Railguns - Fire on release etc

I just can't stand the person who designed railguns as they are present - hold to fire. Sadist? Masochist?
Why not to make it chargable (with damage multiplier) and fire on trigger release like it was made for Guarding Plasma Accelerators?

I can understand we can't get bigger railguns because of great heat generation.
But why there's no gimbaled version, at least?
(same for other unreasonably fixed only weapons)

Last edited:
Considering again this is a pretty standard way to handle Railguns I would say it's pretty understandable.

What you want would make them far easier to use negating the point of the balance and just make the weapons needlessly stronger.

Stop trying to make the game easier please. Some of us like the challenges involved in using rails.
o7
Easier?
I prefer to call that "logical".

In reality no one will accept a weapon which require trigger holding to fire. Especially if this weapon should be used on big distances.

in games.
Arite, I'll add "in game's reality too".

I'm not talking about conditional mechanics like limited speed in space, this is definitely a balance solution. I'm talking about little and annoying thing which has no sense.
Hold to fire is like drive your ship with legs, sitting on head. This is silly.
No matter if inventor is real or just NPC - no one will invent that way to use gun.

I heard your position.

But I'm suggesting to FDev (as it's supposed for threads in Suggestions forum), not asking for infinite answers from anyone why I cannot get the suggested thing. You're not a FDev staff member, am I right?

Please, don't pursuade me, not interested.

I just can't stand the person who designed railguns as they are present - hold to fire. Sadist? Masochist?
Why not to make it chargable (with damage multiplier) and fire on trigger release like it was made for Guarding Plasma Accelerators?
I feel in reverse, sadist made Guardian Plasmas :D Super inconvenient on mouse because releasing button slightly moves it. And moving mouse while you hold button for long (like 180 swap) is hard to do too.

Last edited:
I feel in reverse, sadist made Guardian Plasmas :D Super inconvenient on mouse because releasing button slightly moves it.
Add some weight inside the mouse.
Or learn to meditate :) to avoid sharp hand movements.

Anyway, that better to look for the best moment to fire instead to catch the moment when enemy is on crosshair and railgun is finally charged.

Anyway, that better to look for the best moment to fire instead to catch the moment when enemy is on crosshair and railgun is finally charged.
No, for me it is easier fast short click when time ready, or .2s before to charge, than hold button for 10s while it is time.
Also finger does easy press movement but release is NOT precise and not easy - just anatomy.

Then my anatomy is superior if my button releases didn't affect the whole hand gestures?
Easy...some random mutation making your fingers better to release.
To be sure need to test 10000+ of different people for release & press.
For now I'm just saying, pressing for me is easier then releasing. Guess why all real guns do the same - on press.

Did you ever use real weapons? ..they do ...sort of :) At least feels the same...slow "charge" then boom.
But you're able to "charge then boom" immediately, no one gun force you to hold trigger for 1 second (which is reallllllyyyy long for any weapon) or even more.

Feel the difference.

Release trigger to fire is the best (and should be only) solution for a charging weapon like railgun.

PS. Btw, real gun is already charged, trigger just have some move before fire for safety and reliability purposes. Or it's just cheap and bad. You can adjust trigger group to dramatically reduce pulling time - look at sporting firearms, or some military, like Luger P08 which trigger is very sensitive.
But railgun charging while pressing the trigger, not fire, like any conventional firearm.

Last edited:
was just a flat out lie.
People across many games cannot do any influence.

FDev allow us to make it in Elite.

I'm not agree with railgun mechanics, in both worlds, as a player and CMDR - and I'm use this oppotunity to motivate developers to revise mechanics.

Like or don't like? Your right. I heard your position, that's enough for me.

People across many games cannot do any influence.

FDev allow us to make it in Elite.

I'm not agree with railgun mechanics, in both worlds, as a player and CMDR - and I'm use this oppotunity to motivate developers to revise mechanics.

Like or don't like? Your right. I heard your position, that's enough for me.
that doesn't make it any less of a lie when you say "players wont accept" when its clear to see that players do accept.

Again what you want would have to be paired with a pretty significant nerf to the weapon system to keep it in any state that resembles balance.

Top Bottom