[rant] Stop equipping gimballed pulse laser fighters.

This is 100% just me scremaing into the void and demanding the whole world change cuz im unhappy (aka: a rant). Maybe with a little grounding in reality.

For commanders picking fighters for a hanger, STOP PICKING GIMBALLED PULSE LASERS. The fighters pulse lasers suck, and gimballs kinda suck when the pilot you get (or any AI pilot above harmless) knows how to aim fixed when they're handed a supermanouverbale fighter (even the tiapan). So handing out both is just.. . .Just. . . THIS
Source: https://youtu.be/u2VelrINtmc

HOT, SPICEY waste of dps garbage. Literally any other fighter is a better option, even if you not using multicrew but HELL YES if your opening your crew for a search.
For some reason tho, 80%+ of the ships ive joined have been using these spicey flashlights.

You can't cure stupidity. Not yours, theirs - they probably don't realise that there is a choice worth thinking of. Or they are just crap at flying fighters. And then, you can't cure stupidity. Hakuna matata.
I think that's harsh. In many games AI are super bad, so they need all the help they can get. In ED, the AI is very accurate, but not everyone know that. Ironically, it's not intuitive.

This is 100% just me scremaing into the void and demanding the whole world change cuz im unhappy (aka: a rant). Maybe with a little grounding in reality.

For commanders picking fighters for a hanger, STOP PICKING GIMBALLED PULSE LASERS. The fighters pulse lasers suck, and gimballs kinda suck when the pilot you get (or any AI pilot above harmless) knows how to aim fixed when they're handed a supermanouverbale fighter (even the tiapan). So handing out both is just.. . .Just. . . THIS
Source: https://youtu.be/u2VelrINtmc

HOT, SPICEY waste of dps garbage. Literally any other fighter is a better option, even if you not using multicrew but HELL YES if your opening your crew for a search.
For some reason tho, 80%+ of the ships ive joined have been using these spicey flashlights.
What if, maybe, just maybe, they equip gimbals on their fighers because they want to fight IN them and don't plan to use an NPC (or you) to fly them?
Many people can't or don't want to use fixed weapons for various legitimate reasons.

I think it would be best for the game if they did what they want and you stopped being offended by it.

What fighters would you like to see then? Is the fixed beam Taipan good? Or a plasma Condor better? My dangerous pilot misses most of the shot with the plasma repeater. Seems only to be better on paper.

On one hand I agree with OP on how useless, literally everything other than Fixed Beam is on Fighters, especially with AI crew.

On the other hand, why should anyone care, since you can't engineer those fighters, they do tiny poop for damage, frankly, with any loadout, especially compared to your medium combat ship, that dishes out about 100 more DPS on average. So use whatever you like, it really doesn't make any difference at all.

So if one has a fighter hangar in his ship, that means this someone just thinks it's cool that some Fighter is flying alongside of them, and that's it. This hangar weights a lot and is utterly useless in any combat, even lowest PVE. Dunno where people getting idea that AI crew is accurate or good. It takes them eternity to kill even smallest ships, can't evade properly, can't shake aggro, and have extremely suboptimal flight routines. Like if target has 1-3% hull left, and fighter lost shield, it will start circling and regenerating shield instead of finishing off target, which usually means that enemy ship will regen it's own shield and they will take another eternity to duke it out 1v1... While I can rip them to pieces in same Taipan in under a minute, considering I can't either fly or shoot fixed properly. That, plus you have to babysit these NPCs so much if you not want them to just kill themselves left and right. That being said, I'm running with my Elite AI for a couple of years at least. Also to mention how many times my crewman almost got my invincible mothership (G5 Krait II) got almost killed by some regular pirate Pythons or freaking Asps... I really don't understand how is it even possible? No idea why some say AI crew is actually good or near accurate? Did you guys ever fought in SLF yourself to compare?

Sorry for the rant, I needed to vent, but all I said is still true.

NPC crew with a Lance are devastating, but the drawback of all Guardian fighters is no utility mount, and quite often chaff or PDTs make the difference between life and death in SLFs, even moreso than the weapons.

I agree that fixed are better but I can see why some CMDRs would go gimballed. A lot of players don't like fixed. A while back, if I had a Class 6 SLF bay, I'd buy one fixed SLF and one gimballed, so other CMDRs could choose which one they wanted to use. Often times the only kind of CMDR you'd get for multicrew is a newb, so they would do better with gimballed anyway.

Of course I gave up doing that a while back and switched all the gimballed versions out for fixed, because multicrew is dead.

Last edited:
Fixed beam or Fixed MC/ AX-MC, that's pretty much it as far as actually being useful. That said, it's a game, have fun, no need to throw a fit over people that enjoy playing with other weapons, even if they are less effective.

I would love it if they had rails, but those would be brutally effective in the hands of a properly directed Elite SLF pilot.

Oh I wasn't being serious mate, apologies for the misunderstanding - I was being daft!
Oh, you got it right the first time BH! 🤪 I fly a Vette with gymbaled long range lasers and beams plus gymbaled MCs... So I'm a perfectly lazy and stupid cmdr that can't handle a real fighter ship. I don't like to work that hard at it tbh! Playing ED is meant to be relaxing and chilled out after all. 😎 Flying a fighter is just too much hard work to me. I have a full set of Advanced PAs and Frags from my PP Tourism days but they have been mothballed for years waiting for when I feel that surge of youthful vitality again! At my age, not too frequent an event! 😉

I equipped a cheap and cheerful Keelback last night with a fighter bay and gimballed fighter.
Meme (4).png

On one hand I agree with OP on how useless, literally everything other than Fixed Beam is on Fighters, especially with AI crew.

On the other hand, why should anyone care, since you can't engineer those fighters, they do tiny poop for damage, frankly, with any loadout, especially compared to your medium combat ship, that dishes out about 100 more DPS on average. So use whatever you like, it really doesn't make any difference at all.

So if one has a fighter hangar in his ship, that means this someone just thinks it's cool that some Fighter is flying alongside of them, and that's it. This hangar weights a lot and is utterly useless in any combat, even lowest PVE. Dunno where people getting idea that AI crew is accurate or good. It takes them eternity to kill even smallest ships, can't evade properly, can't shake aggro, and have extremely suboptimal flight routines. Like if target has 1-3% hull left, and fighter lost shield, it will start circling and regenerating shield instead of finishing off target, which usually means that enemy ship will regen it's own shield and they will take another eternity to duke it out 1v1... While I can rip them to pieces in same Taipan in under a minute, considering I can't either fly or shoot fixed properly. That, plus you have to babysit these NPCs so much if you not want them to just kill themselves left and right. That being said, I'm running with my Elite AI for a couple of years at least. Also to mention how many times my crewman almost got my invincible mothership (G5 Krait II) got almost killed by some regular pirate Pythons or freaking Asps... I really don't understand how is it even possible? No idea why some say AI crew is actually good or near accurate? Did you guys ever fought in SLF yourself to compare?

Sorry for the rant, I needed to vent, but all I said is still true.
Now look at how much money they have earned from you... I found that my elite npc had taken 1.5bn and they were fired on the spot 🤣

Top Bottom