then applied. Someone needs to chime in on that for me.

Ah, okay. Wiki still has investment tied to a failed expansion. It's what I'm going off of and it does say that a failed expansion will then be increased by 10ly next time, but it doesn't say whether or not it stacks over repeated failures.

No staking. If an extended expansion fails, the system goes on a naughty list, and will be lower priority to be chosen than systems not on the naughty list.
It's stronger than that - if the extended expansion fails, that faction can never expand from that system again [1]. (There's a one-system faction out here in that state)

[1] Or at least, if there is a way to unstick it, no-one knows it.

Wiki still has investment tied to a failed expansion
The Wiki is great for a lot of things, but no-one maintains the BGS pages there - that particular bit of info is over four years out of date!

(I'm not sure there's any particularly good resources to recommend to you - there are some more recent ones but they're also wrong about some key things)

(I'm not sure there's any particularly good resources to recommend to you - there are some more recent ones but they're also wrong about some key things)
the ressource to recommend is this suborum in my experience - reading threads and asking, and the people answering.

the ressource to recommend is this suborum in my experience - reading threads and asking, and the people answering.
Certainly (or the BGS discord) for specifics - there probably is a gap for a "basics" introduction which gives you an idea of what questions to ask without getting key points wrong, though.

Certainly (or the BGS discord) for specifics - there probably is a gap for a "basics" introduction which gives you an idea of what questions to ask without getting key points wrong, though.
problem always was and will be to keep it updated with changes happening in the background without patchnotes (for exampel the change to invasion mechanics after FC update). but if you do it, i'm sure i will refer to it :)

Top Bottom