COMPLETED CG Rare Goods Required for Galactic Summit

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Almost. The one you get from the CG will be zero value. Any you buy after unlocking via the tech broker will have a purchase value.
I thought it's purchase value was mats...or does ED associated a base cost with tech broker items...never checked :)

@Schmack so basically it's got about 10% extra jump range, much quicker boot up time and the CG reward has a cost of 0 so transfer and rebuy are cheaper...it does generate more heat than a standard G5 long range FSD though, so there is that penalty.

Er, no? Purchased with mats.
Huh? So these operate entirely differently to all other tech broker things? That's a bit crazy if so.

To clarify, all my experiences to date are:
  • bring whatever doodads are needed to the tech broker
  • unlock the module
  • go to outfitting and purchase with credits

So that's not the case here?

Last edited:
Huh? So these operate entirely differently to all other tech broker things? That's a bit crazy if so.

• unlock the module

Yep, the double-engineered modules work differently. No one-time unlock with materials and then just buy for credits, but direct purchase of one module at a time with the materials every time

Yep, the double-engineered modules work differently. No one-time unlock with materials and then just buy for credits, but direct purchase of one module at a time with the materials every time

Correct, and if you want 2, 3, 10 or whatever you multiply how many mats you need by that number.

... and be quick, as the huge CG discount will valid for only two weeks.

Yes, good point! If you're after multiple of these it really makes sense to do any mat grinding now, and purchase whatever you need now plus any spares in storage for the future.

Also, you can't assume that it will remain at zero price. Liz Ryder's missile rack was free initially, but gained a pricetag sometime later.

• unlock the module

As I understand it the new ones are:
  • No unlock
  • Buy for mats from the Broker
  • Appear in Stored Modules

Yeah, crazy. People will be getting confused by this for years.

As I understand it the new ones are:
  • No unlock
  • Buy for mats from the Broker
  • Appear in Stored Modules

Yeah, crazy. People will be getting confused by this for years.
Uuuuuurrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhh....
picard-facepalm.jpg

Uuuuuurrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhh....
picard-facepalm.jpg
In some ways I can see why they did it - allowing people to buy fully engineered G5 FSD for CR would mean no-one would even engineer one again. Though I think even with the increased need for DWE to buy a broker-FSD vs engineering one I don't think many will be engineering G5 Size 5 FSDs from now. This will be even more true once the DSS is added to the tech-broker, as I think that one really is worthwhile.

ofc any new player will have to be lucky to stumble across those modules. I'm sure they'll have redesigned for discoverability in Odyssey ...

spiderman laugh.gif

ofc any new player will have to be lucky to stumble across those modules. I'm sure they'll have redesigned for discoverability in Odyssey ...

I've been playing about 10 months. Until the latest missile rack CG I honestly didn't know there was a HUMAN tech broker. I have no idea how I missed that they were a thing.

In some ways I can see why they did it - allowing people to buy fully engineered G5 FSD for CR would mean no-one would even engineer one again. Though I think even with the increased need for DWE to buy a broker-FSD vs engineering one I don't think many will be engineering G5 Size 5 FSDs from now.
I don't know - with the full discount it's pretty decent and I'll get a couple of them, but undiscounted it's got a lot of tricky stuff:
- enough DWEs to fully engineer 2 standard G5 FSDs, or 3 mostly-complete ones
- Electrochemical Arrays are one of the hardest G3s to find, and it needs a lot of them
- Tellurium is one of the easiest G4 raws but that's still wanting a lot of it.

...for about 3LY extra range on a typical build. I'll get one for my main ship and one as a swappable spare while they're cheap, but it doesn't seem a generally useful trade-off.

This will be even more true once the DSS is added to the tech-broker, as I think that one really is worthwhile.
In terms of raw performance, sure, the DSS is ~Grade 10 while the FSD is ~Grade 7 ... but how many probes does it save you, and how many planets would you need to map to make up for the time spent collecting the extra materials?

With 99% of the time in mapping being "getting in range of the target" anyway, I can't see it being that useful, especially not if it has a cost like this.

I don't know - with the full discount it's pretty decent and I'll get a couple of them, but undiscounted it's got a lot of tricky stuff:
  • enough DWEs to fully engineer 2 standard G5 FSDs, or 3 mostly-complete ones
  • Electrochemical Arrays are one of the hardest G3s to find, and it needs a lot of them
  • Tellurium is one of the easiest G4 raws but that's still wanting a lot of it.

...for about 3LY extra range on a typical build. I'll get one for my main ship and one as a swappable spare while they're cheap, but it doesn't seem a generally useful trade-off.

In terms of raw performance, sure, the DSS is ~Grade 10 while the FSD is ~Grade 7 ... but how many probes does it save you, and how many planets would you need to map to make up for the time spent collecting the extra materials?

With 99% of the time in mapping being "getting in range of the target" anyway, I can't see it being that useful, especially not if it has a cost like this.
Is the (grade 10) DSS available at tech brokers, if true I didn't know this.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom