Re: Undiscovered Systems

o7

I've mentioned this before but I need to ask again. Are there any systems that have not been discovered yet.. it matters not which direction i travel up down left right backwards forwards.. every system encountered has been discovered. In which direction do I need to head to find a system that has not been frequented at some point.

O7
Best ways to find undiscovered systems, in my experience:
  • Do not go straight towards any famous nebula, stars, or other astronomical phenomenon, especially when you’re somewhere else equally famous. Others have had that idea, and have already discovered most of the systems along the way.
  • Do not go 100, 500, or 1000 light years radially away from your famous starting position, if you decide you want to ignore the advice above. Others have had that idea, and and have already already discovered most of the systems along the way.
  • Do not travel 1000, 2000, or 5000 spinward or anti-spinward from your famous starting position, if you decide to ignore the above advice. Others have had that idea, and have already discovered most of the systems along the way.
  • That idea you just had? Chances are others have already thought of it, and have already discovered most of the systems along the way. ;)
IIRC, 99.97% of the galaxy remains unexplored, but most of what has been explored is along the routes too and from the real life astronomical objects Frontier added. The best chance you have to find undiscovered systems is to head in a random direction. If you’re somewhere famous (like the Bubble), and going somewhere else famous, you’re traveling over well worn paths.

Yes, though that number is shrinking daily. I’ve been in totally undiscovered space for 30 weeks, discovering everything out here.

Keep off the Galactic plain .... as has been said before, drop down, or go up by about 500 ly and you will discover new systems sooner as you proceed.

Keep jumping for a while, without checking anything in order to build up some distance between the Bubble and your position.

Drop down even further than 500 (or climb above) if you wish, although in some areas stars start to get scarce and then you find a lot of discovered systems again because everyone is channelled into those areas.

Deleted member 38366

D
This graph probably shows it best :
( Source : https://edastro.com , visit for all Maps and HighRES Images )

visited-systems.png

But you don't have to go that far off the beaten track to find HUGE swathes of undiscovered systems.

I'm about 500LY off the main Colonia <-> SagA* corridor and out of the last 11000 systems I've scanned only 3 have been visited by someone before me.

Happy hunting o7

This is a bit arbitrary but if i want some discoveries i tend to go directly "up" or "down" from the galactic plane about 2-300ly and then head out, as Spock says many commanders seem limited to thinking in 2 dimensions.

Obviously round the bubble more is found but even on the major sightseeing routes you can often find fresh systems just by picking the next star manually.

o7

I've mentioned this before but I need to ask again. Are there any systems that have not been discovered yet.. it matters not which direction i travel up down left right backwards forwards.. every system encountered has been discovered. In which direction do I need to head to find a system that has not been frequented at some point.

O7
Fly "up" above the galactic plain, about 1000ly should do it, then go in almost any direction, except towards the core (because it's well travelled).
Then you'll be stumbling over loads of systems.

If you really want to guarantee you find virgin systems, fly as high or as low as you can possibly go, and work your way around the sparsely populated areas.
Just don't get stuck, refuel fully at every available star, and never run below 50% fuel (so you can definitely get back to the previous scoopable star).
I advise you take an extra fuel tank for this.

But, that view of the galaxy from up there is breathtaking. :)

l0wQxfY.jpg

Last edited:
Fly "up" above the galactic plain, about 1000ly should do it, then go in almost any direction, except towards the core (because it's well travelled).
Then you'll be stumbling over loads of systems.

If you really want to guarantee you find virgin systems, fly as high or as low as you can possibly go, and work your way around the sparsely populated areas.
Just don't get stuck, refuel fully at every available star, and never run below 50% fuel (so you can definitely get back to the previous scoopable star).
I advise you take an extra fuel tank for this.

But, that view of the galaxy from up there is breathtaking. :)

l0wQxfY.jpg
Wow.. that Is so cool. I've gotten two 64t fuel tanks and 1.4t p/s fuel scoop

o7

O7
Have you checked EVERY system in the game's galaxy? :p

My Advice (Due to 1,000 ly around the bubble being discovered) find a nice nebula or just a interesting spot at least 7,000 ly away. Then plot a dog leg route in any direction up, down, left, right of about 1,000ly mid point and pretty much everything will be undiscovered (Until you discover it) take a detailed surface scanner with you and when you find that ringed Earth-like you can put your name on it :)

Most nebulae are commander magnets. Usually won't find a lot of undiscovered in the vicinity.

Keep off the Galactic plain .... as has been said before, drop down, or go up by about 500 ly and you will discover new systems sooner as you proceed.

Keep jumping for a while, without checking anything in order to build up some distance between the Bubble and your position.

Drop down even further than 500 (or climb above) if you wish, although in some areas stars start to get scarce and then you find a lot of discovered systems again because everyone is channelled into those areas.

Get down to +/- 1000 ly, jump on the neutron superhighway speed out to about 7k or so ly and start scanning.

Top Bottom