Ranking up the Empire

I've been doing planetary scan missions to slowly crawl through the ranks from Baron to Duke for the Cutter. In a week or so, I made it to Count, just.
Today, doing passenger rescue in my Python, I've motored through to 60% Earl in an afternoon.
If this has taught me anything, it's that the Python is fantastic and I shouldn't bother flying anything else 🤔

You should definitely try one. I just have issue with the fact that it is predominantly used as a cargo ship. I’m mean would the Empire really build such a ship for hauling biowaste. It’s killing my immershun

My cutter has proven to be quite a well rounded ship fairing well in whatever situation i equip her for.
Those two size 8 slots make the Cutter unique over the Anaconda and Corvette.
Outfitting both size 8 with cargo makes quick work of the wing mission cargo transport. or back in the day many slaves have been relocated within those blank walls. Crammed them in there shoulder to shoulder.
A Size 8 Shield Generator with 3-4 shield booster is pretty impressive. Tested it out against Elite NPC pilots and they have trouble putting a dent in them. I have parked the Cutter in a compromised nav beacon and let nothing but turrets take out the NPC. Extremely lazy combat, kick up your boots.. (not on the white display obviously) and sip your drink of choice watching the carnage.
For the time, effort and credits i have put into the Cutter, she is still the flag ship of my fleet and i have no regrets adding her to the roster. This does not stop me from enjoying all the other ships who fit nicely into the roles they are equipped for. Sometimes the Cutter is just overkill for the job at hand.

Cutter out classes python in all but turn rate and cost...

Passenger rescue missions
Cutter has 2 extra passenger grade 6 cabins for a total of 64 extra which can be fitted in grade 8 slots that the python can not hold those... this would make it better for passenger missions from large burning stations...
Only the anaconda can fit more passenger cabins due to the fact that the anaconda can fit a grade 4 shield instead of grade 6... but if you run with no shields the cutter holds more.
The anaconda would allow you to have gone to the 20 max passenger missions a lot more at the burning station...

Mining
The cutter is also better at painite dual hot spot over layered mining as it will not need to jump as much and it has a huge hard point for defence weapons...
The amount of collector controllers you can fit is over kill for collection from 2 mining lasers..
The python is better as deep core mining ship due to smaller size but the amount of time you can stay out mining with out needing to resupply in a cutter is insane if you can force it to do deep core the reward if you can stumick the low turn rate is massive...

Rescue, piracy and salvage
The cutter can fit 8 heat sink launchers this makes it better for OEP and Damaged escape pods rescue at the stations but currently these missions are disabled but you only had to land at rescuse ship when you ran out of heat sinks..
The cutter can have a grade 8 shield fitted and 8 shield boosters unlike grade 6 of python this means you can raid mega ships for longer... and the grade 8 cargo rack has lot of limpet space 256 storage for just a single slot like the T9...
If you rescue from Friendly Ships it big storage will again rule over all but the cheaper T9...

Combat Res/CZ/Bounty hunting
Yes technicaly the corvette has the extra Huge hard point 2 instead of 1 on cutter so running 2 huge ammo based weapons is good but you going to run out of ammo and capacitor just like the cutter but you have upgraded the large hard point and downgrade 2 mediums to small hard points to get that huge fitted...
Plus the shields are only grade 7 not grade 8 of the cutter. so if things go wrong or get out numbered you will have to leave sooner...

Bounty hunting corvettes in a correcly fitted cutter will be easier than the python... cutter has the HUGE hard point and 2 extra medium hardpoints upgrades over pyhton and better shields...
And ramming with the grade 8 shields will do them more damage than you... As corvettes and lower only run Grade 7 shields and lower...

The python is a good middle ship but its out classed by the expensive ships as it should be... as its cheaper...
Also the krait 2 is its cloned family member but has SLF option...

Edit. Exploration = No, The cutter and python are not for this, The Anaconda or phantom are... and they are way way cheaper and that high G planet will be less of an issue then...
Edit 2= yep as maymo pointed out I forgot power play

Last edited:
Most things have been covered...

I’ll quickly add that the Cutter is amazing at Powerplay if you’re into it. That ship can maintain the 10,000 merits with your pledge with ease...

A T9 can as well, Cutter just does it quicker and much safer.

Hey! Nef is back \o/ wb Cmdr.
The Cutter is my favourite cargo ship these days but I have all modules stored to turn her into a beast of a combat ship. Yes, she is sluggish and she drifts and turns like a continent. But I mean:

https%3A%2F%2Fscreenshotscontent-d2001.xboxlive.com%2Fxuid-2535431180843452-private%2F9dc90d91-c986-4483-971a-9a7c714c93b3.PNG%3Fsv%3D2015-12-11%26sr%3Db%26si%3DDefaultAccess%26sig%3DXYQXNab%252FpMYRL5RpNNzEmJAgOCPeuyrxk0GU0ABVkNE%253D.png

I have always been a friend of the empire so I might be a bit biased. I really love the imp ship design.
The possibility to haul over 700t of stuff in the coziness of 2000mj of shields with over 50% resistance throughout the board and a boost speed over 500 m/s, that all combined with a good jumprange is a mix only my Cutter can provide.
If not that, than at least it is a money sink...

Edit: why is the picture shown in the preview but not in the post?

Last edited:
Edit: why is the picture shown in the preview but not in the post?
That's odd. Maybe post in Forum Support & Feedback?

In trying to get the Cutter (I'm 50% Marquis, I'll have it tonight) I've really fallen in love with the Python.
This thing goes exactly where I put it, no drift, no drama. And this is with a controller which I rarely use anymore:

That's odd. Maybe post in Forum Support & Feedback?

In trying to get the Cutter (I'm 50% Marquis, I'll have it tonight) I've really fallen in love with the Python.
This thing goes exactly where I put it, no drift, no drama. And this is with a controller which I rarely use anymore:

D298DBB9-8CDB-450C-A882-A73B1E4674BB.jpeg

Saw this and thought of you! 🥳

I was already waiting in the queue when Hiiya Orbital opened its shipyard this morning.

The Cutter is as beautiful as ever...

...though it does remind me of a toy my wife used to have. 🧐

I've been doing planetary scan missions to slowly crawl through the ranks from Baron to Duke for the Cutter. In a week or so, I made it to Count, just.
Today, doing passenger rescue in my Python, I've motored through to 60% Earl in an afternoon.
If this has taught me anything, it's that the Python is fantastic and I shouldn't bother flying anything else 🤔

Sir - myown honest opinion , the python and the type 6 are really the only ships u need to be honest im only doing the krait phantom for my new explorathon because its fashionable right now , but from what ive seen thus far , the python still rules as the top draw in exploration - i usd both python and type 6 ( type 6 for hutton runs ) and python for same i got top ranks fed and british , sorry imean empire ... Your milege may vary

Sir - myown honest opinion , the python and the type 6 are really the only ships u need to be honest im only doing the krait phantom for my new explorathon because its fashionable right now , but from what ive seen thus far , the python still rules as the top draw in exploration - i usd both python and type 6 ( type 6 for hutton runs ) and python for same i got top ranks fed and british , sorry imean empire ... Your milege may vary
I went to Colonia and Sag A* in a Phantom. Good ship. I prefer the Asp Explorer though

Top Bottom