Newcomer / Intro Ranking Up

What are the various qualifications (and ranks) for ranking up Explorers, Traders, and Bounty types? Or better yet, where can I find an info listing?

Piot's Federation ranks

All ttypes of ranks incl. Federation, Empire, CQC

For combat ranking up, do higher rated targets count for more, or is it based on pure numbers of kills?

Higher ranking targets count for more. And this is in relation to your own rank. The following table is no longer totally correct, as all lower ranked enemies now count a small amount towards your combat rank progression - in other words every kill gives you something - but the higher your rank, the less they count. However it should give you an idea.

And just for info, when you hit the combat rank of Deadly, you are approximately half way to Elite. In other words you will need as many points as it took you to get from Harmless to Deadly.

I know some people get a bit obsessive about 'ranking up', but personally I didn't bother.
I just wandered around a bit, crashing into things and blasting anything that annoyed me.

I got to Elite in combat after about 10 months - ish. (as far as I can remember).
I had basic weapons and very little in the way of engineering.
And I'm still useless at combat.

I've recently got to Elite in trade - I'm not quite sure how that happened either.

Have fun.

I know some people get a bit obsessive about 'ranking up', but personally I didn't bother.
I just wandered around a bit, crashing into things and blasting anything that annoyed me.

I got to Elite in combat after about 10 months - ish. (as far as I can remember).
I had basic weapons and very little in the way of engineering.
And I'm still useless at combat.

I've recently got to Elite in trade - I'm not quite sure how that happened either.

Have fun.

Most games I've messed with, "Ranking Up" makes the game more challenging/harder along with better risk/rewards. Adds to the fun and reduces the boredom.

Most games I've messed with, "Ranking Up" makes the game more challenging/harder along with better risk/rewards. Adds to the fun and reduces the boredom.

I would say that in this game, that's not strictly speaking true.

For example, as the game is now, regardless of your own rank, you can accept missions of any rank, and mission ranking is one of the main (PvE) ways of upping challenge, as the enemies sent against you in higher ranking missions are more challenging than those you'll get with lower ranking ones.

True, as your own combat rank gets higher, so the random spawned pirates will be of higher rank, but you won't get a lot of them unless you are trading, or running delivery or fetch missions, and even then, in my experience I get them pretty rarely.

I think the point is, that once you've reached Elite rank, then you may well end up wondering what your goals in the game should be, at which point you'll need to make them up for yourself, which is fine... I've been doing that for some time now (triple Elite and the highest ranks with both the Feds and the Imperials - well, I have stopped short of King because that just sounds silly to me :) ).

So, play the game, do things you want to do, shoot things if you want to, or because they get sent against you, and your combat rank will climb. As I mentioned before, each rank is progressively slower to achieve, but they will come, and it's actually quite rewarding to see the percentage bar slowly nudge up - something you no longer get once you're Elite. :)

Top Bottom