General Gameplay Ranger Vehicle Handbrake.

Your Feature Request / Idea
Taking screenshots around the park, I'm finding putting the Ranger in front of things helps to liven pics up. However, when you get out, the Rangers return to base, more or less right away

Rather than slow that down, would like option to stop it or at least start a fifteen minute alternative timer, by adding a parking brake that locks the jeep in position until I return to it. (Drive Jeep unlocks the brake, re-set brake if necessary).

There are also times when you might be in the middle of something, releasing a dinosaur or staying next to a sedated one, ready to give recovery shots if health drops. As soon as you look away though, the Rangers are off.

In general gameplay it's fine - for filling feeders and giving vaccines - jump out and the Ranger will RTB, it's GOOD! But when you're managing dinosaurs between paddocks through gates, rather than by heli-drop)and look in the map to check for strays, and other scenarios, would be nice if the vehicle could stay where you left it for a bit.

I like this!

To me, this is particularly relevant with disease control and taking a joy ride through the park. Sometimes, it is also relevant when storm hits. I find myself always humiliated by this– searching for the “running away” jeep like catching a naughty kid while I’m busy attending things….

I haven’t given deeper thought on the reasons of having them to return to the station. If there are important reasons to it, I suggest there should be a warning signal right on top of the screen to remind us the jeep's handbrake is locked.

i know this is not what your looking for but for every gate in an enclosure i include two fence pieces that stick out perpendicular from each edge of the gate. if i ever need to keep a ranger in the exhibit i connect the two "prongs" on either end with a low fence piece and the jeep gets "lost". It even stays in the exact place that you left it and can give it tasks in the cage still and it will gone about its business till it needs to go home and then losses it self. I also think it looks better with the additions to the gate and is a really nice start to double fencing with out it looking terrible for troublesome carnivores.

i know this is not what your looking for but for every gate in an enclosure i include two fence pieces that stick out perpendicular from each edge of the gate. if i ever need to keep a ranger in the exhibit i connect the two "prongs" on either end with a low fence piece and the jeep gets "lost". It even stays in the exact place that you left it and can give it tasks in the cage still and it will gone about its business till it needs to go home and then losses it self. I also think it looks better with the additions to the gate and is a really nice start to double fencing with out it looking terrible for troublesome carnivores.

"How many times have I said we need locking mechanisms on the vehicle doors!" - Robert Muldoon. ;)

Yes, I've done that work around myself, adding extra bits of fences. I think it's a slightly different issue from screeshots or when driving stock through an open gate but I would definitely add to request, a way to lock gates so the AI can't use them.

For example, on some enclosures I'll have a stock gate AND a Ranger access gate. For gameplay I think you'd lock the gate via the open/close menu but to unlock you'd have to drive out there and manually drive through. Maybe a different request thread? But in any case definitely agree how useful it would be.

is this wait here task timed or until removed?

It would be ridiculous if the vehicles waited indefinitely, specially the helicopter...so I guess timed. I think 2 minutes is a good number, since it's the ammount of time you can pospone a dinosaur's arrival during the missions.

It would be ridiculous if the vehicles waited indefinitely, specially the helicopter...so I guess timed. I think 2 minutes is a good number, since it's the ammount of time you can pospone a dinosaur's arrival during the missions.

I'd make the timer quite a bit longer than that myself, otherwise the Ranger / ACU (nice one) - might still seem 'needy' if it happens to suit you to ask them to stay put for any longer. Or in other words, if I give a work order to an employee, I prefer to only have to give it the once, lol.

I don't think they should wait indefinitely either but for the Ranger jeep I'd make it 10 or 15 real world minutes. This is quite a long time but bear in mind that if you want to unlock it, you might only need to shortcut to the Ranger station and pick to drive. If that unlocks the brake, Esc out and you've given the order to return to base.

The case for the helicopter to have a shorter wait time is better because jeeps aren't burning up fuel to stay in the air! I still think five minutes would be more like the minimum for the 'copter though, as in my mind at least, it's more a quality of life feature than a gameplay one - when keeping you under time pressure does make more sense.
Rather than focussing too much on the time, I think you could also make a good gameplay argument that, after the parking brake or wait on station order has been used, the vehicle MUST return to base before you can send it back out on any automated mission. I'd use that as a tactic for avoiding permanent stationing than a shorter timer myself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom