Rant/Plea to fix Wing Beacon issues present since 2.1

I'd love to be proven wrong on this but to me it seems that they have looked at the report, looked at the code for 30 mins, not found the problem and then just chalked it up as 'too expensive to fix' then carried on current task of nerfing something.

LoL... Rumbled! ;)

https://i.imgur.com/hnCFsqm.gif

Wow! Look who's back in 2.4!

Source Video with Bonus Scan & Ram (another fan favorite) at the start. Nice to see our Xbox cousins enjoy the gameplay parity as us PC types.
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/fude poof/video/37455730

Anyway, for those of you keeping score at home, we're like 0 for 6 in getting this fixed via update since 2.1 way back in May 2016. I know in this day and age of Thargoid Adaptation and Mission Payout scandals this is not a big deal to most people, and it certainly doesn't hold a candle to the Beige Plague as far as severity, but this will always be near and dear to my heart, because it will apparently never be fixed.

As usual, report it if you see it yada yada yada or else we'll be singing this same sad song after the next update blah blah blah.

This is a recordin- skip
This is a recordin- skip
This is a recordin- skip
This is a recordin- skip
This is a recordin- skip

Loved the cannot hold a candle compared to the beige plague... Priceless! How many people have posted on that? How many man hours?

Btw, I have my own personal favourite of things never getting fixed... It's the Rolling Forwards Camera Suite bug...

Keep playing that record EZ (you're still one of my favourite voices on the forum) ... I actually look forward to these posts now and look forward even more to your reaction when this finally gets fixed.

Happy christmas mate! (I can say that now it's December).

Oh.

My.

GOD!

After *two years,* issue #4, "Positional drifting caused by a wingmate's location changing, most evident when trying to dock at a station in an instance where a wingmate has already docked, resulting in a pilot's ship moving like rotational correction is off, making docking nearly impossible without relogging"

has been fixed in Beyond!

giphy.gif

I may faint. Not only has it been fixed in 3.0, it's continued to work trouble free after the 3.0.2 update. I don't know what to think since it was barely ever acknowledged as an official issue and didn't turn up in the patch notes, but thank whoever it was behind the scenes who took care of it, or whoever made some underlying change which resulted in the issue crop up in the first place.

Hate to sound ungrateful, but one last major issue remains, broken since March 2015, and made much more aggravating with the addition of Wing Missions:

2. Dropping to wing beacons in current position rather than the beacon position, often millions of meters away.

raining_david_tennant.gif

For anyone just skimming the last page and not aware, there's a bug which causes the wing nav lock to misfire, dumping a CMDR in the wrong place/instance when trying to home in on the position on the beacon of another player. It's inconsistent, but seems to happen most around planets though can happen anytime. It will manifest itself at the worst times, when a friend is in dire need of aid or has a super-high-value target lined up and others in the wing want to jump in and help, but every time the beacon sucks them far away, making an intercept impossible.

Now that wing missions are a thing, especially wing assassinations which pit players against a wing of 6 with a shared mission goal, it's imperative that the wing nav lock work again. Judging from the number of bug reports and posts on the subject, more players are noticing this particular problem. It turns what is a genuinely fun addition to the game into an exercise in frustration.

Please, pretty please, throw some resources at solving it before CMDRs decide they're not worth the effort. Otherwise all you'll have for the effort of making wing missions is a lone CMDR maintaining a bitter vigil in forum post for the next two years.

And, as per SOP, if you're running into this issue yourself, pop over to the support forum and let Frontier know. The greater visibility it has, the more likely it is to get fixed.

Woo Hoo! This may yet all get resolved by the end of the decade!

2. Dropping to wing beacons in current position rather than the beacon position, often millions of meters away.

When you say "current position" could it be that the problem is that a players "wing beacon" position is not necessarily the same as their "ship position". I'm kind of picturing the "wing beacon" as some kind of virtual "I am here" marker which is tracking the player's ship position but perhaps with some lag? (maybe server/network lag?). So when you drop at a player's beacon, perhaps you're dropping exactly on the beacon's current position at the moment the drop was instigated but the lag (or whatever) means there's a discrepency between the beacon's position and the owning ship's position?

Putting the problem in these terms allows us to see all sorts of potential causes. Perhaps the beacon is affected by exclusion zones, gravity, etc in different ways to a ship so it doesn't track the ship's position precisely? Perhaps there's lag when updating it's position to that of the ship?

I'd love to be proven wrong on this but to me it seems that they have looked at the report, looked at the code for 30 mins, not found the problem and then just chalked it up as 'too expensive to fix' then carried on current task of nerfing something.

sums it up 100%

Just your semi-regular reminder that the wing nav lock is still busted after two years and like, what, 7, 8 updates now? I've lost count...

[video=youtube;hOYdWluRijs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOYdWluRijs[/video]

Sure would be cool to get this fixed in 3.0.4, if that's going to be a thing.

If not, expect to see this thread pop up again in 3.1. I know you're looking forward to that as much as I am. In the mean time, and as per usual, report it as a bug if you run into it. With wing missions being a thing it's more important than ever to keep it visible.

This is a recording.

Just your semi-regular reminder that the wing nav lock is still busted after two years and like, what, 7, 8 updates now? I've lost count...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOYdWluRijs

Sure would be cool to get this fixed in 3.0.4, if that's going to be a thing.

If not, expect to see this thread pop up again in 3.1. I know you're looking forward to that as much as I am. In the mean time, and as per usual, report it as a bug if you run into it. With wing missions being a thing it's more important than ever to keep it visible.

This is a recording.

Drat, saw somebody complaining about this the other day and meant to refer them to this thread and/or report it but I'm damned if I can find their post again.
Sorry.
Best I can do for now is bump this thread and post a picture of some kittens in a box in the hope of gaining more attention for it.

Balen%C3%AD-dom%C3%A1c%C3%ADch-mazl%C3%AD%C4%8Dk%C5%AF_1.jpg

(please let our kitten friends drop at the beacon we've placed inside this box and not in the deadly quicksand that surrounds it!)

Last edited:
Wing lock failed again last night trying to get 3 of us into an assassination mission instance. Had to select the low wake instead (which does work fortunately).

Wow, I really didn't know this was still a problem. I've had all sorts of problems trying to drop onto wing beacons in the past, but don't often play in a wing now and stupidly assumed that this had been fixed in the intervening couple of years! :eek:

Seems like something that should have received some serious investigation while adding wing-missions into the game.

BTW Z, while you're here, just thought that I'd mention that new 3.0 era players (and PS4 players) have probably never even heard on the Buckyball Run and stupidly assume that the BRC is the official / real thing. Just sayin' ;)

I still can't understand why we need to enable our wing beacons either, assuming I'm just ignorant of a valid reason, why wouldn't you want to be in the same instacne as your wing mates? Shouldn't it be enabled by default with the ability to disable it?

For the record, I too can't believe wing gameplay is still this broken. I think we've all just grown accustomed to it at this point?

Top quality necro, mate. This thread is older than that crusty jar of Marmite at the back of your gran's pantry. (Don't start, Bottom Hat).

Seriously though, Teams/Wings could be an absolutely amazing experience in Elite, but it let down by too many issues. Issues that often appear quite small but have disproportionate impact on the experience. I would fully support an update cycle that was fully devoted to getting it completely rock solid.

Do we really need to yell necro if it's still relevant and the necromancer themselves acknowledged it was an old thread?

But yeah, I guess you could file another bug report if you're feeling lucky.

Top Bottom