General / Off-Topic Re: Immortality

kids = immortality
raise them well

Had encephalitis as a 14 year old. Cardiac arrest, they brought me back. I remember the whole thing.
Imagine every aspect of your consciousness evaporating bit by bit, senses fade - sight, hearing, touch, taste, smell last (weird right?). It doesn't hurt. The experience was not fearful. It's sleeping without dreaming. You do it every night.

Have fun while you can.

There is nothing wrong talking about the afterlife and 2000 years of religion will be a part of it. If science is your belief then nothing in this universe is ever wasted or destroyed but only changed. E=MC2 was an eye opener. But humans 700 years ago in the name of Christ slathered those who had a different opinion. The Mayans sacrificed virgins in the name of a God looking for a better harvest. What is with the human nature? I cannot see any God thinking humans being killed is what they desire.
I do believe there is one God but many variations of Him across all religions. Maybe many don't believe but there is a conscious after death. Some of us humans explain it as Purgatory.which doesn't prove that God exists. But then there is that E=MC2 science where nothing is ever wasted.

Faith and believing without any proof other than people who died 2000 years ago won't prove the existence of God. Maybe we all end our lives turning to dust. But there is that afterlife conscious thing to deal with which has been proven scientifically. Then what?

Last edited:
Nothing lasts forever, even the universe has a finite span, though if you start getting into some of the interpretations of multiverse theory who knows.. If the idea of an afterlife gives you comfort that's fine, but I prefer the idea of sweet oblivion of nothingness. To be honest this thread has been tough for me to read as I lost my mother to dementia 4 weeks ago. As her main carer I lived through her decline in the last year or so. I've never been religious but that experience certainly makes me doubt the existence of a benevolent loving god. If any deity exists, my feeling is, that at best, they are indifferent to the lives of us, mere mortals.

Nothing lasts forever, even the universe has a finite span, though if you start getting into some of the interpretations of multiverse theory who knows.. If the idea of an afterlife gives you comfort that's fine, but I prefer the idea of sweet oblivion of nothingness. To be honest this thread has been tough for me to read as I lost my mother to dementia 4 weeks ago. As her main carer I lived through her decline in the last year or so. I've never been religious but that experience certainly makes me doubt the existence of a benevolent loving god. If any deity exists, my feeling is, that at best, they are indifferent to the lives of us, mere mortals.
The future and the past are both eternal and lasts forever...
So when someone claims to be both the beginning and the end.... it would stand to reason they are either telling us a truth or a lie...
how you wish to perceive this is entirely up to you..

on a side note...i can relate to taking care of ones own mother in their latter and final years/days/hours... it is something i was fortunate to be blessed with..
i would remember times where i would wake up... and hear my bed-ridden mum sing a hymn.. in the most out of tune way... i could not help but smile
This of course is no comfort to you... but just know that... you honour both your mother and father by taking care of her during those latter years!!
and that comes with a promise of a blessing!!
Be blessed!!

Last edited:

I am sorry for you loss and pain and I understand the hurt you feel in ways others cannot comprehend.

I lost my wife and an 11 year old son. I came home after work finding my son on the bed with pantyhose around his neck. He was strangled many hours ago. The Police detectives said probably around 10:30 AM. I left for work at 9:30. About the time I found my son at 6:00PM my wife laid down on railroad tracks with an approaching Amtrak train ending her life. The guy driving the train has never got over this. I still have her wedding ring that was deformed with the train impact. Look it up in the Los Angeles Times in April/May 1997 for George and Rosanna Hooper if you want the details.

Sorry if I was too graphic but I wanted to make a statement on a worse possible tragedy no human should ever have to go through. It took me two years and two psychiatrists to move on with life. Did I blame a God for this? No. We are humans and decide our fate. God doesn't interfere. Other times a medical disease takes away a loved one and many blame God letting this happen and be convinced that God doesn't exist. Again God doesn't interfere.

Maybe you are right and we all just turn to sand. But maybe you are wrong as I pray for my wife who lost it committing a homicide and suicide that I and all her friends never saw coming. Even Daniel's elementary school setup a grave for Daniel in their playground which I thought was weird. But this is California where weird is sometimes normal. Later they came to their senses and removed it. Rosanna was a good beautiful woman with a loving heart. I have spent a lot of time wondering "what if" when my wife needed me and I wasn't there. That is not God's fault nor is a disease that takes loved ones away from us. I often consider life on Earth as Heaven or Hell depending upon how we choose to live it. We will all die. In the meantime we are blessed being sentient aware of our existence. Given all the other critters on the planet that could be considered a miracle in itsel. But humans will spend another 300 years debating whether it was science or if a God had something to do with it.

Don't worry about me as I've decided my path. I hope that Rosanna and Daniel are in Heaven but I cannot prove that Heaven exists. Still believing is a lot better emotionally to deal with the hurt that we may have to eventually deal with. You might want to consider the same just in case. What did your mother believe? I was there when my mom and dad died. They both believed in God. Who am I to disagree or prove them wrong?

For those not sure If there is a Heaven then great. If not then our human hearts dealing with life sometimes needs to believe in one. It couldn't hurt. Faith in an afterlife is a concept that many cannot accept. The irony is that humans use faith every day.

A religion discussion on the Forum? That doesn't come close to the weight in our hearts many of us will live with forever. Maybe I play a game called ED so I don't have to think about it. Who knows. Life is so very short.but for 20 years after my tragedy I spent a lot of time helping others while making a living. Financially I was a huge success and at times national corporations bid on my talents to get their technicians trained dealing with million dollar accounts. I saved a 3 million dollar school account for Dell after another company's Techs messed up an upgrade. Some techs are totally an expert in their field but couldn't have a decent conversation with a human or a cat. Others can totally relate to humans but don't have the technology skills to resolve their issues. It only took a major tragedy in my life to dial it in when others couldn't compete. It wasn't worth it.

Here is something that I posted on FaceBook a long time a go. Maybe it will help others to seek an answer they need.

Love to All

Last edited:

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator

Sorry to hear that.

@Hooplah Again I'm very sorry to hear that. I can't imagine what you went through.

Last edited:
I'm not quoting anyone because I don't want to come off addressing anybody's personal experiences of grief, as I cannot possible know your details, nor is it my place to comment. I do want to speak on end-of-life suffering that I've seen friends and family go through, and I think at least in my observations, much of this is because we humans hold onto life too long, often playing God ourselves.

We are living longer lives than ever thanks medical advances, yet the quality of that life in those extended years often isn't great. We keep ourselves alive through drugs, surgeries, and machines, when otherwise we might have passed on before the onset of debilitating diseases, many of these diseases caused by bad diets and environmental effects of all our wondrous technology (plastics, processed foods, resulting sedentary lifestyle, etc). We as a species are both Frankenstein and his monster... Much of our suffering is by our own making. Our hubris is our downfall, and now even our planet suffers because of it.

I've recently made radical changes to my diet, and I'm working on becoming more active. I'm doing everything I can to avoid prescription medication and unnecessary surgeries. My goal is not to live longer, but better. I'd rather die 10 years earlier with sound mind and body than have an extra 10 years of misery and being a burden to loved ones. Now I just need to convince them to let me go when that time comes.

Hey cmdrs this forum is for ED, so lets keep god out of this shall we.:rolleyes:
Actually, the forum is for off topic, and the only thing expressly against the rules is discussions of politics.

Edit: I see that it was moved here from somewhere else. Still, pretty picky comment wherever it was originally posted.

Last edited:
Hee Hee.

The proof of Evolution is in the rocks - we all have millions of cells made up of bits of ancestors and other people - Evolution more than suggests a self aware Being transcends physical death and passes to another dimension -

there, is some food for thought... :giggle:

I'm not quoting anyone because I don't want to come off addressing anybody's personal experiences of grief, as I cannot possible know your details, nor is it my place to comment. I do want to speak on end-of-life suffering that I've seen friends and family go through, and I think at least in my observations, much of this is because we humans hold onto life too long, often playing God ourselves.

We are living longer lives than ever thanks medical advances, yet the quality of that life in those extended years often isn't great. We keep ourselves alive through drugs, surgeries, and machines, when otherwise we might have passed on before the onset of debilitating diseases, many of these diseases caused by bad diets and environmental effects of all our wondrous technology (plastics, processed foods, resulting sedentary lifestyle, etc). We as a species are both Frankenstein and his monster... Much of our suffering is by our own making. Our hubris is our downfall, and now even our planet suffers because of it.

I've recently made radical changes to my diet, and I'm working on becoming more active. I'm doing everything I can to avoid prescription medication and unnecessary surgeries. My goal is not to live longer, but better. I'd rather die 10 years earlier with sound mind and body than have an extra 10 years of misery and being a burden to loved ones. Now I just need to convince them to let me go when that time comes.
I have to second this sentiment 100%
Longer life is a good thing only when it's worth living.

Again, I don't intend to preach, but I can't resist being mischieveous here. Who first said the "do unto others..." thing?

The golden rule was formulated centuries, if not millennia, before Jesus supposedly lived. Just one of the many things the authors of the Bible were ignorant of. Maybe the Holy Spirit had an off day, maybe the authors were just poorly educated mortals with limited awareness of the history of our species.

We will never know. ;)

with regards to living longer...
if humans had the power to increase the speed and rotation of the earth effectively doubling its speed and rotation...
would people then live twice their age? lol

with regards to living longer...
if humans had the power to increase the speed and rotation of the earth effectively doubling its speed and rotation...
would people then live twice their age? lol
Well, you would be a little lighter so your joints wouldn't wear as much. That is, until few generations after when the joints would accomodate and become weaker. :LOL:

Actually, the forum is for off topic, and the only thing expressly against the rules is discussions of politics.

Edit: I see that it was moved here from somewhere else. Still, pretty picky comment wherever it was originally posted.
This started in the ED discussion forum which is for discussing the game in general, NOT the meaning of life and creation etc. And i'm certainly not going to open that can of worms because no one wins that argument.:sleep:

The golden rule was formulated centuries, if not millennia, before Jesus supposedly lived. Just one of the many things the authors of the Bible were ignorant of. Maybe the Holy Spirit had an off day, maybe the authors were just poorly educated mortals with limited awareness of the history of our species.

We will never know. ;)
Have you got a reference for the golden rule predating Jesus? I'm genuinely interested.

Have you got a reference for the golden rule predating Jesus? I'm genuinely interested.

Here are just a few examples. In truth the Golden Rule is so incredible common throughout history that those who study ethics generally hold it to be a fundamental principle found in human culture on every continent. Don't get me wrong, it isn't a bad general rule. But it is as much 'typically Christian' as the 'don't kill others' commandment: you find it in the overwhelming majority of religions throughout the ages. You have a couple of basic rules that are seemingly essential for a tribe to prosper, and these have been handed down from generation to generation, religion to religion, civilization to civilization, in one form or another. Different continents, prophets, gods, beliefs, origin stories etc etc, but in the end more or less the same stories. Be nice, be thankful for what you have, try not to pillage and assault others too often, work hard, don't lie.

Anyway:

The Pahlavi Texts of Zoroastrianism (c. 300 BC–1000 AD): "Whatever is disagreeable to yourself do not do unto others." Shayast-na-Shayast 13:29 and "That nature alone is good which refrains from doing to another whatsoever is not good for itself." Dadisten-I-dinik, 94,5

"Avoid doing what you would blame others for doing." – Thales (c. 624 BC – c. 546 BC)
"Do not do to others that which angers you when they do it to you." – Isocrates (436–338 BC)

Siddhartha Gautama, c. 623–543 BC "Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful." (Dhammapada 10. Violence)

Confucius (551–479 BC):"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself"

— Mozi, c. 400 BC. "If people regarded other people’s states in the same way that they regard their own, who then would incite their own state to attack that of another? For one would do for others as one would do for oneself. If people regarded other people’s cities in the same way that they regard their own, who then would incite their own city to attack that of another? For one would do for others as one would do for oneself. If people regarded other people’s families in the same way that they regard their own, who then would incite their own family to attack that of another? For one would do for others as one would do for oneself. And so if states and cities do not attack one another and families do not wreak havoc upon and steal from one another, would this be a harm to the world or a benefit? Of course one must say it is a benefit to the world."

"A man should wander about treating all creatures as he himself would be treated." — Sutrakritanga, 1.11.33 (+-400 BC)

"If the entire Dharma can be said in a few words, then it is—that which is unfavorable to us, do not do that to others." — Padmapuraana, shrushti 19/357–358 (hard to date, 400-1200BC)

tl;dr if you can think of an alternative way to phrase the Golden Rule, someone wrote it down thousands of years ago. :)

Last edited:
I have to second this sentiment 100%
Longer life is a good thing only when it's worth living.
I sometimes enjoy walking in old cemeteries, even back when I was young. Based on the ages of people in the ground who lived 100 years ago, I've already have had a full and long (and probably way less hard) life.

Top Bottom