Random land generator for sandbox

I asked this on Facebook for the Sam Denny Q/As and got several positive replies from other fans of the game. But it didn't get answered on the show. So I thought I would ask it here to see what you guys think about it.

What do you guys think of a random land generator for sandbox mode? It would have sliders for trees, water, hills, etc.. And the game would auto generate a map. It would be a quick challenge for placing coasters, buildings, and flat rides in the game.

You would still be able to terrain the land ourselves after the map is generated. But it would give gamers a quick start option to sandbox mode and create a challenge as well.

I'm usually one of "those" people that always starts off with flat land, and never terraforms. However, after seeing all the exciting options regarding using the environment to build coasters that this game presents, I think this would be a great idea. I would love to see what was possible!

+1

Would also love to see the ability to load in height maps, similar to Cities: Skylines.

For example you can use http://terrain.party/ to grab a section of the real world and import it to create a map. Imagine building a theme park in your own back yard [cool]

I'm usually one of "those" people that always starts off with flat land, and never terraforms. However, after seeing all the exciting options regarding using the environment to build coasters that this game presents, I think this would be a great idea. I would love to see what was possible!

This is me as well. But it would be cool if the game gave you a map based on your choices of more hills less hills, more water less water, etc. And you could look at it and say. It would be cool to have a train come around this hill. Or a path circling around a pond or over it. Build into the land. Not just a after thought. Build rides and raise them from the flat sandbox mode.

Glad others like this idea! Maybe it'll make "The List"!

Certainly, it is a very good idea.

An even better idea imo would be to also have maps in the campaign and scenarios where the terrain itself posses a challenge on the management simulation aspect. Terraforming tools cost money, and making the best out of the plot of land you have (or even making your park become a natural part of it) could be part of the overall challenge a planet coaster manager has to face.

I just saw the alpha ravine sandbox map in a stream. Damn, the terrain building in this game is strong. I wonder how much Frontier will make maps in the campaign and scenarios where the terrain itself posses a challenge on the management simulation aspect. Terraforming tools cost money, and making the best out of the plot of land you have (or even making your park become a natural part of it) could be part of the overall challenge you have to face.

I'm also wondering whether they will/can make a random map generator for sandbox scenarios. The moment I saw that map I was thinking of ways to make the park stick on the terrain, and making something better than a flat sandbox.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
If it was introduced then it would be good, in my opinion, if there was an option for it to take a user defined seed number (or a random one) - that way, two or more players could use the same "random" environment as the basis for their park.

In the meantime - I'd like to see starting maps broken out as their own section in the workshop. I know there's a few people out there making empty parks for people to play with, but they're not easy to find.

Yes please! It seems like we would get a big varity of landscapes when we got all those park to play with in Alpa1.
But since the launched the new system in Alpha3 with only one landscape for each biom, I have been greatly annoyed by this. [knockout]

+1 [up]

The landscape we got for now for the tropical biom doesn't even have a sea adjacent or around it! [woah]
Shame...

Last edited:
+1

There are starter maps in the workshop that people have made that have hills and rivers, lots of trees etc. But those are all the same for everyone who downloads them. I would LOVE to see a random terrain generator where every terrain that you generate is different in one way or another from the other.

It would be a huge time saver, and it would help people like me who aren't good or creative enough to work from a flat terrain. Also, with a terrain generator, I could take ideas from a random generation and learn to create a terrain myself from scratch.

Yes, we need this.

A terrain generator is a HUGE deal for me. That would certainly help me out! I'd enjoy the feature because starting with a vast, open, mostly-flat, blank canvas can get a bit overwhelming. It's hard to nail down exactly what to do with such a space. Having a direction to go in with some generated terrain helps a lot.

I don't really care if it's generated terrain that mimics what's in Minecraft or if it's something simpler like in SimCity 3000. Anything helps really. I do see people putting terrains in the workshop, but they're not the easiest thing to pick out.

Top Bottom