Newcomer / Intro Questions about mining

So, my refinery (I think 3A, maybe 4? - it has 7 slots) works very slowly at times. The ore is at 100% and it just won't refine, sometimes for a pretty long time, while my drones bore themselves to death - literally. Also, When I liberate an extra slot for an ore I'm mining at high speed, sometimes it won't be used effectively and remains empty for a while - again, with drones waiting and being idle.

Lastly, I've heard a lot of talking about Painite being really profitable but I now know from my own experience that even Osmium, which comes with a lower avg selling price, can be sold for a lot more cash than Painite.
I won't even talk about Monazite.
Did I give too much about rumors or am I missing something?

By the way, to all new players: If you want to be a millionaire quick, go do some mining. The ASP Explorer (maybe also the Scout) is a great ship for that enterprise...

The only reason why a full hopper wouldn't refine the ore I can think of is a full cargo bay.
Isn't it possible that the refinery waits at 100% hoppers until your limpets "bore themselves to death" and when you launch new ones the refinery miraculously starts working again? ('cause you freed some cargo space by launching the limpets) ;)

Can't really comment on the selling prices. I mine to relax and sell at the first port that offers a price any amount above the galactic average. I couldn't be bothered spending days by searching for the "best" price.
It's mining. Anything above zero is profit. :)

The only reason why a full hopper wouldn't refine the ore I can think of is a full cargo bay.
Isn't it possible that the refinery waits at 100% hoppers until your limpets "bore themselves to death" and when you launch new ones the refinery miraculously starts working again? ('cause you freed some cargo space by launching the limpets) ;)

Can't really comment on the selling prices. I mine to relax and sell at the first port that offers a price any amount above the galactic average. I couldn't be bothered spending days by searching for the "best" price.
It's mining. Anything above zero is profit. :)
No, it wasn't full. Had that problem a few times and know what you're talking about. ;)

Regarding the prices, you really don't have to spend much time searching. If you have your common mining grounds, just visit the systems around you and land there once. You'll have all the prices after doing that and trust me, it makes a huge difference. I made 10+15M from two rounds with my ASP Explorer today. I must admit I fly it without any shields for more cargo and almost got murdered by a pirate but it was worth it. Trying to get the 200 gold for Mr Cheung now, have about 140 to go. What a pain...

So, my refinery (I think 3A, maybe 4? - it has 7 slots) works very slowly at times. The ore is at 100% and it just won't refine, sometimes for a pretty long time, while my drones bore themselves to death - literally. Also, When I liberate an extra slot for an ore I'm mining at high speed, sometimes it won't be used effectively and remains empty for a while - again, with drones waiting and being idle.
It can happen when you fill more than one bin at the same time, ie: when collecting more than one ore from a rock.

Every action in the refinery is a transaction. If the transaction server is dying or your internet is dying you can get those delays.
Very helpful reply, thanks a lot. As I am experiencing poor connectivity, this must be it. Incredible how many little things in this game are related to connectivity. Is there any way for me to find out which ones those are? In other words, how did you find out?

Regarding the Painite, I guess that must be a secret or just rumors after all...

Top Bottom