Questions About Asset Transfer

Like I said, I'd probably just use the PS4 version for special occasions like a PS4 reunion, etc.

Well I’ll still be here and ready for a PS4 reunion should you migrate. Someone’s gotta keep that flag waving and I promise to keep you informed of any direct PS4 changes....

I had my anticipated hiatus for 6 months earlier this year. Just fatigued from the game back in January plus some family things happened.... Since coming back I’m enjoying the game more than ever, and I’ve finally found my niche. I didn’t know what it was until early July.

Really have to put a lot of time and effort into this game to get the rewards, which is difficult when life happens.

Commander earthtone99 out.

o7

I moved to PC but kept the PS4 account. I didn't consider doing an asset transfer. It's good to have both accounts progressing since I can use one to e.g. go exploring for months and the other for BGS stuff in the bubble.

I do try to purchase ships on one platform that I don't have on the other.

The engineer and Empire/Fed grind is my main bug bear.

* I'm hoping that cross play will arrive in the not to distant future. *

* I'm hoping that cross play will arrive in the not to distant future. *
This would be great. One of the reasons I'm considering PC is the more active player base. Unfortunately I don't think cross-play would give us cross-platform access to our CMDRs. In other words, I don't think I'll ever be able to fly as CMDR OneOldDuck on PC. I wonder, is this Sony's fault? I'd bet a Void Opal that it is. Stupid Sony..

I wouldn't bother with a credit only transfer. My main account is still lost somewhere between the Void and Sag A*, so I started a new one to participate in the IIs. Once you've been through it, doing it all again is dead easy - credits, ranks, engineers. All of it.

This would be great. One of the reasons I'm considering PC is the more active player base. Unfortunately I don't think cross-play would give us cross-platform access to our CMDRs. In other words, I don't think I'll ever be able to fly as CMDR OneOldDuck on PC. I wonder, is this Sony's fault? I'd bet a Void Opal that it is. Stupid Sony..

You wouldn't need Cross Play for that, just Cross Save. Other games do that (Fornite) or are in the process of doing that (Destiny 2) so it's not Sony stopping it. As with all these issues, it comes back to FDev simply not being prepared to put the effort into doing something.

As you rightly say it's Sony's fault. ((I'd pay you that Void Opal, but you're not on PS4 these days! ;)) About 3 years ago, Micro$oft asked for cross platform play in Rocket League & Minecraft, but Sony refused on the grounds that they were protecting their younger players. Repeating this a year later when Fortnite cross play as touted. Hm... However, there was an open beta for Fortnite PS4 cross play last year, but I don't know the current state of play (ha ha!) on that.

Personally, I think it's pay back because Micro$oft refused to allow PS4 and Xpox cross play a round a decade ago. when Sony requested it. Back then Micro$oft were a dominant force, but these days Sony are out selling the XBones.

I wonder, is this Sony's fault? I'd bet a Void Opal that it is. Stupid Sony..
Not anymore. Most new games coming out now have cross-plat multi. The upcoming COD has it and I believe Borderlands 3 has it. Plus a lot of F2P have it now like Dauntless. So nowadays it's the game dev being lazy more than Sony saying no.

You wouldn't need Cross Play for that, just Cross Save. Other games do that (Fornite) or are in the process of doing that (Destiny 2) so it's not Sony stopping it. As with all these issues, it comes back to FDev simply not being prepared to put the effort into doing something.

Isn't the profile saved to the FD servers? Ignoring for a moment the decision to force PS4 players to use their PSN ID as the CMDR, surely it would be possible to allow CMDRs to have only one profile that is shared over all platforms they play on..

Last edited:
hey guys,,

I played on the "PC" version originally as a Mac / OSX user, before the PS4 version launched. Then started on PS4 as I had a bunch of existing friends all wanting to start it too. PS4 became my main game, as FDev dropped OSX support and my little MacBook Air couldn't realistically partition to bootcamp, so my "PC" account was idle.

thanks..:)

Isn't the profile saved to the FD servers? Ignoring for a moment the decision to force PS4 players to use their PSN ID as the CMDR, surely it would be possible to allow CMDRs to have only profile that is shared over all platforms they play on..

Yes it would be possible. The lack of cross save / cross platform progression support isn't because of technical reasons, it's purely because of political reasons.

Yes it would be possible. The lack of cross save / cross platform progression support isn't because of technical reasons, it's purely because of political reasons.
True, but it looks like the tide is turning. I just found an article from a couple of weeks ago that says Sony have caved on this and some games will be getting it soon.

Not that this will matter to us since FD have clearly given up on the PS4 version.

True, but it looks like the tide is turning. I just found an article from a couple of weeks ago that says Sony have caved on this and some games will be getting it soon.

The tide turned a long time ago. The ball is firmly in FDev's court and it's been there for some time.

Crazy as it sounds, I've been enjoying being poor again. Being short on materials, well that's a different story, but an asset transfer wouldn't have helped with that.

Yes it's refreshing to have only small challenges for a while. Doesn't last long though.

I just have to wonder how to interpret the play time statistics as reported by the game. I calculated the weeks and the days and everything to total around 900hrs on PS4 before I jumped ship. By then I had most of the Engineers unlocked and a semi-decent small fleet of ships, with the most important modules engineered to varying degrees. Now I'm at 400hrs as per Steam's log on PC, but I feel I'm way further in game. Some fully engineered murderboats and a few allrounders, all Engineers that are in any way useful are G5 unlocked, and I've even had the idle time to check out some Guardian stuff as well.

I knew it would be easier the second time around, but aside from the few tedious Engineers (Palin's 5kLy, the 50 system trading network, and the few rare commodity donations) the world's been my oyster a while now. Now all I can do is hone my PvP skills and make some money in preparation for the epeen carrier.

As I understand it, Frontier offers a one-time transfer of credits from one account to another. My questions about this are:

1) Does this need to happen when starting a new CMDR save, or can I do this at any time? For example, if I start a new CMDR on PC and leave my PS4 CMDR untouched, then at a later date decide that I want a fleet carrier and can really use the credits from my PS4 account, can I get those credits transferred over even though I've made progress on my PC account?

2) Does the credit transfer take in account our physical assets (ships and modules), or should I liquefy those assets myself before requesting a transfer? Specifically, will it automatically convert the value of all my ships into credits? If so, is this based on the value of the ship or the sales price? If the latter, then I suspect it would be wiser to sell the ships myself, first selling the modules to get the best value.

3) Transferring credits from PS4 to PC will completely wipe out my PS4 CMDR save, yes? I'll still be in the game, but as a Harmless Sidewinder CMDR, IIRC.

When I transferred from PC to PS4, I actually did nothing, Frontier took the total value of all my assets and then transferred them to my PS4 Commander in credits. So i started with a new pilot with zero rep, albeit a rich one. Hope it helps

A nice fellow gave me 70 void opals, which made me close to 120 million credits richer. That was enough to buy and outfit my beloved Type-7 with change to spare. I've got to go do some mining myself now, to unlock Selene, so that should earn me enough to get the two ships I'm missing from my "BGS Fleet" - a Type-9 and a FDS.

I'm a minimalist, even more so this time around, thus I'll only have a small handful of ships when all said and done. Anyway, the real grind isn't the credits, it's rebuilding my material stockpile and unlocking these engineers.

When I switched to PC from PS4 I left my "oh, look I can fly space ships and trade!" account there. And started new one with assets earned by from killing NPCs. Well, I admit that I did void opal mining couple days, and elte trader because of it. But still that's not that much.

When I moved to PC, I was already double Elite on XBOX and had every ship at the time, so had no desire to wipe that account just to get the credits.

While I don't see myself getting the next XBOX (or PS5,) I still occasionally play with my grandson on XBOX and who knows, maybe on day we'll get around to Elite (we're working on Destiny 1 atm)

As far as cross play and cross save, I don't think we'll ever see either. But if we do get one, I think cross play would happen first seeing the benefits it would bring to Fdev to have everyone playing on the same "open" server.

As far as cross play and cross save, I don't think we'll ever see either. But if we do get one, I think cross play would happen first seeing the benefits it would bring to Fdev to have everyone playing on the same "open" server.
Right now I'd be happy to have an export tool for my Holome and Bookmarks. Right now I'm using my PS4 account mainly for referencing bookmarks as the need arises.

Top Bottom