General / Off-Topic RCTWorld General Discussion

One of the worst I have ever played. Wow. This is embarrassing. There is no reason for this "Beta" to even exist.

I have been playing for a couple hours and here are my takeaways so far..

1. Coaster Editor... Terrible. Give me back my piece by piece building tools. I liked the idea of spline based but ( this is beyond complicated to use. It's buggy, even if all of segments are "white" when I lay down my track (which should mean no problems or potential problems if I am understanding it correctly), I go to test my coaster and almost everytime it fails. I had 1 suspended coaster complete a circuit.

2. Paths.... I need a grid that snaps and actually lets me build straight paths. All of my paths look like a kindergartner drew them. Yeah I can hit the "G" key to pull up a grid but nothing lines up to the grid or snaps correctly. It's useless.

3. Graphics, realism isnt everything. The coasters look nice, but, this definitely feels more like a new i.p. called Rollercoaster Builder and not Rollercoaster Tycoon. I know its just a "beta" and we're missing key elements to fill the park with other rides and peeps so maybe that will change in the next Beta. Not to mention as of right now it feels very "sterile" and "lifeless", which could be because the peeps are disabled currently.

4. Performance (again I brought this up earlier watching the stream), I know its not optimized but WOW it runs terrible. (I have a really nice system that can handle pretty much any game at Ultra/Extreme settings)

This game needs another 6-12 months of polish and they need to revisit the coaster builder completely. I know the developers were all really pumped about it but I hate it. Building a rollercoaster (even in real life) is a Piece by Piece building process. I am strongly debating cancelling my pre-order, but I will hold off until the next one... just in case things miraculously turn around in a month or so.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
That´s what is sad on the RCTW website:

On the following Friday 12/18 at 2PM EDT, we’ll be streaming the newest build of RCTW on Alienware’s Twitch channel. The game is looking beautiful, and our team has implemented a ton of updates already based off of your feedback and our private tests. Come and see RollerCoaster Tycoon World played LIVE on the stream!

On the following Friday 12/18 at 2PM EDT, we’ll be streaming the newest build of RCTW on Alienware’s Twitch channel. The game is looking beautiful, and our team has implemented a ton of updates already based off of your feedback and our private tests. Come and see RollerCoaster Tycoon World played LIVE on the stream!
Yes today I will look at the stream and are excited about what they will show us and what has been changed.

I´ll try to. That is 8 pm in Germany right? Even when I think that we have to screw down our expectations, it will certainly be amusing. No competition to PC, really [hehe]

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
I´ll try to. That is 8 pm in Germany right? Even when I think that we have to screw down our expectations, it will certainly be amusing. No competition to PC, really [hehe]

Yes, 8 pm in Germany and others country's in the area like The Netherlands. I will try to watch too. I'm interested in what they have fixed and what updates they have implemented. [hehe]

I would be in front of my screen at 2PM EDT (20:00 UTC+1)

And I think we will know if they managed to save the game or if they failed.

I was super excited about RCTW, and kinda still am. But PlanetCoaster has stole my thunder I think, and for good reasons. Not saying that I still will not enjoy RCTW, but I just think at this point they may both have good things about them, but for me right now they are both different games.

I was super excited about RCTW, and kinda still am. But PlanetCoaster has stole my thunder I think, and for good reasons. Not saying that I still will not enjoy RCTW, but I just think at this point they may both have good things about them, but for me right now they are both different games.
Its interesting how positive you look at rctw:). both are different games sure. But only one is the better one. If you would compare, rctw would loose every checkpoint ;).

But honestly I preordered rctw in October. But now I'm hoping to get a very solid game for my money.

Well after watching the latest build stream of RCTW I'm just getting more and more suspicious. They haven't shown off anything like as much as PC and keep promising 'jam later'. Very underwhelming. PC is winning in the competition by a mile at the moment.

Coaster editor, coaster editor. For me it feels like RCTW is coaster editor software and the other bits put there just to pretend.

I am disappointed because I care.

Okayyyyyyyy ... Well, this streaming was a joke. A very bad joke... [mad]
(I pass over the sound problem at the start, because this can happen even to the best)

They just talked about the coaster editor. Again, and again, and again ...
And everything else that players expected ? Hmmm, what about a big "nope" ! Almost nothing new.

All along, I was like "okay , we understood how the coaster editor work, next chapter please, it start to be boring here" but ... it was the only chapter of the video ... and, icing on the cake, with a new guy, that looked very friendly but saying something that sounded like "The spline coaster system was not bad, it was you who did not know how to use it, look how this tool is powerful". Yeah ? BUT IT'S NOT FUN. But they added the piece-by-piece elements in the coaster building tool so, i'm sure they think "okay, it's fine now". Well ... Nope, you just put a piece of tape on a symptom, but you have not cured the cause.

In fact, and this is just a theory but, It's look like a game made "by coders, for coders" (nothing offensive for coders btw). I remember the VERY FIRST THING i tried when I started the beta : I made a right-click with my mouse to rotate the camera, but it was impossible, so I scrolled with the wheel to zoom in/out, impossible too, and then ... and I realized that I should use "keyboard shortcuts" such as in a car game or a FPS (not to mention the fact that they have forgotten the AZERTY / QWERTY difference [rolleyes]). At this point I should understand ...

I could also talk about the curved path tool (which is not like the "pen tool" from illustrator for exemple, where you first click on the starting point, then you click on the final point, and you make the curve after, but no, in RTCW it's different, you first click on the starting point, then the second click need to be the anticipation of the final point to make the good angle, WTH?), ... or how they chose to block "free positioning" of objects, only to avoid colisions, with a big red "invalid position" on the screen (which is nonsense in a game like RCT).

In fact, even before having taken in hand the coasters creation tool, something was wrong. And it's not the game itself, it's the way they see it.

Maybe it's just because they are coders, and they dont have designers in the team (just a guess, I dont know), and they develop tools that only cartesians people will like. Maybe for them, in the way their minds work, it's the players (the general public) who dont understand correctly, and instead of listening to them, they think that they must educate them.

Anyway, something is wrong with this game, and according to this livestream, it's not fixed.

Okayyyyyyyy ... Well, this streaming was a joke. A very bad joke... [mad]
(I pass over the sound problem at the start, because this can happen even to the best)

They just talked about the coaster editor. Again, and again, and again ...
And everything else that players expected ? Hmmm, what about a big "nope" ! Almost nothing new.

All along, I was like "okay , we understood how the coaster editor work, next chapter please, it start to be boring here" but ... it was the only chapter of the video ... and, icing on the cake, with a new guy, that looked very friendly but saying something that sounded like "The spline coaster system was not bad, it was you who did not know how to use it, look how this tool is powerful". Yeah ? BUT IT'S NOT FUN. But they added the piece-by-piece elements in the coaster building tool so, i'm sure they think "okay, it's fine now". Well ... Nope, you just put a piece of tape on a symptom, but you have not cured the cause.

In fact, and this is just a theory but, It's look like a game made "by coders, for coders" (nothing offensive for coders btw). I remember the VERY FIRST THING i tried when I started the beta : I made a right-click with my mouse to rotate the camera, but it was impossible, so I scrolled with the wheel to zoom in/out, impossible too, and then ... and I realized that I should use "keyboard shortcuts" such as in a car game or a FPS (not to mention the fact that they have forgotten the AZERTY / QWERTY difference [rolleyes]). At this point I should understand ...

I could also talk about the curved path tool (which is not like the "pen tool" from illustrator for exemple, where you first click on the starting point, then you click on the final point, and you make the curve after, but no, in RTCW it's different, you first click on the starting point, then the second click need to be the anticipation of the final point to make the good angle, WTH?), ... or how they chose to block "free positioning" of objects, only to avoid colisions, with a big red "invalid position" on the screen (which is nonsense in a game like RCT).

In fact, even before having taken in hand the coasters creation tool, something was wrong. And it's not the game itself, it's the way they see it.

Maybe it's just because they are coders, and they dont have designers in the team (just a guess, I dont know), and they develop tools that only cartesians people will like. Maybe for them, in the way their minds work, it's the players (the general public) who dont understand correctly, and instead of listening to them, they think that they must educate them.

Anyway, something is wrong with this game, and according to this livestream, it's not fixed.

I agree, I went to the stream to see if they'll show off some new features but sadly it was only an updated coaster editor and some water effects.

The reason the coaster editor failed is because of what Angelis stated, it's designed for coders, not for players. In fact, not even for modelers, as it's very unintuitive; you have the vector and angle... and that's it. There's no snapping of axis, moving nodes relative to others, specific tuning like moving x feet over a y degree turn, no auto smoothing system, clone tool, etc. The game shouldn't have added a layer of pieces onto it, they should have changed the tool to allow something like, move x feet on the relative x axis, y feet an the relative y axis, than head upward z feet, and by doing so, it auto banks or tilts to give some feedback, but can be finer tuned, like moving upward 5 feet changes the pitch to 15 degrees, but one can make the incline steeper if the wanted. Seems like this is what Planet Coaster is going for, and we'll find out in a few days. [yesnod]

Top Bottom