Newcomer / Intro Questions on Reputation change and Mining investment missions

Hello Pilots

Just two quick newbie questions (I consider my 110 hours in newbie....).
1 - Reputation. Will I annoy any opposite faction if I make gains in another faction? Because I have not quite delved into how this works, I'm not keen on causing ripples in the water so to speak.
2- I've noticed that if I have some of the mining materials for a mission, I can't hand some of them in, because they don't show up on the station mission givers panel, they're just simply not there. I'm at the correct station also. I.E. Mining investment for 10 units of Bromellite at Teller ring in the Lauksa system. Even if I have some of the units, I can't see the mission in any of the contacts list. Is this because I don't have the full amount? Seems to be no problem with just the "Mine 10 units of Cobolt", I can just hand some in and do the rest later.

Thanks for any info in advance, this is a great community!
- Seph

1 - No, unless you did a mission that specifically targeted their ships

2 - Check that the faction that issued the mission didn't retreat from the system

Hello Pilots

Just two quick newbie questions (I consider my 110 hours in newbie....).
1 - Reputation. Will I annoy any opposite faction if I make gains in another faction? Because I have not quite delved into how this works, I'm not keen on causing ripples in the water so to speak.
2- I've noticed that if I have some of the mining materials for a mission, I can't hand some of them in, because they don't show up on the station mission givers panel, they're just simply not there. I'm at the correct station also. I.E. Mining investment for 10 units of Bromellite at Teller ring in the Lauksa system. Even if I have some of the units, I can't see the mission in any of the contacts list. Is this because I don't have the full amount? Seems to be no problem with just the "Mine 10 units of Cobolt", I can just hand some in and do the rest later.

Thanks for any info in advance, this is a great community!
- Seph
1. As metatheurgist said... unless the mission is specifically targeting another faction with negative effects, there won't be any rep hit. Of note, higher Superpower reputation amplifies both positive and negative rep gain... so if you're Allied with the Empire, and succeed a mission with an Imperial-aligned faction, you'll get significantly more reputation than normal. Conversely, if you're Allied, a fail a mission with an Imperial-aligned faction, your reputation losses will be much worse.

2. Mining missions don't use the cargo depot to do partial drop offs at the moment like normal delivery missions. This is changing in the FC update.

• Added depot support to Solo mining missions.

the only time I can think of that you might get a problem is when you do massacre missions against the controlling faction at the station that gave you the missions. You might find that you're blocked when you go back to cash in.

Several mission type can lower your rep with the target. Planet scan, data recovery and possibly salvage. There may be more.
Delivery or source missions don't.

As above but don't worry. You start with enough leeway rep wise to take a few hits and not be blocked so you can always run missions for them to regain it. Combat missions being the exception probably. Sometimes you get the mission complete with a positive rep for one faction and a tiny negative for another, unless you chain repeatedly you should be able to see if getting too close to bad rep in time to do something if you want to....like dropping 100 tons of fish onto their surface settlement to teach them for dissing you

Ive never actually turned anyone red just through normal gameplay ie no real strategy just second star to the right and on til morning or take a mission take another take another where am I now? So not targeting factions or BGS except in home system or trying to overturn or run anyone down as such so theres been plenty of leeway for me. Ive often lost Friendly to Cordial to Neutral to low Neutral but easy to regain with a mission or two. I often get Allied and move on bored of that system and station.

Several mission type can lower your rep with the target. Planet scan, data recovery and possibly salvage. There may be more.
Delivery or source missions don't.
I think as a rule of thumb it could be summed up into: "Increasing an influence of a certain faction doesn't result in loss of reputation with other factions UNLESS the mission's result actively lowers the influence of the other factions (e.g. killing their ships, messing with their stuff,...).
In other words - there are missions FOR a certain faction, and there are missions AGAINST a certain faction and the rep gain and loss reflects that.

Last edited:
Problem is and maybe this is the place to ask it.

Ive had missions, like Delivery to another system and when I get there I have increased the faction I took the mission for but have decreased a faction in the system I have flown to. Other times I get 2 faction boosts.

I haven't focussed on it to see why but nothing stands out in the mission itself, sometimes Ill take 3 or 4 to separate places and a couple boost both and a couple decrease one but they started with the same faction in the same station for the same BGS reason (ie same state whatever it is). Its why I know theres enough leeway not to worry in normal non-strategic gameplay even when trying to get allied to get a permit for example.

So is there a way to tell, what am I missing (too lazy to focus on and work out as not causing any issues)?

Ok, figured out why I can't see the partial hand in. Seems that if I get a mission just to mine a certain amount, the hand in will only show up if I have all of the items, I can't hand in "some" of them (investment?). And the other, I took on missions that were meant to be a part of a wing, which is fine, I can still do them easy enough.

Shoot, sorry. I did actually read that last night but it was late, I was tired and completely forgot while I was playing today. Thanks Jmanis and Vetinari

Top Bottom